• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Princess Skittles said:
C-Tier? That seems to sound negative, but I'm not sure that was your intent. Both look pretty good for indie games.

eznark said:
What a terrible definition for an amazing game.

Agreed on both parts. I was overly harsh towards all three games. They are fun, but not something I'd drop $10 each on. The pack is still a great value.

Princess Skittles said:
Aquaria.

I think A.R.E.S. and Capsized (both in the weekend deal) might be as well.

Aquaria is one of the top games on my list of "I should have loved this, but I just couldn't get into it." games. Beautiful sound and graphics as well as a pretty original setting and gameplay. I just felt like I ran out of steam about 8 hours in and stopped playing as nothing was hooking me to keep playing. I should go back and give it another try sometime soon.

Relax.MX

TheFightingFish said:
Aquaria is one of the top games on my list of "I should have loved this, but I just couldn't get into it." games. Beautiful sound and graphics as well as a pretty original setting and gameplay. I just felt like I ran out of Steam about 8 hours in and stopped playing as nothing was hooking me to keep playing. I should go back and give it another try sometime soon.

Same thing happened to me

eznark

Banned
Archie said:
Agreed on both parts. I was overly harsh towards all three games. They are fun, but not something I'd drop $10 each on. The pack is still a great value.

I bought S&S on both Wii and PC and bought it for a bunch of friends when it was on sale for like $2 this xmas. Totally under-appreciated gem!

Palette Swap said:
When I asked the same question a few pages back, someone kindly pointed me to Dark Void Zero, I haven't bought it yet but it seems to definitely fit the bill.
I had no idea it existed before it was pointed out to me.

Dark Void Zero comes with Securom and limited activations, which is just absurd for such a low budget titles, which was developed to promote Dark Void. I would stay away from that.

Relax.MX

eznark said:
I bought S&S on both Wii and PC and bought it for a bunch of friends when it was on sale for like $2 this xmas. Totally under-appreciated gem!

I disagree with that, has a terrible online gaming, removes many points to the final experience, I would not recommend(alone) because the single is nothing special

filipe

I think I'm going to get Machinarium. I've never been a huge point and click gamer, but it's gotten too much praise to ignore.

eznark

Banned
Relax.MX said:
I disagree with that, has a terrible online gaming, removes many points to the final experience, I would not recommend(alone) because the single is nothing special

Fair enough, I never touched the online portion...didn't even know it existed! I loved the single player campaigns.

Is it possible that the Valve complete pack will go on sale during the summer sale? I only own Portal out of all those games (I know, I know) and it seems like a great package that every PC gamer needs to own.

Nabs

DarkChronic said:
Is it possible that the Valve complete pack will go on sale during the summer sale? I only own Portal out of all those games (I know, I know) and it seems like a great package that every PC gamer needs to own.

It goes on sale during every sale. It'll probably be 50% off.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Red Blaster said:
You don't think releasing a sequel that makes the previous game effectively obsolete so soon is kind of lame?
Of course not. They are just video games.

The first game was not made obsolete, either. Just like Super Mario Bros. 3 doesn't make Super Mario Bros. 1 not worth playing.

I mean, there may be some worry about splitting a community on such a multi-player focused title, but to my knowledge, that didn't happen either, both are still rather robust.

Leatherface

So I'm thinking about buying the Indie Pack from the weekend deal, but I already have two of the games (Machinarium and Swords and Soldiers HD). Are the other three games worth $9.99? I've never played any of them. Also is there a way I can gift the games I already own? Thanks GAF!

:)

hiryu

You have to be fucking kidding me. I've repeatedly told my friends I was going to buy a L4D 2 four pack the next time it was on sale for them and it finally goes on sale and I'm completely fucking broke. FFFFUUUUUUU

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Leatherface said:
So I'm thinking about buying the Indie Pack from the weekend deal, but I already have two of the games (Machinarium and Swords and Soldiers HD). Are the other three games worth $9.99. Also is there a way I can gift the games I already own? Thanks GAF!

:)
Probably (I would say yes based on A.R.E.S. and Capsized alone) and no.

Red Blaster said:
Is L4D2 much better than the first game? I was bitter that Valve released a sequel only a year later.

Technically yes but for some reason I'm still more of a fan of L4D. I love almost everything about it, I just would rather play the first one which doesn't even make sense to me. I'd still pick it L4D2 at such a cheap price though. I have no regrets getting it at launch.

Leatherface said:
So left4Dead 2 is a map pack and extra characters for the price of a full retail game then?

Come on. This argument has been hit at from all sides by now. Valve isn't the only company to do this and this was their first (and only so far) time doing it. Plus, for new players it is just $6 currently.

Stitch

Gold Member
I think Valve is porting the Campains from 1 to 2 so Left 4 Dead 2 is clearly the superior game :p

No Mercy is already available.

Princess Skittles said:
Of course not. They are just video games.

The first game was not made obsolete, either. Just like Super Mario Bros. 3 doesn't make Super Mario Bros. 1 not worth playing.

I mean, there may be some worry about splitting a community on such a multi-player focused title, but to my knowledge, that didn't happen either, both are still rather robust.

Dont' get me wrong, it's not like I lost sleep over it. Just felt a little miffed that I threw down $50 for L4D1 at launch only to see a sequel announced 6 months later. Also, I thought Valve was porting the entirety of L4D1's campaign over?

Red Blaster said:
Is L4D2 much better than the first game? I was bitter that Valve released a sequel only a year later.

I'm probably in the minority, but I felt like the first played much better. I probably put in at least 100 hours with friends, finished all campaigns on expert and had a blast the entire time.

For me, the sequel came a little too early and I just managed to maybe put in 20 hours before I had enough. My friends and myself just didn't get as into it, even though we were hyped as hell for it.

Anyway, for Metroidvania games, I think Bionic Commando:Rearmed kinda fits the bill, maybe and it's pure awesome.

I also like to hype Aztaka every chance I get, it's more of a action/puzzle platformer, but parts of it remind me of a metroidvania (you unlock skill and abilities) and again, it's awesome and pretty to look at as well.

ShaneB

Stitch said:
I think Valve is porting the Campains from 1 to 2 so Left 4 Dead 2 is clearly the superior game :p

No Mercy is already available.

This is what I'm waiting for. I keep forgetting I actually own LFD2 and never play it. Maybe I'll fire it up this weekend.

If you buy Left 4 Dead 2, you can play the Helms Deep scene from Two Towers. But with zombies!

Leatherface said:
So left4Dead 2 is a map pack and extra characters for the price of a full retail game then?

It's a proper sequel. Same base mechanics, but improved plus new content.

Leatherface

VGChampion said:
Technically yes but for some reason I'm still more of a fan of L4D. I love almost everything about it, I just would rather play the first one which doesn't even make sense to me. I'd still pick it L4D2 at such a cheap price though. I have no regrets getting it at launch.

Come on. This argument has been hit at from all sides by now. Valve isn't the only company to do this and this was their first (and only so far) time doing it. Plus, for new players it is just $6 currently.

I know it's been played, that's why I said it. I was just being sarcastic (which is usually lost on in translation but oh well).

I love L4D2 and own it. :p

stuminus3

Banned
Alice? Who the fuck is Alice?

The "complete collection" promo with the original game literally just ended on Origin... I guess EA are just keeping things from Steam until their little order bonuses expire? I wonder if the first game will be available on its own.

leadbelly

Banned
DOBERMAN INC said:
Don't care for L4D2 but Alice: Madness Returns for £30, is it worth it? Looks very unique.

I don't know. The main reason for me mentioning it is because it was removed from Steam at one point. I'm not sure if it was even there to begin with in the UK though. It might still be missing in the US, I don't know.

leadbelly said:
I don't know. The main reason for me mentioning it is because it was removed from Steam at one point. I'm not sure if it was even there to begin with in the UK though. It might still be missing in the US, I don't know.

It was never on Steam in any region till today.

KrayzeeGloo

Neo Member
VGChampion said:

I'm with you 100% on this. I absolutely adore the first game and hold it to some of the most fun and intense gaming experiences I've had, and was EXTREMELY pumped for the second one to come out. Added much, much more than I was expecting and fine-tuned just about everything, even down to how many different routes you could take through a map (the first game was sadly pretty linear, regardless of the whole AI Director concept). For some reason, though, I just couldn't play that much of it and still haven't finished it... I'm on the last campaign that I need to run through with a friend, and we're planning on giving it another shot in the next few weeks, though, so hopefully I can finish that and give this game's versus another shot. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom