• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy carries his ar-15 to go shopping at JC Penny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valnen

being legal doesn't matter much - people go to jail for decades over pot busts. the law isn't always right, stop repeating that like it validates your point

People told me I was an idiot for that stance on a different topic. If something is legal you really don't have any right to complain about it.

being legal doesn't matter much - people go to jail for decades over pot busts. the law isn't always right, stop repeating that like it validates your point.

i get that you like war video games or whatever but in the real world carrying around an ar-15 in a public place likes mall is unbelievably stupid and shows a high level irresponsiblity. the guy should have his guns taken away from him asap. i mean shit, no doubt there were kids in the store at the time.

Being legal matters a lot actually. You seem to have problems with people carrying a rifle in public but what about a handgun? I even said I don't carry a gun in public.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Both are completely legal. It being insane is just your opinion.

The insanity is being so detached from reality that you think people shouldn't react to a rifle being carried around a department store. This is not the sign of a responsible, rational thinking adult. You know, the kind of person who should own a weapon. It's the sign of a blustering idiot.

Gun supporters are doing themselves absolutely no favors by acting this way. All they're doing is driving moderates on this issue away. If the NRA and its supporters would stop focusing so damn much on the power fantasy of owning a gun they might just find out they have support outside of people who own them. Playing so heavily to their base is only enticing idiots like the JcPenny Desperado here and galvanizing the anti-gun movement.

tl;dr: Stupid stunts like these are only securing more support for anti-gun legislation. You're bringing this shit on yourselves.

The insanity is being so detached from reality that you think people shouldn't react to a rifle being carried around a department store. This is not the sign of a responsible, rational thinking adult. You know, the kind of person who should own a weapon. It's the sign of a blustering idiot.

Gun supporters are doing themselves absolutely no favors by acting this way. All they're doing is driving moderates on this issue away. If the NRA and its supporters would stop focusing so damn much on the power fantasy of owning a gun they might just find out they have support outside of people who own them. Playing so heavily to their base is only enticing idiots like the JcPenny Desperado here and galvanizing the anti-gun movement.

tl;dr: Stupid stunts like these are only securing more support for anti-gun legislation. You're bringing this shit on yourselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_carry
Read this.

Well the issue really is that the NRA supports the industry, not the people but somehow the people themselves don't recognize this.

This is why whenever there is a major shooting the NRA spreads the theory that "ok this is it. THIS one FINALLY did it and they're going to take your guns away.. so you better go out and buy as many as you can afford NOW even with the prices inflated to high hell."

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
note to self: shave beard and wear american flag pin on lapel when visiting NC for that wedding this summer

So your issue apparently is that you don't understand why people view rifles as more dangers than pistols?

Pistols are just as dangerous as rifles. My issue is that everyone is concerned over an unloaded gun when people are legally allowed to carry loaded guns. If someone really wants to shoot up a place they are not going to follow the law.

WanderingWind

Pistols are just as dangerous as rifles. My issue is that everyone is concerned over an unloaded gun when people are legally allowed to carry loaded guns. If someone really wants to shoot up a place they are not going to follow the law.

...and this line of logic then leads you to....?

Oh, right. People being concerned seeing rifles being carried through department stores, regardless of open carry laws.

Funny how that comes full circle, huh?

Kite

I've heard of open carry laws but never did much research into them. Go Texas, gaf loves to shit on my state but I'm glad we have a non-retarded open carry law.

Non-permissive open carry state
In these states, open carry of a handgun is not lawful, or is only lawful under such a limited set of circumstances that public carry is prohibited. Such limited circumstances may include when hunting, or while traveling to/from hunting locations, while on property controlled by the person carrying, or for lawful self-defense.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
And rifles are the best accessory.

what caliber goes best with a navy suit & brown shoes? i don't want to go "so summer" that i lose the formaility of it all.

Is the happy couple registered at Outdoor World? I know just what you can get them.

i'll hold off on that for a bit. after all, 5 years is the "hollow point" anniversary.

Anyone who carries in public can randomly start shooting people.

May I ask what issue you have with this then?

this is like arguing with a block of marble

Kite

Pistols are just as dangerous as rifles.
lol bullshit, pistols are inaccurate as hell. Took me several trips to the range for me to kinda sorta hit targets at 10m reliably with a m9. With a m4 (I'm told the ar15 is pretty much identical) that would be child's play.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've heard of open carry laws but never did much research into them. Go Texas, gaf loves to shit on my state but I'm glad we have a non-retarded open carry law.
hey I'll echo all that replacing "florida." surprised. I'll go to sleep slightly better than expected tonight...

Pistols are probably more dangerous in a setting such as a Department store due to ease of use but the point is that People are not accustomed to Rifles in such a setting and as such will generally assume that the appearance of a Rifle in such a setting reflects a desire to harm. After all Guns are harmful and there's no reasonable justification as to why anyone should feel the need to carry a weapon with power of a Rifle into such a location if they don't intend to harm.

lol bullshit, pistols are inaccurate as hell. Took me several trips to the range for me to kinda sorta hit targets at 10m reliably with a m9. With a m4 (I'm told the ar15 is pretty much identical) that would be child's play.

Pistols being less accurate than rifles makes them less dangerous?. Both can kill very easily look at VT shooting.

Kite

Pistols being less accurate than rifles makes them less dangerous?. Both can kill very easily look at VT shooting.
If the VT shooter had a rifle that has more firepower and is more accurate, I would not bet on a lower body count. Why do you argue stupid things?

And yet you don't understand why people would be concerned.

Yeah, you're either trolling or just...I don't know. Stoned/drunk off your gourd?

People might be concerned but it shouldn't matter they have nothing to worry about. Where do you live? Do people freak out whenever they see someone carrying a gun? I'm definitely not trolling.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The 'if someone wants to commit a crime it doesn't matter what the laws are' meme has to be the single stupidest fucking thing i've ever heard. And I've read NeoGAF for a decade.

Laws aren't meant to STOP criminals, they're meant to IDENTIFY them. Man you people are stupid.

beast786

the point is that People are not accustomed to Rifles in such a setting and as such will generally assume that the appearance of a Rifle in such a setting reflects a desire to harm. After all Guns are harmful and there's no reasonable justification as to why anyone should feel the need to carry a weapon with power of a Rifle into such a location if they don't intend to harm.

Seriously, this is it. how can anyone argue against common sense.

Kite

Florida is still batshit insane, don't let this single example fool you. I blame the heat, swamps and gators.

If the VT shooter had a rifle that has more firepower and is more accurate, I would not bet on a lower body count. Why do you argue stupid things?

I said pistols are just as dangerous as rifles. You said no. 32 people murdered tells me they can be very dangerous.

People might be concerned but it shouldn't matter they have nothing to worry about. Where do you live? Do people freak out whenever they see someone carrying a gun? I'm definitely not trolling.

In a world where an Army Major can suddenly turn on his fellow soldiers in a shooting spree on American Soil.. yes.. regular citizens can and do get very nervous when they see someone carrying a gun.

Like I said.. I've lived in CC states and when I noticed that someone is carrying a loaded gun, holstered or not.. legal or not.. I become quite nervous. I cannot guess what that person's mental state is. I don't know that person's temper and whether or not they can actually be trusted to keep the weapon holstered if they become upset.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The 'if someone wants to commit a crime it doesn't matter what the laws are' meme has to be the single stupidest fucking thing i've ever heard. And I've read NeoGAF for a decade.
The prevalence of this fallacy from Hannity on downward has been quite depressing to me as well, PanLo.
Florida is still batshit insane, don't let this single example fool you. I blame the heat, swamps and gators.
Do you mean gators or Gators? :p Some of us argue for rationality you know.

If only Hollywood could write comedy like this.

But this is exactly my point people carry both openly and concealed more than you probably know. Why aren't there thousands of shootings everyday? Majority of these people are responsible gun owners who follow the law. Nothing is stopping a crazy person from going on a rampage. Yet people seem to fear these gun owners, why?

WanderingWind

But this is exactly my point people carry both openly and concealed more than you probably know. Why aren't there thousands of shootings everyday? Majority of these people are responsible gun owners who follow the law. Nothing is stopping a crazy person from going on a rampage. Yet people seem to fear these gun owners, why?

Because

Anyone who carries in public can randomly start shooting people.

In a world where an Army Major can suddenly turn on his fellow soldiers in a shooting spree on American Soil.. yes.. regular citizens can and do get very nervous when they see someone carrying a gun.

Like I said.. I've lived in CC states and when I noticed that someone is carrying a loaded gun, holstered or not.. legal or not.. I become quite nervous. I cannot guess what that person's mental state is. I don't know that person's temper and whether or not they can actually be trusted to keep the weapon holstered if they become upset.

A person who is open carrying is already drawing attention to himself. I doubt some crazy person is going to be walking around with a holstered weapon before going on a killing spree.

Let me stop you right there. I've heard first hand accounts from multiple people who Conceal Carry where, in situations of heated discourse, they reveal they have a loaded weapon. Just because a person doesn't shoot someone with their weapon does not mean they're being responsible with it. In fact, a fairly large portion of people who DO conceal carry, do so for that exact trump card.

The "mess with me and I have the ability to end your life" card. Rather than being responsible and trying to resolve issues like mature adults, they'd rather flash a gun to end the conflict with a dominant and deadly threat.

People told me I was an idiot for that stance on a different topic. If something is legal you really don't have any right to complain about it.

So if someone just runs around screaming racial epithets at every person he sees, no one has a right to complain about it? No one has a right to complain about the Westboro Baptist Church protests with "God loves dead US soldiers"?

WanderingWind

You keep ignoring my points. You have a problem with guns but that's ok. With all the millions of guns in use and with all the carrying of firearms in public why are there so few shootings?

No, I'm holding you accountable for your words and not letting you change the narrative based on the fact that you realized you were wrong. People have a legitimate reason to be concerned with openly carried weapons in clothing stores. If you don't understand that, then you do not understand the words you've typed.

And please, tell me more about how I have a problem with guns, so that I can embarass you further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom