• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pointless accomplishments that you're proud of

In Infamous Second Son, after Delsin gets the Neon power he runs into Augustine. At this point of the game, Delsin doesn't want her to know that he has the Conduit ability to absorb other the power of others. But Augustine seemed to already know that he can and taunts him into using it. So now we get into a Boss fight with one of her grunts, with the only rechargeable ammo offered being the neon lights. Since the fight let me start off with Smoke, I used that until I was about empty trying to slowly get the boss' health down, after that I ran towards the neon lights.

But then I heard something:

Augustine: You know, no one would blame you if you go for the neon.

It was then something inside me snapped, I stopped, and I told myself "You know what? No." I had decided to only use Smoke and let myself get killed by the boss, which then set me back before the fight. I put ALL of my remaining points into rockets, from there it was a matter of making sure every single one hits as my ammo couldn't be recharged and one or two misses meant it was over. It took some time since the boss wouldn't stop moving and attacked whenever I got too close, forcing me to aim at a decent distance and I always jumped into the water for an instant lost whenever I ran out completely, all the while Augustine kept taunting me to use the neon. And then I finally did it, feeling so accomplished, but was then I was treated to a cutscene and immediately I hear:

Delsin: Okay, so maybe I can use Neon...

Look, I pretty much expected this, but it is no less a let down. I got absolutely nothing out of what I did, no achievements, no collectables, no points, no levels, no unique scenes, nothing. But I would never say I regret it, because I beat that boss my way. So, do any of you have such pointless things that you're proud you did?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Grinding to level 255, forging enough tri-Emblems, and spending 5 hours trekking through the SO4 bonus dungeon to beat the Ethereal Queen (after 2 hours in battle against her). Also beat Ethereal Queen in 5 as well.

Esiquio

Beating most of the chapters in F-Zero GX on Very Hard.

...but not all of them. Still, hot damn that was tough.

Eylos

Banned
Lvl 99 in FF VIII, in the Forest near balamb garden killing t-rex before going to the train mission.

Idk why

BouncyFrag

I once clutched round 10 of Mass Effect 3's multiplayer on platinum difficulty with my Volus engineer as the rest of the team had wiped ensuring we got the credits

Pollux17

Neo Member
Playing around 120 hours of BotW without fast travelling or catching/killing animals (although I stunned a lizard once when I still used to farm wood with bombs and I'm not sure the little fella made it)

Synth

After 200+ fights on DOA1 Ultimate, I had a 100% win record. Now with OG XBL offline, nobody can ever take that from me. :)

In GTA: Vice City I reloaded my save if I died, lost a mission, or got arrested. It was kind of amusing thinking about how I beat the game using the same weapons that I got very early on and all on "one" life.

It's the only GTA game I beat and I think I ruined the series as I have a tough time getting into any afterwards and the little I have played of San Andreas and GTA IV I always have an urge to reload my save when things go poorly.

It's a super tedious way to play.

cheez124

Making a level 99 Arsene in Persona 5. As your starting Persona, he’s meant to be thrown away early on, but that didn’t sit right with me, so I decided to boost him to 99 and give him some stronger moves with gallows and skill cards. He was basically an unstoppable killing machine in my NG+ playthrough, haha

Another one that comes to mind is beating Wesker and making him run away in the first battle with him in RE5. The following cutscene doesn’t change (infuriatingly) and all you get is a treasure for your efforts, but goddamn is it satisfying to repeatedly punch him out with Chris. I wish he was that competent in the cutscenes

daveo42

Banned
Any time I get a platinum trophy in a game.

Reaching level 75 in FFXI, even before CoP came out. This was back when you had to grind for months to reach cap with single job. I'd be prouder of this if I had done it with an actual hard job like Dragoon or Dark Knight. I never had issues getting a party as a White Mage.

Getting in the top 20 or 30 of all DOOM 2016 Arcade players.
Beating Evil Within on the hardest difficulty with no upgrades and under 50 deaths.

gblues

Banned
Beating Final Fantasy 1 with a 4-thief team.

I'm not sure it's possible on the NES version. I did it on the iOS version which I think has some extra drops.

To do it, you basically have to save-scrub every level up so that you always get an agility boost. You also have to farm the hell out of the monsters that drop hi-potions.

Piers

Finishing first place in the cross-country Triathlon in GTAV which can last close to half an hour.
TwjH7W7.png

It starts in the desert, swimming across the lake, cycling all the way to the city and then running around it.
Edit: Whoops, no, you run at the the checkpoint near the graveyard up to the big centre atop the coastal hill.

Noogy

Earlier this year I decided to finally wrap up my platinum for Demon's Souls. I then realized I needed to do another couple NG+ playthroughs to get back to pure white character tendency. All that time spent just to get that Northern Regalia back up to 540 for NG++++++++.

Very, very pointless.

1upsuper

Beating the arcade versions of Gradius II and III. I was credit feeding so it's not really impressive, though the checkpoint system made the last level in each very brutal.

I've also finished boss-only runs of the first three Mario & Luigi games, so I never fought any non-scripted fights. The final boss of Partners in Time took like 7 hours, which was half the length of the whole run itself.

I beat Final Fantasy V, and then I grinded and mastered all the jobs and I beat the game again. Having that game portable is such a boon.

Getting all boss medals in Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. You get them if you defeat the boss without getting hit once and they do nothing but sit in your inventory. I still try to get them on every playthrough.

This is also without using overpowered glyph unions, such as the Light + Dark union which is basically a screen-wide nuke. I do admit using the Death Ring (big stat increases all-around at the cost of instantly killing you whenever you take damage--which is rendered moot given the nature of the challenge), so I guess my next goal will be to try to beat them without it.

Oh and I completed James' pull-up challenge in Mass Effect 3: Citadel.

HylianTom

Banned
Beating most of the chapters in F-Zero GX on Very Hard.

...but not all of them. Still, hot damn that was tough.
Yeah.. I remember the Summer I spent 100%ing that game. I'm not one to curse or throw controllers while gaming, but Very Hard in story mode made me come really close.

BiggNife

I gave my Animal Crossing town an extremely elaborate sidewalk. It was such a pain in the ass to do, but it looked so damn nice.

Raiden

Banned
Beat Ninja Gaiden on hard mode. Second boss took me 10 hours to beat. But after that something clicked and i blazed through that game like a pro.

Dizzy-4U

Goldeneye: Bunker 2 - 00 Agent

Bazillion guards all over the place. Cleaned the whole place just using the slap. Took me forever but it was fun.

As a kid I could beat NES Contra in ~14 minutes without dying once. Probably not a huge achievement, but no one else in my neighborhood could do it, so I felt a little proud.

I beat 4 out of the 5 bosses in Bloodborne: The Old Hunters on my first try (Laurence was the exception). I'm afraid to play that DLC again because I don't want to tarnish that high note.

KaYotiX

Banned
When I was a kid I could beat TMNT on the NES in under an hour :)

My friends at the time couldn't beat the under water level with the bombs lol

Getting a perfect score in horse archery in Ocarina of Time back in the day, since I stupidly followed those "triforce/sky temple" theories back in the day. Broke a controller trying to get that perfect score :p

Wink

Playing through Dust - An Elysian Tale on the hardest difficulty without doing any of the sidequests or grinding for XP.

Top Bottom