• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Closes Maxis Emeryville Studio (Spore/SimCity),[other Maxis branches staying open]

judhudson

I guess they could not save themselves from the disaster known as SimCity 5 / The New SimCity.

First to break the news was Guillaume Pierre, the lead gameplay scripter on the latest version of SimCity.

David Monks @F2CMaDMaXX
@beyondsims @MaxisGuillaume Yeah, sorry, i saw this as you leaving, has the studio closed?

Guillaume Pierre @MaxisGuillaume
@F2CMaDMaXX @beyondsims yes. Everyone's out of a job.

Source: http://www.beyondsims.com/55229/ea-closes-maxis-emeryville/

***Update from EA***

Today we are consolidating Maxis IP development to our studios in Redwood Shores, Salt Lake City, Helsinki and Melbourne locations as we close our Emeryville location. Maxis continues to support and develop new experiences for current Sims and SimCity players, while expanding our franchises to new platforms and developing new cross-platform IP.

These changes do not impact our plans for The Sims. Players will continue to see rich new experiences in The Sims 4, with our first expansion pack coming soon along with a full slate of additional updates and content in the pipeline.

All employees impacted by the changes today will be given opportunities to explore other positions within the Maxis studios and throughout EA. For those that are leaving the company, we are working to ensure the best possible transition with separation packages and career assistance.

http://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-simcity-developer-maxis-1689454903

hatchx

Banned
Seems appropriate:

2602193-9874855801-24538.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
That really sucks (even if not exactly surprising).

Weird coincidence on the timing since the PR buzz is going all in for City Skylines these days.

Revven

I can't believe it actually happened but... it did. Wooooooow. I hope everyone there lands on their feet somewhere. I mean, we all predicted it would happen but I never thought it'd happen so soon -- what, 2 years after SimCity came out? Crazy.

Just terrible decisions were made with SimCity.

Unfortunate. Beneath the business mantra that drove SimCity to become the DRM abomination it was, there was a good game dying to get out. Maxis was a good team and will be remembered fondly.

Really sucks, but it's hard to prove your worth when there is a huge mistake that's made.

The Maxis heads are definitely the ones to blame here.

Lunar15

After the SimCity fiasco, I can't say this is surprising. That said, I hope everyone lands on their feet and can find something new.

I remember someone here got a job as a tester there. I wonder if they still worked there before this.

The closing isn't a surprise though. Sim City was horrible.

maneil99

Holy fuck, they keep cutting down their studios, they are only left with Visceral and Dice and Bioware, all of which have like 2.5 teams. Do they not realize Hardline is going to flop really fucking bad?

judhudson

Will Wright got out at the right time.

So is this the main studio or is it a sub studio like Bioware Austin?

Main Studio - Maxis which developed The Sims 1 and The Sims 2 before merging them into the EA Redwood Shores as The Sims Studio. Maxis went on to develop Spore and then SimCity.

I wonder if the SimCity brand will stick with The Sims Studio, of if it too is gone completely. I dunno if The Sims Studio has went back with the Maxis name or not. :/

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
They should convert the studio into marketing department. Just look at how much they help sells all other city Sims.

ugh

Both Spore and Sim City could have been great had EA not meddled with the designs of them and made horrible decisions anyone with a brain could have seen would have failed.

tcrunch

Group responsible for Spore and the latest SimCity doesn't sound like one I would want to keep around either.

cirrhosis

RIP in peace

The true Maxis died a long time ago.

I sincerely hope that everyone affected can find a new job promptly.

And the tradition of corporate blood letting continues as shamefully as ever. Didn't make your quarter this year? Never again see the light of day.

Fucking shame, even if the newest Sim City was a disgrace to previous titles.

Rflagg

Maybe if you didn't gut your games to the point they are barely recognizable more people would buy them.

Megasoum

Banned
DICE Has two big games in the work right now but I'm sure that if they are not successfull they would transform the studio into a tech oriented group for the other EA studios (they are the ones that created and maintained Frostbite)

massoluk

Banned
ugh

Both Spore and Sim City could have been great had EA not meddled with the designs of them and made horrible decisions anyone with a brain could have seen would have failed.

Uh... Spore and SimCity both have problems beyond the DRM bullshits, I'm not convinced EA not meddling would help out all that much.

LakeEarth

Force studio to add things to game that everyone will hate (or remove what people will love)
Everyone hates it
Poor Sales
Repeat until Losses > Limit
Close Studio

Top Bottom