• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fall Update for Xbox One starting to roll out today

ViciousDS

Banned
excuse the phone pic but it gets the issue across. Before the fall update blurays looked the same as my stand alone now its messed up just like it was and way i left the alpha program and other issues.

fall update
UGOKE26.jpg

Stand alone samsung 4K and how Xbox looked before update
Sru22w4.jpg

that's.......really disgusting

Z_Y

excuse the phone pic but it gets the issue across. Before the fall update blurays looked the same as my stand alone now its messed up just like it was and way i left the alpha program and other issues.

fall update
UGOKE26.jpg

Sru22w4.jpg

Jesus Mary and Joseph, MS. I hope they sort that shit out quick. That will drive me nuts. Have you tried another display by chance?

MrBenchmark

Jesus Mary and Joseph, MS. I hope they sort that shit out quick. That will drive me nuts. Have you tried another display by chance?

same result on my sons Xbox One S now that he got the update today on his LG 4K TV.

And it's just 4K Bluray disks regular Bluray's and DVD's play perfect.

Z_Y

I've had it for couple weeks and my kinect functionality has taken an even deeper dive.

Seriously why is my kinect just getting worse and worse?

I’ve noticed this too. It’s basically useless now for tv control. Sucks to hear the update is making it worse.

fall update
UGOKE26.jpg

Sru22w4.jpg

Holy crap that's atrocious.

MrBenchmark

Oh wow. That’s terrible. Is there anyway we can upvote your complaint?

i tweeted about it and have to reply later with some info they want me to display with the bluray app. But i reported this over and over when i was still in preview program. I left because of this and when my consoles rolled back playback was perfect but here we are they release this into the wild now i cant roll back to anything.

KageMaru

i tweeted about it and have to reply later with some info they want me to display with the bluray app. But i reported this over and over when i was still in preview program. I left because of this and when my consoles rolled back playback was perfect but here we are they release this into the wild now i cant roll back to anything.

If you can share the follow up tweet, we can retweet it to get more attention.

Very nice update. Smooth and very fast on my XBoxS. Had to reboot to get it to recognize my external and had to reselect my background. Other than that, looks great!

MrBenchmark

Yeah, share and we can help boost visibility on this.

this is the tweet i sent https://twitter.com/JJHoalt/status/920070711120683009

xbox support replied thru PM so i have to answer that when i get back to do what they asked. But i know they will ask ask me to remove and reinstall the app just like i did when i was in the preview. nothing fixed it before except rolling back to the release dash. Of course now this is the release dash..

Hawk269

Update is fantastic. I have not tried the 4k Blu Ray yet, but I remember having that issue a while back but for some reason it was mainly with Batman vs. Superman. I will try to test later tonight, but I hope it get's fixed regardless really quick. Has anyone tweeted Mike Yabrra the issue yet? I don't tweet so I cannot. I am sure they will fix it, but more pressure the better.

Anyways, the update is just great. I really like it and it is damn fast. I love some of the added stuff. I upgraded my internet speed and no matter which Xbox S I use (my or my wife) it would never show anything higher than 320 down, I just tested with the new dash and it was showing 580+. In Network they have a new NAT test as well.

Great Job MS...NOW FIX THE 4K BLU RAY ISSUE. You are the only player in the console market to have a UHD player, don't upset consumers with a broken UHD APP...especially with the Xbox One X coming soon.

RedToad64

I’m not a fan of the design. Just my opinion, but this is the first dashboard iteration that has felt like a step backwards to me. At least it is faster.

I’m not a fan of the design. Just my opinion, but this is the first dashboard iteration that has felt like a step backwards to me. At least it is faster.

I don't like it either. Everything is too big on the home screen, why does everything have to be so God damn big

Bsigg12

fall update
UGOKE26.jpg

Sru22w4.jpg

Yea I noticed this shit as well. I've been reporting it every time I watch a movie because it's a disaster.

MrBenchmark

Yea I noticed this shit as well. I've been reporting it every time I watch a movie because it's a disaster.

And if you notice you put in the regular Bluray of the movie and its fine but any 4k disc it does that. I reported this so much i can not believe it made release.

Gonna update when I get home! I hope I have enough space, my Xbone is packed to the gills with games and I don't have a spare external drive to use... D:

Also holy fuck, what on earth is going on in those pictures. I hope for the sake of everyone that uses 4K ( can't, OG Xbone here) that they fix that immediately good lord.

Hawk269

fall update
UGOKE26.jpg

Sru22w4.jpg

I just tested this on my end and I do not have this issue. I know what to look for as I did have this issue a while back and then they did an update that fixed it. Back then the issue was with Batman vs. Superman where it would exactly like your top screen shot and I also had a Samsung UHD player that looked like your bottom pic. I just tested BvsS on my Sony 4k 940d with my Wife's just updated system and the black bars where pitch black, so no issue on my end as of yet. When I get a chance I will take it upstairs and try it on my new LG OLED to see how it looks and will also try a few more movies. But when I had this issue a while back, it was with the same Sony 940d that I was having the issue with. I don't really remember if it was happening with other movies, but it was enough just to have it with BvS and it was irritating and I pretty much used the Samsung until they fixed it. I had the Samsung in our Living room but moved it to my game room. But they fixed it pretty quick, so my wife was no longer upset that I took the Samsung. Ended up getting her a "S" anyways too. lol

Regardless of my results, I hope they fix it. Which movie are you testing with? I want to see if I have the same movie so I can do an Apples to Apples using the same movie to ensure that I don't have this problem.

My wife, which I just updated her system loves that the dash is so much faster and she loved setting up her new home screens. She also requested I set up her external with all her games and that I checked off the Xbox One X updates. She is not a huge gamer and before we met she rarely ever played a game, but she digs playing some on-line MP games with me, ESO, Division and she even beat Diablo 3, which I have yet to do myself. Anyways, she loves the new dash and prefers the bright (360 esque) look instead of the Dark.

MrBenchmark

I just tested this on my end and I do not have this issue. I know what to look for as I did have this issue a while back and then they did an update that fixed it. Back then the issue was with Batman vs. Superman where it would exactly like your top screen shot and I also had a Samsung UHD player that looked like your bottom pic. I just tested BvsS on my Sony 4k 940d with my Wife's just updated system and the black bars where pitch black, so issue on my end. When I get a chance I will take it upstairs and try it on my new LG OLED to see how it looks. But when I had this issue a while back, it was with the same Sony 940d that I was having the issue with. I don't really remember if it was happening with other movies, but it was enough just to have it with BvS and it was irritating.

Regardless of my results, I hope they fix it. Which movie are you testing with? I want to see if I have the same movie so I can do an Apples to Apples using the same movie to ensure that I don't have this problem.

My wife, which I just updated her system loves that the dash is so much faster and she loved setting up her new home screens. She also requested I set up her external with all her games and that I checked off the Xbox One X updates. She is not a huge gamer and before we met she rarely ever played a game, but she digs playing some on-line MP games with me, ESO, Division and she even beat Diablo 3, which I have yet to do myself. Anyways, she loves the new dash and prefers the bright (360 esque) look instead of the Dark.

alien covenant , but i can use any movie and duplicate it. 4K disc does it and regular bluray of same movie is fine.

my TV is a 2014 Vizio P55 and my Son has a LG 49UH6090 mine runs thru my AVR just like my stand alone 4K player my Sons is connected right into tv. Neither TV supports HDR. Both played movie perfect yesterday before todays update.

Like i said this is why i left the preview program after years of testing since 360 days.

One other thing i noticed, you cant choose the XBOX formatted drive for external capture - has to be another NTFS. So you cant have the game/external drive you may have all your games on for your captures as well. Going to have to get ANOTHER external for something fun like that! Havent tested the new 1080p capture quality either.

fall update
UGOKE26.jpg

Sru22w4.jpg

I can confirm i have the same issue. Tested with various blu-rays/4k UHDs on my XBOneS. It looks like the black level/adjust got messed with it. TOTALLY throws of the black range. Let me know how i can boost the signal on this.

Chrisdk

Great update. My Xbox One is now as fast as my PS4. It might even be faster. I'm already used to the new UI and dashboard, doesn't really seem like a big deal to me that they changed the UI a bit. I never really got the complaints about it, it takes like 10 minutes to learn to navigate.

I only have two minor complaints. They changed the background from black to dark grey and i can't seem to change the color of it. Dark grey is pretty depressing to look at, not sure who was behind that stupid decision. Give us back the black background, it looked way better and more modern. The other complaint is that the add now feels intrusive. It was a small square before and now it's a bigger square and more centered.

But it's a real good start with the new UI, the most important thing is how fast it is. I'm sure Microsoft will try and fix some of the smaller kinks in later updates.

xbox support replied thru PM so i have to answer that when i get back to do what they asked. But i know they will ask ask me to remove and reinstall the app just like i did when i was in the preview. nothing fixed it before except rolling back to the release dash. Of course now this is the release dash..
Thanks. I @majornelson'd it on my retweet, which often gets traction too.

I got an mid range level 4K TV for free recently, and have pre-ordered an X to go with it, in no small part because I have nothing that plays UHD Blu-Rays. I've already grabbed a couple of UHD discs that were on offer.

Fredrik

Fix the UHD blu-ray black level issue MS! This is one of the reasons I have preordered the new console! Don't mess this up!

Hawk269

alien covenant , but i can use any movie and duplicate it. 4K disc does it and regular bluray of same movie is fine.

my TV is a 2014 Vizio P55 and my Son has a LG 49UH6090 mine runs thru my AVR just like my stand alone 4K player my Sons is connected right into tv. Neither TV supports HDR. Both played movie perfect yesterday before todays update.

Like i said this is why i left the preview program after years of testing since 360 days.

I don't have that one, but I will test some other movies. I know how frustrating this can be, when the "S" first came out I was having this issue and just used the dedicated player, but they fixed it pretty quick. Hopefully this is acknowledged and fixed because I remember it being so bad that it was pointless to watch a 4k movie with gamma screwed.

I can confirm i have the same issue. Tested with various blu-rays/4k UHDs on my XBOneS. It looks like the black level/adjust got messed with it. TOTALLY throws of the black range. Let me know how i can boost the signal on this.

Just tested with the Wonder Woman 4k UHD / HDR and it was fine. Also tried the Wonder Woman 1080p disc and the black levels were OK there as well.

X1S / LG B6 OLED / Onkyo TX-NR656

MrBenchmark

Just tested with the Wonder Woman 4k UHD / HDR and it was fine. Also tried the Wonder Woman 1080p disc and the black levels were OK there as well.

X1S / LG B6 OLED / Onkyo TX-NR656

now you have HDR so the question is what did they do that is messing up the picture on 4k non HDR screens that wasn't broken before.

My Samsung UBD-K8500 4K player works perfect and runs through the same AVR Yamaha RX-V581 into Input 5 on my Vizio P55 2014 model.

So no those with issues HDR or no HDR is the question? they must have screwed something up in the software.

Hawk269

now you have HDR so the question is what did they do that is messing up the picture on 4k non HDR screens that wasn't broken before.

My Samsung UBD-K8500 4K player works perfect and runs through the same AVR Yamaha RX-V581 into Input 5 on my Vizio P55 2014 model.

So no those with issues HDR or no HDR is the question? they must have screwed something up in the software.

When I tested my Sony it was also in HDR. So what you are saying is that 4k/non-HDR is broken? I can turn off HDR on my set to see if I get the same result. I will post back when I do that test.

charpunk

Just tested it on my 4K HDR Sony TV, tried a few different movies and all of them were fine. Compared them to a standalone player and it looked identical. HDR was enabled.

Like the speed and the simple clean guide, left/right is way better than vertical.

Not loving all the other layout changes.

Like the white theme, but not a fan of the weird fuzzy highlight around selected menu items.

I thought when folks had been talking about pinning stuff to home it meant on that first page of the first screen, not as a giant block down below but ahead of the Pins.

Instead half of the pins are Xbox game ads or news that I can't change and it doesn't seem like you can change where Recents sit either? Unless I missed something? Bummer.

Also annoying that you can't just pick those little rectangles and just have to like/dislike them.

Really all I want is something like a top 10 Favorite Pins as the first page, and show some of the extended info about those games when I have them selected.

If there has to be ads I wish they were in there own panel and not mixed in with my own games.

Like the speed and the simple clean guide, left/right is way better than vertical.

Not loving all the other layout changes.

Like the white theme, but not a fan of the weird fuzzy highlight around selected menu items.

I thought when folks had been talking about pinning stuff to home it meant on that first page of the first screen, not as a giant block down below but ahead of the Pins.

Instead half of the pins are Xbox game ads or news that I can't change and it doesn't seem like you can change where Recents sit either? Unless I missed something? Bummer.

Also annoying that you can't just pick those little rectangles and just have to like/dislike them.

Really all I want is something like a top 10 Favorite Pins as the first page, and show some of the extended info about those games when I have them selected.

If there has to be ads I wish they were in there own panel and not mixed in with my own games.

Recents stay at the top, but you can move everything else by going to that block and hitting Y, then using the d pad or left analog.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Glad I checked this thread, quickly disabled auto update. My Xbox is my 4K BR player and I don't want to fuck it up.

MrBenchmark

Again please excuse the crude images.

Fifth Element 4K Xbox One S

7bW6CW3.jpg

Fifth Element Blu-Ray Xbox One S

dEXeF1d.jpg

Samsung 4K player and 4K disc
ffeNjdw.jpg

You can fix the "gray" blacks with a hard reboot. Hope they provide a permanent fix as it seems random.

I rebooted my XBOX to fix the external drive not appearing, but it did not fix the 4k black level problem. For more data, it must be 4k non HDR sets - of which I have. On my mid level, older Vizio with no HDR but 4k I get washed out colors like the posts above on UHDs but normal on BLU-Rays. Seems like a software update is needed.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I hated this dash when they first showed it off but the tweaks have really improved it. I love that it’s now a blending of the day one dash and the one we just left.

Still some sluggishness here and there but overall I’m happy with it.

KageMaru

Retweeted and added major Nelson as well. Does it make a difference whether the 4K bluray supports HDR or not? I understand they all are supposed to support HDR as standard now but outside of the resolution difference, HDR support is the only other difference I can think of.

MrBenchmark

Retweeted and added major Nelson as well. Does it make a difference whether the 4K bluray supports HDR or not? I understand they all are supposed to support HDR as standard now but outside of the resolution difference, HDR support is the only other difference I can think of.

i can duplicate it with every 4k disk i have. the regular BR disk no issues DVD no issues. My TV has no HDR nor does my sons i can duplicate this on his too and his system runs right into his TV. Mine runs thru a AVR that is fully HDMI and HDR compliant only my tv doesnt support HDR but before this update on the old dash all disks worked perfect.

I reported this issue over and over in the preview program and it went unfixed i left the program and rolled back to stable dash and issue was gone and now that they have pushed this dash out it's once again broken.

Because of it i spent 300 on a stand alone unit since they couldnt fix the issue.

Its definite the HDR to SDR conversion that the system is doing. It must be mapping the HDR color scale incorrectly to the SDR or just assuming all 4k is HDR enabled. Its too bad there isnt a toggle or something in a setting screen. I mean the 4K details screen says if there is HDR or not - must not extend to the Blu-Ray app.

MrBenchmark

Its definite the HDR to SDR conversion that the system is doing. It must be mapping the HDR color scale incorrectly to the SDR or just assuming all 4k is HDR enabled. Its too bad there isnt a toggle or something in a setting screen. I mean the 4K details screen says if there is HDR or not - must not extend to the Blu-Ray app.
It’s somethimg system level because the dash isn’t black either it’s more grey brown than black. The bluray app hasn’t been updated and was working perfect before today’s update.

It’s certain things the 4k discs the dash background. Both of these looked normal before this update was applied.

sKiTz

Ummm is this 4k Blu Ray issue only happening with certain people’s sets, mine is perfect on my Sony 800XD.

MrBenchmark

Ummm is this 4k Blu Ray issue only happening with certain people’s sets, mine is perfect on my Sony 800XD.
Seems to me that with this update they have messed up HDR detection your tv supports hdr so you see no issue myself and others without HDR seem to have this issue and did not yesterday.

And it’s definitely the system as myself and others with stand alone players on same setup have no playback issues. They definitely broke something! And have completely ignored it for months as I first reported this in preview sceral months back many time and submitted reports on it.

Top Bottom