• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI Will Be Full Of Twists, Surprises And Homages, No Plans For DLC

Slime

Banned
If DQXI ends up being a prequel to the prequel, it would be cool if they used the DQIII assets to make a little post-credits scenario, a la Lunar 2's epilogue.

ZeroD

Looking forward to experiencing this on launch, will be the first DQ I have been able to. Gone all in on the double pack and the special 2DS, super excited for Saturday!

Kanann

Some copies are on the wild now in Japan this noon (wiki sites got them)

30 hours left for digital pre-ordered.

Time for import OT.

Really looking forward to some dense and creative scenarios. DQVII is the gold standard for that but we'll see if this is up there as well.

Preload started btw.
Game size is 40+ GB
10 GB needed in order to start the game and another 30 for the whole game.
Plus there are 2 preorder dlc cosmetic items

ZeroD

Some copies are on the wild now in Japan this noon (wiki sites got them)

30 hours left for digital pre-ordered.

Time for import OT.

I always wondered where people get early copies in Japan. Would be cool to know for the future

MADGAME

This will be my first Dragon Quest game, looking forward to playing it on PS4.

Do we know i details about the story? I don't want spoilers, I just want to know if it's dark.

Kanann

I always wondered where people get early copies in Japan. Would be cool to know for the future

Every consumer products need to be stock at whole sell or cargo stations before hit street date.

If you have friend there or connection, it's yours.

Some of them sit there before launch like 1 month, but not in DQ11 case it seem, even review copies are late.

ethomaz

Banned
Thanks God for a full complete JRPG like old days.

DLC to fix and add things that should be complete from launch is ridiculous.

Sayad

The thought of “I want them to play on the big screen and enjoy with family and friends” was one of Horii’s ideas for the PS4 version.
This doesn't make sense with the game having no VA! Do families sit around reading text on TV?!

The PS4 version will have something similar to a confirm button for L2, so it can actually be played using one hand.

That's awesome. More JRPGS need to do this. I remember Bravely Default did something similar and almost the entire game could be played with just the D-Pad and it was so awesome.

_Ryo_

I love how DQ lets you play one handed. I once accidentally slammed right hand in a door, and it hurt too much to play games with but I could still play DQVIII with my left hand by itself.

ethomaz

Banned
This doesn't make sense with the game having no VA! Do families sit around reading text on TV?!
That is pretty common.

Maybe is not something in US but that how it works for most of people that watch movies, series or play games outside (I'm from Brasil btw... I always play/watch with original audio plus subtitles even when I have Portuguese BR audio).

Raw64life

I'm very tempted to get the 3DS version. I feel like it has less of a chance of getting localized than the PS4 version, and even if they both get localized, I'm not going to want to play them at the same time.

Aeana

I've been going back and forth in agony for weeks, but I think I've finally decided to do 3DS first. This decision is final.

Until I change my mind again.

I hope one of the twist is that the "main character" dies after the prologue, because man does he look bad. I can't get over the haircut. Too much purple, too.

Raw64life

What's even the best place to import games from these days? I haven't imported anything in about a decade.

Also just realized 3DS isn't region free so I'm gonna have to figure out how to remedy that.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
I am on the fence of buying it and playing it through in Japanese. My Japanese is a bit rusty, especially the Kanji department, so I have my doubts still. And also, JPN PSN codes have a 10 % markup everywhere, while amazon.co.jp is cheaper, I'd have to wait for the package and pay for additional import taxes, so the difference in price melts with those.
So I'd probably go with PSN.

Aeana, I think I need your expert advice on what to do :p

I am on the fence of buying it and playing it through in Japanese. My Japanese is a bit rusty, especially the Kanji department, so I have my doubts still.

Maybe do 3DS then? It's got furigana, which may help!

I think I've settled on going 3DS for now because of that. Would make it a bit easier for me, especially since my Japanese reading speed is still pretty slow (and I have to look up a lot)... and yet the PS4 version looks so pretty so hmmmm

Kanann

What's even the best place to import games from these days? I haven't imported anything in about a decade.

Also just realized 3DS isn't region free so I'm gonna have to figure out how to remedy that.

Import both 2DSXL and DQXI then.

I am on the fence of buying it and playing it through in Japanese. My Japanese is a bit rusty, especially the Kanji department, so I have my doubts still. And also, JPN PSN codes have a 10 % markup everywhere, while amazon.co.jp is cheaper, I'd have to wait for the package and pay for additional import taxes, so the difference in price melts with those.
So I'd probably go with PSN.

Aeana, I think I need your expert advice on what to do :p

Just throw money at DQ goddammit!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can play with one hand?

I can puff puff while playing then.

NSESN

If you don't mind your 3DS you can make it region free. I don't know if it works with eshop tho.

I've been going back and forth in agony for weeks, but I think I've finally decided to do 3DS first. This decision is final.

Play in 2D first, then in 3D, then the PS4 version. It'll be like playing remakes released simultaneously!

clem84

Gold Member
Guys, the Japanese version that's about to come out, it will work on a north American PS4 right?

I'll have to wait till the 30th to start this. I've only played VII so far, but I've enjoyed it. This is coming from a person who used to have an attitude about DQ.

clem84

Gold Member

That's probably better. You'll enjoy the game's combat, story and music on the 3DS, then you'll be floored by the PS4 version's graphics when you play it. Going from PS4 to 3DS might have been difficult.

You will have no problems playing if you buy this either physically or digitally
Ps4 is region free

Yep - PS4 is region free. You can even set up a Japanese PSN account and nab it from there (if you get a Japanese PSN card).

Thanks. Good to know.

ethomaz

Banned
Guys, the Japanese version that's about to come out, it will work on a north American PS4 right?
PS4 region free so no issue at all.

The only think you need to match (not talking about DQXI only of course) is DLC that needs to be from the same region than the main game (physical or digital).

Raw64life

If you don't mind your 3DS you can make it region free. I don't know if it works with eshop tho.

I plan on getting physical so not a concern.

I'm also pretty sure I'm never buying another 3DS game ever again after this so I'm willing to hack mine as much as I need to in order to play this game.

Aeana

Hacking a 3DS for the purpose of region freeness is extremely, extremely easy these days. http://3ds.guide
Once you have the custom firmware installed as per there, you can do everything including use the eShop and update to the latest firmware whenever it's released.

Aeana

I'm compiling a list of spells of restoration for the OT. I have the one from the Hiroyuki Yamada/Yuji Horii video, and the one from DQ2 that's confirmed to work. If anybody comes across any more, let me know. I'll also add some of the special ones from DQ1 and DQ2 that haven't been confirmed to work so people can try them and see.

DKHF

Non-plot related/not-hidden DQXI PS4 trophy spoiler:
Wow lol there is a trophy called "Pafu pafu master"...

"Dragon Quest XI Will Be Full Of Twists, Surprises And Homages, No Plans For DLC"

So there will be DLC, just when we least expect it?

Top Bottom