• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Yes Boss!

Possibly the wrong thread but did anyone pick up monster boy? Debating on whether it's worth $20, looks cool though.

Yeah, it is totally legit. The SMS game all redone exactly as it was presented back in the day but oh so much more beautiful with the extended wide view. Also allows scan lines, CRT effect and an FM sound options and the original passwords work. It also has a completely newly redone hand draw art version and symphonic score. All switchable in the fly.

And from the Soul Bubbles crew and they are awesome. Game is right up retro-gaf's alley.

Yeah, it is totally legit. The SMS game all redone exactly as it was presented back in the day but oh so much more beautiful with the extended wide view. Also allows scan lines, CRT effect and an FM sound options and the original passwords work. It also has a completely newly redone hand draw art version and symphonic score. All switchable in the fly.

And from the Soul Bubbles crew and they are awesome. Game is right up retro-gaf's alley.

Hmm, $20 is a little rich for me but it seems like they really put a lot of care into the release so I want to support the effort.

Screw it, bought.

IrishNinja

...and also it's on the Genesis so it's probably better anyways.

tumblr_inline_nwv19sKgFq1qdx846_500.gif

televator

Ah, must have skimmed the case too quickly since I didn't see it. Not sure when I'll be able to go again but I'll have to keep an eye out. If price is the same, I do prefer buying in person than online.

Since y'all did nothing but shit on me for buying the genesis version, I decided to also pick this up:

People gave you shit for buying the superior genesis version?

D.Lo

Eh, Mega Drive Aladdin had the hype because it had Disney involvement, but it's a pretty standard (aka medicore) western developed platformer with slightly above average animation. Also eh music like most western Mega Drive games (did it use like 3 channels only? The Japanese could make the console sing, the west, not so much). SNES one is a slightly above average Capcom Disney game, more detailed graphics and much better level design/flow. But is too easy and the music is just okay.

It's kind of strange how similar they are, evidently Capcom took a lot of the ideas of the Mega Drive game? Was it commissioned as a port? Yet they were supposedly released quite close to each other. Sega game got the hype because it was promoted by Disney.

Ah, must have skimmed the case too quickly since I didn't see it. Not sure when I'll be able to go again but I'll have to keep an eye out. If price is the same, I do prefer buying in person than online.
Since y'all did nothing but shit on me for buying the genesis version, I decided to also pick this up:
honestly, your overreactions crack me up =)
People gave you shit for buying the superior genesis version?
hahahaha, i not sure if that's exactly said but remember some comment that gave off the impression the snes is better maybe in jest, but the funniest was when it came full circle and everyone is saying the genesis is better. had me dying =D

D.Lo

usure.png

animation was top fuckin' notch for '93, cmon now
Probably fair enough, animation was quite shit back then.

But I never liked it, because it was frames for the sake of frames. Sonic for example has much better animation overall IMO. Aladdin has lots of frames for animation sequences, eg running animation, but some shit transitions between sequences, eg jumping on/off ropes, or swapping direction mid air. It creates a disconnect to have zero frames to transition between high frame sequences. This is actually a problem most 3D games had for a long, long time too.

Sonic has less animation, but sequences designed to transition well, eg spinning. Overall it gives a smoother impression with less frames. SNES Aladdin is more like that too (though still a bit more choppy), less frames per sequence but a more consistent animation presentation.

Capcom Aladdin is better.

Genesis Aladdin is fun for a stage or two but in general it suffers from the animation>gameplay that earthworm Jim does and feels bad to play because of it.

The same problem earthworm Jim has where sometimes you have no fucking idea what shape or areas are actual platforms or have collision and aren't just decoration.

Both games are OK, I guess. I had the Genesis one as a kid and always got super bored of it pretty quickly. A friend had the SNES version and it was way more fun to just move around in that game opposed to the Genesis one. Also, Aladdin isn't fucking people up with swords in the movie, he's running around with his Arabian parkour and flipping around like a weirdo, so it made more sense to me.

Here I am bringing up ludonarrative dissonance between SNES and Genesis Aladdin.

Yes Boss!

Capcom Aladdin is better.

Genesis Aladdin is fun for a stage or two but in general it suffers from the animation>gameplay that earthworm Jim does and feels bad to play because of it.

The same problem earthworm Jim has where sometimes you have no fucking idea what shape or areas are actual platforms or have collision and aren't just decoration.

Agreed. A lot like Vectorman too. Kinda group them together.

Well Zaraki_Kenpachi =) there have you it, both games are good pickup!

i need to get one as i keep missing it at Digital Press. the first time the girl was really busy to make a label and i had to leave. the second time, it was on the shelf but i forgot about it.
hopefully third times a charm.

D.Lo

Semi related: Playing Wonder Boy: The Dragons Trap. It's fantastic, so much better than I expected for a 1:1 gameplay remake, for one reason: the animation matching the physics.

The re-done animation with the exact same physics makes this game play so much better. Playing it (with the easy retro graphics switching to make comparisons easy) is like a game design lesson. Matching physics (aka gameplay interaction) to animation is just so important.

Fularu

Banned
Wonder Boy is just amazing

Omar and crew did a fantastic job (not surprised since he's the biggest Sega/Westone fanboy on earth)

As for MD Alladin, all the budget went into the first few levels because the further you go into the game, the worse it is and just becomes lazy in the end with Genesis 2's as backgrounds (what does it have to do with Alladin??)

I am so psyched for Wonder Boy, though I'm trying to hold off till I actually finish Zelda, since any gaming time I have goes to that. Though I did just get a little bonus from work and used part of it to buy an Everdrive N8 famicom edition. Finally used my points from StoneAgeGamer and got 30 bucks off the price.

Laws00

I wanted to play Aladdin. At the time I had a SNES and not A genesis. I rented the SNES version thinking the 2 were the same. NOPE

Although good and made by capcom I was disappointed that he didn't have a sword to use in the game

And the Aladdin battle rages on...

So is there a better system for Earthworm Jim since someone brought up that game? Wanted to pick those up again soon but since I only played it on genesis I was going to get that one.

Wonder Boy is just amazing

Omar and crew did a fantastic job (not surprised since he's the biggest Sega/Westone fanboy on earth)

As for MD Alladin, all the budget went into the first few levels because the further you go into the game, the worse it is and just becomes lazy in the end with Genesis 2's as backgrounds (what does it have to do with Alladin??)

I only played an hour last night but the game is amazing. The seamless switching between retro and modern is also incredible. Everything about that game is really well done.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Peltz

Agreed. A lot like Vectorman too. Kinda group them together.

Vectorman has issues, yes, but I don't think movement is one of them.

Semi related: Playing Wonder Boy: The Dragons Trap. It's fantastic, so much better than I expected for a 1:1 gameplay remake, for one reason: the animation matching the physics.

The re-done animation with the exact same physics makes this game play so much better. Playing it (with the easy retro graphics switching to make comparisons easy) is like a game design lesson. Matching physics (aka gameplay interaction) to animation is just so important.

I never played a game from this series. The trailer on the Switch eShop looks good though. (That's the game you're talking about right?)

D.Lo

Seriously.

Ex03oIA.gif

285143_0c5fc661d4504cef8b506be9e3d88eb2.gif
Demonstrates exactly what I was talking about. Good animation routines but garbage transitions between them, resulting in a more jerky result than something with less animation overall.

I never played a game from this series. The trailer on the Switch eShop looks good though. (That's the game you're talking about right?)
Yep, it's so amazing looking and sounding, making the original game shine. And it has a crazy feature that allows you to switch to the original graphics on the fly.

Tain

I've seen this sentiment elsewhere, too, and I really can't wait to get this game in a couple months once it shows up on Steam.

I often harp on about how enthusiasts drastically understate how entwined aesthetics and mechanics are and this seems like an awfully tangible example of that.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I only played an hour last night but the game is amazing. The seamless switching between retro and modern is also incredible. Everything about that game is really well done.
If you really want something weird you can constantly hit that change graphics button until half the screen is retro and half the screen is modern.

Peltz

Is Bubble Bobble on Saturn the most arcade accurate 240p port? Hows the PS1 version?

Even though I like the NES version, I really don't like all the cut graphics/sound.

Is Bubble Bobble on Saturn the most arcade accurate 240p port?

Even though I like the NES version, I really don't like all the cut graphics/sound.

I doubt it. Saturn can't do 256×224. I haven't played it, but this could mean the game is either pillarboxed or stretched.

Quick question:

I've started investing more in Super Famicom games, since they are typically cheaper and often more complete than SNES versions. Is there a resource for cases with the Super Famicom version of art on them? I'd need one for Super Aleste and Castlevania X.

Bonus collection pic:

KC-Slater

Is Bubble Bobble on Saturn the most arcade accurate 240p port? Hows the PS1 version?

I doubt it. Saturn can't do 256×224. I haven't played it, but this could mean the game is either pillarboxed or stretched.

Are you referring to Bubble Symphony? I can look tonight to see what it's outputting to my OSSC. I think it looks and sounds great on the Saturn.

Quick question:

I've started investing more in Super Famicom games, since they are typically cheaper and often more complete than SNES versions. Is there a resource for cases with the Super Famicom version of art on them? I'd need one for Super Aleste and Castlevania X.

Bonus collection pic:

Might want to check nintandbox for SFC box scans. You can print on cardstock and have a relatively convincing replacement
http://www.nintandbox.net/index.php/en/

I guess they skirt by because they replace the UPC with the site logo but it's still kinda shady considering all the copyrighted material, lol

I guess they skirt by because they replace the UPC with the site logo but it's still kinda shady considering all the copyrighted material, lol

I'm fine with this. I'd love to have good looking boxes for personal and organizational reasons but would want something to make it obvious that it's not a legitimate box. Replacing the UPC is unobtrusive but easy to look at and say that's not real if I were to buy something online.

BTails

Aladdin Genesis vs SNES is one of the few fights my wife and I continue to have to this day. I'm fully in the Sega camp, but she absolutely adores the Nintendo release.

We've tried to sort it out a few times, but neither of us are budging.

Same here. Legend of Mana is one of my favorites but I've always been curious about SD 2&3. We should do a coop run of it someday.
speaking of co-op i'm hoping you or me can find a 2nd guncon2 lightgun for cheap so we can co-op some ps2 time crisis 2+3.

but yeah i've been looking at secret of mana on ebay but nothing reaching out to me so far.

Might want to check nintandbox for SFC box scans. You can print on cardstock and have a relatively convincing replacement
http://www.nintandbox.net/index.php/en/

Cool, I'll check them out thanks!

Same here. Legend of Mana is one of my favorites but I've always been curious about SD 2&3. We should do a coop run of it someday.

Seiken Densetsu 3 is far better than Secret of Mana in my opinion. I'd start there, personally. I've never really been into the first Secret of Mana, something about it just puts me off.

I played SD3 a long time ago on an emulator back around 2000-2005 and even stooping to shit SNES9X emulation on my laptop, it was extremely fun. I got a nice repro now and love it.

Bubble Bobble (and Rainbow Islands) is squished (pillar boxed) on Saturn. PS1 is the way to go.

It's really surprising the amount of games affected by this. I noticed Saturn Policenauts is squished. Normally it doesn't bother me but this game took it into account on PS1 (and wherever else) and it's very noticeably wrong on Saturn.

Top Bottom