• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2013

Roto13

I'll probably wait until Super Metroid, although I'm really interested in seeing the emulator.

If I could by Dragon Crystal to check out the Game Gear emulator, you can spend 30 cents on Balloon Fight. :p

Is Balloon Fight going to be 30 cents for 30 days or just until the end of January? I don't have a Wii U yet.

javac

Probably the most idiotic question in all of mankind, but just to clarify, the games being released in conjunction to the 30th anniversary of the family computer are available to purchase for 30cents/pence for 30 days, and once bought they are available on your Wii U forever right? :S

also

Banned
Probably the most idiotic question in all of mankind, but just to clarify, the games being released in conjunction to the 30th anniversary of the family computer are available to purchase for 30cents/pence for 30 days, and once bought they are available on your Wii U forever right? :S

Yes, you keep the games.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Good times.

7f5TM.png

Wii U | Virtual Console

vYU92.png

Wii U | Virtual Console

• Balloon Fight (Nintendo | €0.30 | £0.30) (Until 02/??) Latest release!

uxwGK.png

Wii U | Virtual Console

Baconbitz

Banned
I think what Itoi was hinting out on twitter was that he is releasing Mother 2 on the Japan VC. So, don't get your hopes up.

zroid

Banned
I'll probably wait until Super Metroid, although I'm really interested in seeing the emulator.

The emulator is pretty good. Certainly the best thing Nintendo's done. It has restore points and fully customizable button mapping.

Also supports Miiverse screenshots

serplux

The emulator is pretty good. Certainly the best thing Nintendo's done. It has restore points and fully customizable button mapping.

Also supports Miiverse screenshots

Aww, so no multiple save states (which is entirely cheating the game, btw, but still options are nice) or ability to change aspect ratios? Nintendo really oughta get whoever did the Game Gear emulator on the 3DS to do everything.

So are these "beta" releases until Virtual Console is officially launched?

Because I don't like the forced bilinear filtering and I hope that there's an option to turn it off on the official release.

Drago

So I'm thinking of transferring over my Wii data to WiiU after the VC announcements today. I'm SO HAPPY Nintendo allows the transfer of more than one Wii... just learned that today :D

I'm not too pissed about the upgrade fee, especially because I don't have too many S/NES games to upgrade anyways. But if they ever make me pay for these games again (and if they don't make them sharable between WiiU and 3DS... looking at you GBA VC) then you can bet I'll be pissed off.

And GBA VC for WiiU before 3DS is baffling, but I'm happy all the same. I just hope that NA and EU can keep up with what will likely be a killer lineup in JP if 3DS VC is anything to go by.

hongcha

So are these "beta" releases until Virtual Console is officially launched?

Because I don't like the forced bilinear filtering and I hope that there's an option to turn it off on the official release.

You can't turn it off on the Game boy games on the 3DS (unless you play with the GB border on, which makes the screen the size of a postage stamp), so I'm guessing no.

zroid

Banned
So I'm thinking of transferring over my Wii data to WiiU after the VC announcements today. I'm SO HAPPY Nintendo allows the transfer of more than one Wii... just learned that today :D

I'm going to hold off until a bunch of my VC games are available to upgrade, but yeah this made my decision for me. It'll give me a good excuse to start Brawl over from scratch anyway. :p

You can't turn it off on the Game boy games on the 3DS (unless you play with the GB border on, which makes the screen the size of a postage stamp), so I'm guessing no.
But that's the only way you could display Game Boy games on the 3DS screen without filtering; the screen isn't big enough to do pixel doubling. But there is plenty of room on a 1920x1080 display to achieve a crisp image.

hongcha

But that's the only way you could display Game Boy games on the 3DS screen without filtering; the screen isn't big enough to do pixel doubling. But there is plenty of room on a 1920x1080 display to achieve a crisp image.

You can play Game Gear games full screen on the 3DS without any blur filter added. Game Gear has the same native resolution as the Gameboy (160x144). Basically, M2 can do it, but Nintendo won't.

Somnid

It's really interesting to revisit this thread when a couple of days ago we were talking about online leaderboards in VC games. At the time I wanted to suggest Miiverse as a possible substitute but never got around to it. I have to say after going into Balloon Fight for Wii U VC it absolutely just destroyed the idea of leaderboards for me.

If you check it now it's roughly 7000 posts so far of people trading tips and posting screenshots of their personal best. It makes leaderboards look positively archaic. There's actually interesting discussion and interaction around the high scores, not just a static list of people who are way too damn good. Some guys gets 100,000 pts and people's eye bulge but even some 10,000 pt personal bests get people to cheer each other on. It's actually a lot more interesting than I would have thought. I don't know how long it'll last but right now it's really cool.

I always knew in the back of my head public leaderboards were dumb but I couldn't quite place it. You never see yourself and some random guy's high score never meant anything. But having a socialization aspect is just a brilliant addition. Seeing the result of an all time best is far less interesting than seeing attempts happen in real time. This empathy network idea certainly has merit.

RaidenZR

It's really interesting to revisit this thread when a couple of days ago we were talking about online leaderboards in VC games. At the time I wanted to suggest Miiverse as a possible substitute but never got around to it. I have to say after going into Balloon Fight for Wii U VC it absolutely just destroyed the idea of leaderboards for me.

If you check it now it's roughly 7000 posts so far of people trading tips and posting screenshots of their personal best. It makes leaderboards look positively archaic. There's actually interesting discussion and interaction around the high scores, not just a static list of people who are way too damn good. Some guys gets 100,000 pts and people's eye bulge but even some 10,000 pt personal bests get people to cheer each other on. It's actually a lot more interesting than I would have thought. I don't know how long it'll last but right now it's really cool.

I always knew in the back of my head public leaderboards were dumb but I couldn't quite place it. You never see yourself and some random guy's high score never meant anything. But having a socialization aspect is just a brilliant addition. Seeing the result of an all time best is far less interesting than seeing attempts happen in real time. This empathy network idea certainly has merit.

Yeah but those posts won't be persistent and relevant in a few days, nevermind years. Try finding these same posts you speak of in 2016. If there were true leaderboards that retained scores until they were beaten, then they are stuck and would remain high for all to cower beneath.

Plus, not to mention the fact that some people like to filter score into simpler-to-digest lists. Especially between groups of friends.

I don't think there's any terrible reason why we can't clamor for a world with Miiverse AND leaderboards.

Yeah but those posts won't be persistent and relevant in a few days, nevermind years. Try finding these same posts you speak of in 2016. If there were true leaderboards that retained scores until they were beaten, then they are stuck and would remain high for all to cower beneath.

Plus, not to mention the fact that some people like to filter score into simpler-to-digest lists. Especially between groups of friends.

I don't think there's any terrible reason why we can't clamor for a world with Miiverse AND leaderboards.
Yep, that's the thing - best of both worlds.

Neff

I got the PAL cartridge and the Wii U VC version runs faster and fullscreen.

It's optimised.

It's still not as fast as the NTSC game, and screens from Miiverse posters confirm the PAL version has small borders compared to the NTSC version. The aspect ratio is still wonky as a result.

So I'm going to wake up tomorrow, get on my 3ds, and find that there will be some new Picross waiting for me, right? NOA wouldn't let me down again, RIGHT?!

BooJoh

So I'm going to wake up tomorrow, get on my 3ds, and find that there will be some new Picross waiting for me, right? NOA wouldn't let me down again, RIGHT?!

Now you've gone and jinxed it. Their press release is more likely to specifically state that Picross-e is NOT coming out tomorrow.

Not going to get F-Zero, Mario and Yoshi or Donkey Kong (though I'd be all up on DK if it was the arcade version) but I'll probably grab rest. Off-TV play for Super Metroid will be great and you can never have too many versions of Kirby's Adventure.

Somnid

See but that's what I'm arguing against. The exact thing you pose as being worthwhile in reality isn't. Nobody cares if a score stands the test of time especially when the top 50 is just a bunch of attempts by the same 3 people who are far better than anyone else or have more interest. You completely underserve the community by doing that and narrow the range of people who can participate or at the very least suck the will out of potentials. The score is just a conversation piece not the end goal. It works so much better to play it down like that. And they will eventually add private communities so you can swap with NeoGaf or your friends in a controlled zone.

DenisQc

just the headlines on my RSS reader, the link is not good yet :

Jan. 24, 2013 - This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content: "30 Year Anniversary. 30 Days Limited Discount. 30 Cents." Wii U Promotion, The Cave, Funky Barn, and Brain Age: Concentration Training Demo Version.

http://press.nintendo.com/redirect.jsp?id=37338

waiting for the details, but seems rad this week

joedick

just the headlines on my RSS reader, the link is not good yet :

Jan. 24, 2013 - This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content: "30 Year Anniversary. 30 Days Limited Discount. 30 Cents." Wii U Promotion, The Cave, Funky Barn, and Brain Age: Concentration Training Demo Version.

http://press.nintendo.com/redirect.jsp?id=37338

waiting for the details, but seems rad this week

And Super C!

NINTENDO DOWNLOAD HIGHLIGHTS NEW DIGITAL CONTENT FOR NINTENDO SYSTEMS - JAN. 24, 2013

Jan. 24, 2013

This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

30 Year Anniversary. 30 Days Limited Discount. 30 Cents.
To help celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Famicom (which was known as the NES™ in the United States), Wii U™ owners can purchase one select Virtual Console title each month during the promotion at a 30-day special price of 30 cents. To kick off this celebration, Balloon Fight™ is now available for purchase in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

Nintendo eShop on Wii U
The Cave – The Cave is a new adventure game from Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion creator Ron Gilbert and Double Fine Productions, the award-winning studio behind Psychonauts and Brütal Legend. Assemble your team of three from seven unlikely adventurers, each with his or her own unique personality and story. Descend into mysterious depths to explore many different locations, including a subterranean amusement park and a medieval castle, not to mention a fully armed and ready-to-launch nuclear-tipped ICBM.

Funky Barn – It's farming, but not as you know it. Grab your Wii U GamePad controller and create a beautiful farmland full of animals, crops and trees. After you create your land, develop it into the craziest, most offbeat farm imaginable, overflowing with the wackiest contraptions and goofiest gizmos you and your animals have ever seen. Funky Barn is available in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U and at retail stores.

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS™
Brain Age™: Concentration Training Demo Version – Brain Age is back with new devilishly difficult brain-training exercises designed by world-famous brain researcher Dr. Ryuta Kawashima. Brain Age: Concentration Training introduces newly designed training exercises that challenge players with activities to help improve their concentration skills and the ability to access their short-term memory. Players only need to spend five minutes a day with the game to try and better their focus and attention skills. The full version of Brain Age: Concentration Training will be available in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS and at retail stores on Feb. 10.

Also new this week:
• Super C™ (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
• Cocoto Alien Brick Breaker (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
• Tom Clancy™'s Ghost Recon® Shadow Wars (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)

DenisQc

up :

NINTENDO DOWNLOAD HIGHLIGHTS NEW DIGITAL CONTENT FOR NINTENDO SYSTEMS - JAN. 24, 2013

Jan. 24, 2013

This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

30 Year Anniversary. 30 Days Limited Discount. 30 Cents.
To help celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Famicom (which was known as the NES™ in the United States), Wii U™ owners can purchase one select Virtual Console title each month during the promotion at a 30-day special price of 30 cents. To kick off this celebration, Balloon Fight™ is now available for purchase in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

Nintendo eShop on Wii U
The Cave – The Cave is a new adventure game from Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion creator Ron Gilbert and Double Fine Productions, the award-winning studio behind Psychonauts and Brütal Legend. Assemble your team of three from seven unlikely adventurers, each with his or her own unique personality and story. Descend into mysterious depths to explore many different locations, including a subterranean amusement park and a medieval castle, not to mention a fully armed and ready-to-launch nuclear-tipped ICBM.

Funky Barn – It's farming, but not as you know it. Grab your Wii U GamePad controller and create a beautiful farmland full of animals, crops and trees. After you create your land, develop it into the craziest, most offbeat farm imaginable, overflowing with the wackiest contraptions and goofiest gizmos you and your animals have ever seen. Funky Barn is available in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U and at retail stores.

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS™
Brain Age™: Concentration Training Demo Version – Brain Age is back with new devilishly difficult brain-training exercises designed by world-famous brain researcher Dr. Ryuta Kawashima. Brain Age: Concentration Training introduces newly designed training exercises that challenge players with activities to help improve their concentration skills and the ability to access their short-term memory. Players only need to spend five minutes a day with the game to try and better their focus and attention skills. The full version of Brain Age: Concentration Training will be available in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS and at retail stores on Feb. 10.

Also new this week:
• Super C™ (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
• Cocoto Alien Brick Breaker (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
• Tom Clancy™'s Ghost Recon® Shadow Wars (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)

To view this week's Nintendo Download in its full graphical version, please visit: http://news2know.net/nintendo/downloadM4a11cGj.php.

Top Bottom