• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors Gamescom Trailer

Nah, that's only targeting 11 specific companies (Activision, Disney, Insomniac, VoiceWorks Productions, Blindlight, EA, Interactive Associates, WB, Corps of Discovery, ​​Formosa Interactive and Take 2). Nintendo, Sony, and others are fair game as far as I understand it.

Plus in addition to this, the Fire Emblem dubs are non-union to begin with, so the strike doesn't affect it.

Strimei

Nah, that's only targeting 11 specific companies (Activision, Disney, Insomniac, VoiceWorks Productions, Blindlight, EA, Interactive Associates, WB, Corps of Discovery, ​​Formosa Interactive and Take 2). Nintendo, Sony, and others are fair game as far as I understand it.

In regards to Activision, should specify its Activision Publishing that is being striked (struck?) against, not Activision-Blizzard as a whole. This is an important distinction as Blizzard is not a target and still works with the unions.

Giga Man

Not surprised they couldn't Elizabeth Daily back for Hinoka, but it still sucks. Cindy Robinson is a great VA, but the direction here is weak, and she's not the greatest replacement (I mean how do you replace Elizabeth Daily?! Her voice is so distinct).
They shouldn't have tried to emulate Buttercup original Hinoka. They should have tried a totally different approach.

Busaiku

Nintendo almost never uses union VAs regardless.
Those that are use aliases, or more often than not, are uncredited.

Eliseo

Something about this game isn't clicking on me, I don't know what it is. I was super excited for Hyrule warriors but this...I just can't.

Rayis

There are people saying this game looks graphically worse than Hyrule Warriors, How is that possible? Hyrule Warriors is an awful looking game, this is much better.

Aizo

Banned
Do you have a N3DS though? It's coming there too.
I forgot about that. I think I would avoid that, personally. I'm not a graphics snob, but I'd rather have a version that ran well. I don't trust Omega Force to put a game on handhelds that runs nearly as well as the console version. I was just playing Orochi Warriors 3 Ultimate two days ago on Vita, and I hate how characters popping in and out of range from special attacks. It doesn't just affect the look, but also the experience and currency you get due to attacks not registering properly.

Draxal

I forgot about that. I think I would avoid that, personally. I'm not a graphics snob, but I'd rather have a version that ran well. I don't trust Omega Force to put a game on handhelds that runs nearly as well as the console version. I was just playing Orochi Warriors 3 Ultimate two days ago on Vita, and I hate how characters popping in and out of range from special attacks. It doesn't just affect the look, but also the experience and currency you get due to attacks not registering properly.

There has been barely vids or screens of the 3ds version anyway, so its incredbibly easy to forget about.

Puruzi

Banned
Warriors gameplay, some garbage weeb art, and shite VA. Perfect.

Gonna need the new FE stat. Hopefully without the weeb art and shite VA.
It will have both.

Weeb art? Are you deadass it's a fucking japanese game

Jesus

Shengar

Weeb art? Are you deadass it's a fucking japanese game

Jesus

Don't you know that past Fire Emblem games does not weeb art aka art style that does not adhere to the popular aesthetic style to their time?

To be frankly honest, old fan with elitist attitude like that is the worst.

Shengar

You know what I meant. I thought Echoes was making some headway in this department and I hope there are extra characters to choose from. That right there is embarrassing and a 20-character lineup like that would get called out in any other game. All I see is whitewhitewhitewhitewhitewhitewhitewhite...
Err what? I was talking about weapon, not racial. And talking about racial diversity in Japanese fantasy game is silly to begin with.

I am just going to say this: Japan have different cultural and historical experience, and as such, those characters with European name in pseudo-Eropean setting are there as is. They don't have in their mind whether or not those characters are white because arbitrary American racial category by skin color would never come up in their mind. This is why in Fire Emblem, and other game most of the conflict are defined by clanship, kingdom, or tribe, rarely racial.
I mean, according to someone earlier in the thread, this is what we have so far:

That's still 50% swords - the same as the top 10 in the poll.
And you obviously don't care about representation, and that's fine. But don't pretend like it's an issue that people can't care about. I personally don't give a shit about weapon diversity as long as the characters I like are in (they're not), but I understand that it's important for other people.
The problem with character entry diversity is how it'll end up giving us more sword user because the Lords, which primarily use sword, have to be in the game before anyone besides them can join in.
Eh in a Warriors game everyone plays the "same" or "different" no matter what weapon they have depending on how you view the game. Pretty much everyone will have similar command combos but may have unique moves/abilities that would make them play completely different from each other. Hyrule Warriors is a good example of this when you look at its gameplay and characters.
They can make different lords having different moveset like Ryoma which actually use katana, and Xander that permanently ride a horse. But there's still a limit on how much you can diversify how a sword user plays.
I could have sworn that Fire Emblem was always anime as fuck. It was just anime of their times.

NO THE NEW FIRE EMBLEM IS ANIME THE OLD ONE IS CLASSIC FANTASY ON PAR WITH LOTR WEEBS RUIN IT ALL GOD CURSE YOU KOZAKI

jwhit28

I feel bad for the devs because I know they have admitted to arguments over the roster internally and with Nintendo, but I'm not feeling this roster.

Such diversity.

He's trolling there, because he uploaded the list for male characters. This is the list.

Fire-Emblem-Heroes-vote-tally.jpg

As for why there are more characters from Fire Emblem: Awakening and Fates (Birthright, Conquest and Revelation), Here's a chart of votes by game from that poll.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is very much "the Final Fantasy 7 of the series", while Fates would be a "Golden Era of Final Fantasy" entry. That more characters from those games are featured shouldn't be a surprise.

Oddish1

Fire Emblem: Awakening is very much "the Final Fantasy 7 of the series", while Fates would be a "Golden Era of Final Fantasy" entry. That more characters from those games are featured shouldn't be a surprise.

Probably good to remember that while Ike is very popular, his games are not. I wonder how well he'd do if he wasn't in Smash. Not to say he wouldn't be popular without it, but it certainly helps.

LordKano

I think the point he was trying to make is that the top three male characters (Ike, Roy, Hector) aren't in this game. Neither is the top female character (Lyn).

The thing is that they're choosing by games and not by characters. Ike is very popular, but his game and everyone else in it isn't. Same for the others. Awakening and Fates are the two games with the most popular characters in. And they picked Shadow Dragon because their game had to contain Marth.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The thing is that they're choosing by games and not by characters. Ike is very popular, but his game and everyone else in it isn't. Same for the others. Awakening and Fates are the two games with the most popular characters in. And they picked Shadow Dragon because their game had to contain Marth.

And still the roster isn't complete and Warriors games ha e always be Chara thrived by DLC packs also on Nintendo platforms
With the Fe amiibo out there...

NSESN

Black Knight is the most popular villain in the series. So it isn't only Ike that is popular. You also have Micaiah, Mia and Nephenee making the list. There's also the fact that characters from the duology had 2 versions to vote for.

Thorn

NO THE NEW FIRE EMBLEM IS ANIME THE OLD ONE IS CLASSIC FANTASY ON PAR WITH LOTR WEEBS RUIN IT ALL GOD CURSE YOU KOZAKI

The newer ones (Awakening, Fates) have characters with stupid looking hair. The skimpy armor is also incredibly dumb. But yeah, I get that weebs like that stuff

Malyse

Still not gonna buy it without Lyn. I'm dead serious; my purchase hinges entirely on the inclusion of one character.

Griss

This game is the anti Mario x Rabbids for me.

Mario x Rabbids - I can't believe such a shitty idea appears to have spawned such a wonderful game.
Fire Emblem Warriors - I can't believe such a good idea appears to have spawned such a terrible game.

I hate focussing on roster, but I genuinely hated Fates - only english released fire emblem I ever gave up on - and the amount of focus on that game and those characters in this one kills it stone dead for me. Such a damn shame.

Oddish1

Black Knight is the most popular villain in the series. So it isn't only Ike that is popular. You also have Micaiah, Mia and Nephenee making the list. There's also the fact that characters from the duology had 2 versions to vote for.

I think that says more about how poor Fire Emblem villains are than how great the Black Knight is. Michaiah is a lord for Radiant Dawn and the face of the game so making it at 9 isn't exactly great. And I remember when I tried totaling how much Nephenee would place with a combined total it also wasn't exactly great. I imagine the same is true for most PoR/RD characters, that combining them gives a small boost at best.

simonshinra

Neo Member
I really don't like how almost all the special attacks are "slash through air with the same graphical effect for all characters hitting the enemies" ending with a very forced cut-in of the character's face. I remember they were much better in Hyrule Warriors.

Golnei

stupid looking hair.

Code:
[IMG]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/1/10/Boey_(Gaiden_Manual_Artwork).png/revision/latest?cb=20130620080239[/IMG]
[IMG]https://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Gaiden/Update%2014/13-nlsjg7.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Blazing-Sword/Update%2029/48-E15P35.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Geneology-of-the-Holy-War/Update%2006/100-Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_(J)_00089.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/99JHd2IV-Rw/hqdefault.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/c/cb/Cecil_TCG1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110929060203[/IMG]
[IMG]https://fireemblemblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/makalov.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/3e5997fc3d0ab2cc1104b279271d9c00/tumblr_olk7jg3Xyk1v83vjro1_500.jpg[/IMG]

Thorn

Yes, there is dumb hair in the older ones (most of which I haven't played), but it is less common. I am more annoyed by the armor design.

spiritfox

Yes, there is dumb hair in the older ones (most of which I haven't played), but it is less common. I am more annoyed by the armor design.

Hoshido armor designs and Nohr male armor designs are great IMO. It's only female Nohr armors that have the stupid combat panties. Plus we have Selena in the most realistic design of a medieval padded armor to date in FE.

Lunar15

I can't say I've seen such a perfect combo turned into something so boring looking. I'm not even talking about the character selection.

Effect

I really don't understand some people's issues with this game. It looks better then Hyrule Warriors. It's styled after Fire Emblem. Do people not pay attention to the art style in the Fire Emblem games? Is the game suppose to not look like the series it's suppose to be apart of? I don't get the knock on the game on this front at all. I really don't.

Voice acting. I think people need to expand what they listen to. I've heard horrible voice acting in games, anime, and overall dubbing of shows and movies and this is not it. It's not great mind you, it's not wining any awards but I would not classify what I'm hearing as bad or horrible. Gaf has a problem with hyperbole in both directions and I think this is a case of it. I don't think the voices are the issue.

I think they're putting out bad trailers in terms of what they're showing and how they're cutting the dialogue. We've yet to see any full conversations. That I think is the big issue here and giving the negative impressions on the voice acting front. I wish they would stop doing that and if the game doesn't do well I think it's largely going to be how they promoted it and not because of it's quality as a game. If Nintendo is going to keep doing these partnerships they need to be make it clear how presentation needs to be handled. None of the past Fire Emblems were handled like this. Hyrule Warriors wasn't handled like this.

Gonna be honest, you sound so unnecessarily salty. There are plenty of legitimate grievances to have of the newer games (like the god-awful story of Fates) but seriously, the character designs? Their fucking hair? Yes, some of the armor designs are ridiculous, and you won't see me defending excessively pandering shit like Camilla, but the majority of what you are complaining about has been a part of FE forever.

kewlmyc

I really don't understand some people's issues with this game. It looks better then Hyrule Warriors. It's styled after Fire Emblem. Do people not pay attention to the art style in the Fire Emblem games? Is the game suppose to not look like the series it's suppose to be apart of? I don't get the knock on the game on this front at all. I really don't.

Voice acting. I think people need to expand what they listen to. I've heard horrible voice acting in games, anime, and overall dubbing of shows and movies and this is not it. It's not great mind you, it's not wining any awards but I would not classify what I'm hearing as bad or horrible. Gaf has a problem with hyperbole in both directions and I think this is a case of it. I don't think the voices are the issue.

I think they're putting out bad trailers in terms of what they're showing and how they're cutting the dialogue. That I think is the big issue here and giving the negative impressions on the voice acting front. I wish they would stop doing that and if they game doesn't do well I think it's largely going to be how they promoted it and not because of it's quality as a game. If Nintendo is going to keep doing these partnerships they need to be make it clear how presentation needs to be handled. None of the past Fire Emblems were handled like this. Hyrule Warriors wasn't handled like this.

I also think that with Hyrule Warriors, the hype was also fueled by being able to see these classic characters in new designs and some of them being playable for the first time in the series. Same can't be said for any of the characters so far in FEW.

Top Bottom