• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

Probably because it's not really a mech show! .

I get your point, but the other two being mech shows doesn't excuse their mediocre character designs! (especially for MJP, Valvrave is not really bad but not remarkable either).

I'm not that much of a mecha fan, so Gargantia being character based with a focus on adventure is good news to me. Can't wait to watch it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I get your point, but the other two being mech shows doesn't excuse their mediocre character designs! (especially for MJP, Valvrave is not really bad but not remarkable either).

I'm not that much of a mecha fan, so Gargantia being character based with a focus on adventure is good news to me. Can't wait to watch it.

Well MP isn't Hirai's best looking designs, that's for sure, lol.

cajunator

Banned
Looks like we finally have the first look at villains in Gargantia. Probably the early villains in the first few episodes of the show. The Lobster pirates led by the female leader Rakeeji (Wreckage?):

--

Her female slaves:

--

Their ships:

--

Their mechs:

sweeeeeet.
this show is shaping up to be really fun!
pleeeeeeease dont let us down!

DiGiKerot

Sorry to keep bothering but you wouldn't happen to have reviews or what others thought of the movie do you? Jw.

None which are particularly positive. I mean, I know maybe three people who didn't hate the movie (that's including myself, also BluWacky), but almost everyone else I've talked to about it absolutely loathed it.

It's a really weird movie, though. It's a pretty decent romantic comedy - it's genuinely pretty funny, with good comic timing and a decent sense of incremental absurdity, but manages it whilst having pretty well-drawn characters - but it's core sci-fi plot is incredibly muddled, and it's ultimate conclusion was near-incomprehensible in parts, and utterly bizarre in others. Which is a bit of a shame, because it doesn't really hit that point until it's last third, and everything up to that point is so good that, as a result, it was more deflating than it probably should have been. The result likely coloured a lot of other peoples opinions of the movie more than it probably should have.

Saying that, the movie is a little too preoccupied with being subversive at times - it's a very Sunrise 8 thing to be doing in a sense, but given that they're basing the movie on a what is, at this point, a very well-trodden, frequently adapted Japanese book, it was probably necessary to some degree. It is a bit overdone, though, and it does mean that they take some incredibly strange, left-field plot developments on occasion, as they deliberate strive to differentiate themselves, and it's a little jarring in the fashion that they choose to resolve certain things. It also means a fairly interesting, if rote, plotline to the movie is more-or-less completely ignored past a point.

At the same time, they set themselves up as being a psuedo-sequel to the original story, and whilst in hindsight I don't think it's as bad as I thought at the time, there's some things in there which are going to make absolutely no sense without a grounding in the original work, and unfortunately mostly just serve to make the climax even more befuddling - it's a little tricky to differentiate what the movie was expecting you to know about characters and settings already, and what is in there as foreshadowing. There's a couple of things I sat through most of the movie waiting for the shoe to drop on, only for them to turn out to be subtle references to the original work (which, I'd imagine, they'd assumed that everyone in Japan was familiar with).

It is absolutely beautiful to look at, though!

Metrotab

Banned
I turned 21 today. I still feel more like a 16-year old pretending to be older. Having my birthday on Easter Monday sucks since almost everything was closed.

Enough /blogging and time for anime!

BluWacky

On an unrelated note, I just saw the BD/DVD cover-art they're using for NeraGaku in Japan...

That's the key visual they used for the film's posters on release.

I am so tempted by the Bluray. It comes with reams of production notes that I won't be able to read!!!!!! I HAVE TO KNOW IF WHAT I THINK HAPPENED IS RIGHT!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!

Quasar

But is date a live smut?

Are there light beams?

Not in episode 1. I did wonder why they went to all that elaborate background stuff for what just makes me think of Love-Ru season one. Not in terms of nudity, but it seems like all setup for a school comedy where the protagonist dates an alien and hijinx ensue.

kayos90

None which are particularly positive. I mean, I know maybe three people who didn't hate the movie (that's including myself, also BluWacky), but almost everyone else I've talked to about it absolutely loathed it.

It's a really weird movie, though. It's a pretty decent romantic comedy - it's genuinely pretty funny, with good comic timing and a decent sense of incremental absurdity, but manages it whilst having pretty well-drawn characters - but it's core sci-fi plot is incredibly muddled, and it's ultimate conclusion was near-incomprehensible in parts, and utterly bizarre in others. Which is a bit of a shame, because it doesn't really hit that point until it's last third, and everything up to that point is so good that, as a result, it was more deflating than it probably should have been. The result likely coloured a lot of other peoples opinions of the movie more than it probably should have.

Saying that, the movie is a little too preoccupied with being subversive at times - it's a very Sunrise 8 thing to be doing in a sense, but given that they're basing the movie on a what is, at this point, a very well-trodden, frequently adapted Japanese book, it was probably necessary to some degree. It is a bit overdone, though, and it does mean that they take some incredibly strange, left-field plot developments on occasion, as they deliberate strive to differentiate themselves, and it's a little jarring in the fashion that they choose to resolve certain things. It also means a fairly interesting, if rote, plotline to the movie is more-or-less completely ignored past a point.

At the same time, they set themselves up as being a psuedo-sequel to the original story, and whilst in hindsight I don't think it's as bad as I thought at the time, there's some things in there which are going to make absolutely no sense without a grounding in the original work, and unfortunately mostly just serve to make the climax even more befuddling - it's a little tricky to differentiate what the movie was expecting you to know about characters and settings already, and what is in there as foreshadowing. There's a couple of things I sat through most of the movie waiting for the shoe to drop on, only for them to turn out to be subtle references to the original work (which, I'd imagine, they'd assumed that everyone in Japan was familiar with).

It is absolutely beautiful to look at, though!

Thanks. I think I have a general idea of what you and others think.

duckroll

It's a really weird movie, though. It's a pretty decent romantic comedy - it's genuinely pretty funny, with good comic timing and a decent sense of incremental absurdity, but manages it whilst having pretty well-drawn characters - but it's core sci-fi plot is incredibly muddled, and it's ultimate conclusion was near-incomprehensible in parts, and utterly bizarre in others.

You know, that sounds like a lot of Hong Kong and South Korean movies honestly! Probably a bunch of Japanese movies too, but I try not to watch too many because I can't stand Japanese live action overacting.

kayos90

You know, that sounds like a lot of Hong Kong and South Korean movies honestly! Probably a bunch of Japanese movies too, but I try not to watch too many because I can't stand Japanese live action overacting.

It can't be worse than D-Wars

CorvoSol

GTO 41

So, in true high school romantic comedy fashion, Onizuka has orchestrated a haunted house and corn maze. Where he found time to do this, nobody knows. In any case, posing as some ruffians, Onizuka and his foremost protege, Murai, manage to get Anko to admit her feelings for Yoshikawa. Also, Kanzaki continues to suffer with the Gundam boys, who've taken to calling her Sayla Mass. Onizuka is an evil genius.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Little Witch Academia

Stuff like this is why I watch anime. Simple storytelling, but oh such great execution, the animation was so fucking awesome as well. It pretty much packed "style" in every single frame, some of those character expressions were like HNGGGGGGGH, and the setting despite being rather cliche and by-the-books in terms of premise, managed to present it in a interesting way, that made me eager to see more of it which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I don't think this needs a TV series though, I feel only a film would do justice to the material, especially due to the standards set by this to begin with.

DiGiKerot

I am so tempted by the Bluray. It comes with reams of production notes that I won't be able to read!!!!!! I HAVE TO KNOW IF WHAT I THINK HAPPENED IS RIGHT!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!

Oh, god, I'd have to imagine that stuff is absolutely fascinating - whilst the movies a mess, I'd love to have absolutely any additional insight into what they were trying to achieve with it. I can't say I ever expect even the movies audio commentary to be translated, though, let alone those production notes.

Mr.Jeff

There's almost as much lens-flare on there as in the average shot in the actual movie!
You know, despite how much you should really hate stuff like that, I ended up really liking the excessive lens-flare. At least when it was done in that film anyway.

Hey, I also liked it! Or at least liked enough of it to compensate for the ending. I'd definitely watch it again though, just to try and get some better sense of what the hell is going on.

I'm intrigued to see what kayos thinks of it though.

Branduil

Little Witch Academia

Stuff like this is why I watch anime. Simple storytelling, but oh such great execution, the animation was so fucking awesome as well. It pretty much packed "style" in every single frame, some of those character expressions were like HNGGGGGGGH, and the setting despite being rather cliche and by-the-books in terms of premise, managed to present it in a interesting way, that made me eager to see more of it which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I don't think this needs a TV series though, I feel only a film would do justice to the material, especially due to the standards set by this to begin with.

A movie or a short OVA series.

cajunator

Banned
Little Witch Academia

you are all turning into Cajuns.
best not to fight it.

kayos90

Hey, I also liked it! Or at least liked enough of it to compensate for the ending. I'd definitely watch it again though, just to try and get some better sense of what the hell is going on.

I'm intrigued to see what kayos thinks of it though.

Why me? I don't post good impressions! lol. Only when I feel like it.

kayos90

It could be. Too much lol world building to tell where it's going.

Not in this episode, panty shots for everyone. Even if there were lightbeams the ass shots to be had with the "armour" would make up for it.

D:

There's censoring in Date-A-Live? LOL. I guess I won't like this show.

jgminto

I turned 21 today. I still feel more like a 16-year old pretending to be older. Having my birthday on Easter Monday sucks since almost everything was closed.

Enough /blogging and time for anime!

q9VNgKb.jpg

Mr.Jeff

Why me? I don't post good impressions! lol. Only when I feel like it.
Well from what I can glean from this thread (and without sounding too mean!), the impression is that you miss out on some obvious stuff in various series leading you to ask questions in this thread other people might think of as self-explanatory.

With the utter explosion of nonsense and imagery of the last 20 minutes of Nerawareta Gakuen, I can only imagine this producing something humourous. Perhaps.

kayos90

Well from what I can glean from this thread (and without sounding too mean!), the impression is that you miss out on some obvious stuff in various series leading you to ask questions in this thread other people might think of as self-explanatory.

With the utter explosion of nonsense and imagery of the last 20 minutes of Nerawareta Gakuen, I can only imagine this producing something humourous. Perhaps.

Oh. LOL. I'm not that stupid. I do miss some stuff but it's mostly because I don't get jokes and I'm worldly naive.

BluWacky

Oh, god, I'd have to imagine that stuff is absolutely fascinating - whilst the movies a mess, I'd love to have absolutely any additional insight into what they were trying to achieve with it. I can't say I ever expect even the movies audio commentary to be translated, though, let alone those production notes.

This may be a stupid question, but given that the production notes are only activated when you put the disc in a PS3, is it likely that they'll be region-free and thus playable on any PS3? I could buy the film to watch on my PC, but if I can't at least see the production notes that would make me sad...

wonzo

Banned
Ixion Saga was an advertisement for an online game, but the story itself didn't use an online game as a plot point. Now, it was much more enjoyable than SAO, but I don't think they're really comparable in that sense.
goonthink.png

The entire thing's a pisstake on MMORPG & RPG tropes dude.

Women Wrestling Anime coming out in the Fall. I asked about a wrestling anime a while back so I'm hyped to see what this is about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=zbxOk2HibtM
day 0

CorvoSol

The ponypocalypse is now.

Oh, so that's what the Four Horsemen represent.

GaoGaiGar 41

AWWW YEAH ROCK N ROLL USED TO CREATE A MICRO GRAVITY LASER. That's so awesome I can't even explain it to you with words. But the Machine Primals have just been utterly TROUNCED by Gai and company. Freaking GaoGaiGar, man. YOU CAN'T TOUCH GAOGAIGAR.

DiGiKerot

This may be a stupid question, but given that the production notes are only activated when you put the disc in a PS3, is it likely that they'll be region-free and thus playable on any PS3? I could buy the film to watch on my PC, but if I can't at least see the production notes that would make me sad...

That's... a pretty good question. I don't think I can remember there being an anime BD with Playview content on it in the past, so I've never been in the situation where I've tried it.

I can't imagine it being region-locked - it's not like other anime disks which have had PS3 content on them (say, the Macross Frontier movies) wouldn't work on non-Japanese consoles or anything, and given the sheer volume of content, I'd have to imagine it's all on the disk, but *shrug* there's not really any way of telling for certain until it actually comes out.

Syrinx

If I get super burned out on homework and such later, and just want to indulge in some smut, would anybody recommend Love Live?

DiGiKerot

If I get super burned out on homework and such later, and just want to indulge in some smut, would anybody recommend Love Live?

It's not really very smutty - I don't think there's even any panty-shots - beyond that one girl who likes rubbing boobs maliciously on occasion.

It's a cute show, though. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom