• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turn 10 talk about why they didn`t go multi-disc with Forza 7.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Chris Bishop, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Turn 10 Studios, said a lot of thought was put into content delivery of the upcoming Forza Motorsport 7.

“You know, honestly it’s something that we thought about this year, was like do we want to go multi-disc or single? It’s something that I think we are always exploring and talking about what’s best for the customer and what’s the right delivery system,” Bishop said. “We want to provide options, and that’s why we do discs and digital and then code-to-content is another thing: where people want to buy at retail, but maybe they want the benefits of digital. But they have GameStop or EB Games membership.

“We even thought about USB drives and stuff like that. So, who knows what the future is? ‘Cause these files get bigger and bigger and data caps become a reality. Digital has so many benefits and most people would say that’s the future, but at the same time, especially as a Marketing Manager, I’m always out there being like, ‘All right, what’s best for the customer? What are the options out there? Pros and cons?’

“It’s definitely not a one-size-fits-all solution, or one answer.”

Because Forza 7 comes out more than a month before the Xbox One X is available to players, its 4K assets will not be bundled on the game’s single Blu-ray disc.

“It’s one disc that works for Xbox One S, or Xbox One X, or the original Xbox One,” Bishop confirmed. “It’s about 50GB. That’s about the most you can put on a Blu-ray these days, as far as I’m aware, and that has as much of the game content as we can stuff on the 50GB.

“The game itself will end up probably right around 60GB, “Bishop also confirmed. “So it’ll have day one update, patches, updates and some more content. But that’s all 1080p files — that is what people will play on October 3, or September 29 if you get the Ultimate Edition with early access.

“Then, if you put that disc in on Xbox One X on November 7, it’ll install those [on-disc] bits. It’ll install that 10GB of update [of day one patches, etc], and then it’ll download another 30GB or so of 4K files.

Source: http://stevivor.com/features/interv...released-on-disc-will-follow-in-later-update/

c0de

I guess that 4k updates will not be downloaded for the non-X versions and thus the size of the game is just like many other games. You "only" end up with more than 100gb if you go 4k.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I guess that 4k updates will not be downloaded for the non-X versions and thus the size of the game is just like many other games. You "only" end up with more than 100gb if you go 4k.

What I get from this interview is that the game will be around 60 GB if you ignore the 4K assets. I could be wrong.

When a game has needed download content then a second disc should be priority, saying what's best for the costumer and not including a second disc is wrong.

Problem with that is if they are still working in changes between going till and launch day, you can't slap an update on a disc if you're still working on it.

c0de

When a game has needed download content then a second disc should be priority, saying what's best for the costumer and not including a second disc is wrong.

Problem with that is if they are still working in changes between going till and launch day, you can't slap an update on a disc if you're still working on it.

Imagine FF15 not having content updates... I don't even know how many GB I had to download for this game in total and I didn't even buy it at launch.

Gamezone

Gold Member

I agree, but the 4K assets will be released in November along with Xbox One X, so it couldn`t be done for Forza 7 without delaying it. If they release a "GOTY" edition later, then maybe. Microsoft are working on a multi-disc system as we speak, but it`s probably not ready yet.

kadotsu

Banned
I would be totally fine with this if they allowed pre-loading for patches. It wouldn't change their production and there would be less frustration at launch if you happened to have a substandard internet connection.

flohen95

So 30GB of 4K files, that means that the game for XOne and XOne S will be around 60-70 GB?

90. The guy says that a maximum of 50GB fits on blurays (which isn't technically true, since tri- and quad-layer blurays are a thing, but I don't know if Xbox One and PS4 could read them), and that you'll need to download 10GB of data because the game is 60GB, to which 30GB of 4K assets is added when you're playing on an Xbox One X.

I would have like to have all the data locally. 4K assets I can give or take, but an incomplete game on the disc is a bummer, and from the text I don't really see where he explains why they didn't use 2 discs or and USB stick or whatever.

90. The guy says that a maximum of 50GB fits on blurays (which isn't technically true, since tri- and quad-layer blurays are a thing, but I don't know if Xbox One and PS4 could read them), and that you'll need to download 10GB of data because the game is 60GB, to which 30GB of 4K assets is added when you're playing on an Xbox One X.

I would have like to have all the data locally. 4K assets I can give or take, but an incomplete game on the disc is a bummer, and from the text I don't really see where he explains why they didn't use 2 discs or and USB stick or whatever.

Don't using more layers affect seek speeds? I guess with installs it's not as big a deal anymore though. And then there is the question of whether the drives in the PS4/XBO can read them

Doesn't it cost pennies to print a disc like a DVD or BD - surely that would have been best for everyone involved rather than a 50gb download?!

Gamezone

Gold Member

Can`t it be 50 GB compressed on the disc, and 60 GB when after it`s installed? The launch Xbox One can`t read these discs. The Slim and Xbox One X can.

Aroll

Blu rays can hold more than 50... A lot more. Wouldn't be surprised if thr drives can t handle it. Read speeds don't matter since you have to install it.

d9b

Banned
Isn't there a 50GB day one patch? how does that translate to 60GB full size?

3285861-33690008.jpg

Gamezone

Gold Member
Isn't there a 50GB day one patch? how does that translate to 60GB full size?

The game is 60 GB. Add another 30 GB in 4K assets on Xbox One X. Then there's a smaller day one update.

But yeah, it's weird. This isn't what they said in their first press release regarding the size.

So, 60GB, not 90 if you have a One or One S which is the question that you are answering.
The extra 30 is only if you have a One X.

Rains

I don't get it. Why do they lose money if the ship the game with 2 discs?
Becuase 2 disks cost more then 1 and when your talking about Millions of copy's it all adds up i feel sorry for peeps with slow internet or caps

Gamezone

Gold Member
Becuase 2 disks cost more then 1 and when your talking about Millions of copy's it all adds up i feel sorry for peeps with slow internet or caps

They lose one penny by adding another disc, but loses 60 dollars if someone skip the game because of the download size.

c0de

They lose one penny by adding another disc, but loses 60 dollars if someone skip the game because of the download size.

Matt told us that this is done by the pubs - actually no one does it currently. And yes, they lose the game to you but that was clear from the other 5 or so threads.

“We lose money if we’re multi disc”

I don't think that's solely the issue as of now Xbone doesn't accept multi discs properly.

Ms is working into a new installation system that will allow multi discs and even installing only the features you want (like a certain language or mode), but it'ss not ready yet.

But since the game launches before xbonex, and they are also adding an option to download the 4k assets in advance even on xbone and s at least the blow is softened quite a bit, by the time your xbonex arrives there will be plenty of time to have the 4k assets installed.

Gestault

I'm glad to hear them try to address this. People with trash ISPs have it rough this generation. That said, I feel like someone could have saved them the trouble and just said straight-up:

"It costs money on all sides, doesn't work alongside the production calendar between going gold and physical manufacturing, and doesn't actually solve the challenges that the industry relies on online updates for."

Madness

Doesn't it cost pennies to print a disc like a DVD or BD - surely that would have been best for everyone involved rather than a 50gb download?!

Yep. It is the pursuit of profit above all else. Why give the non-4K owner a free disc he doesn't need but might need or could sell to someone later. Let's keep offloading data to users in the era of 500gb to 1tb hard drives amd 100gb games and internet data caps. When I bought my Xbox One S 1TB and redownloaded all these games I had to delete off my Xbox One OG Sunset white,I got a $30 overage bill from my internet provider because of all those games,my netflix ans youtube 4k watching. Had to switch to a damn expenaive unlimited plan.

An extra disc would be no different than how it worked for Xbox 360 last gen. One disc would add like 10gb worth of assets and you played with the second. Here, one disc could add the 4K assets and you play with the other one.

Trup1aya

Xbox won't even have multi-disc support until the next OS revision iirc. Perhaps not going this route came down to uncertain timeframes and launch date considerations.

Perhaps the OS wasn't finalized in time for them to pull the trigger on their distribution method.

Edit:
I love how this thread already settled into nefarious motives.

Top Bottom