• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hasbro looking for Yo-Kai Watch product designer, hints at localization of first game

kubus

Hasbro is looking for a senior product designer for their Yo-Kai Watch toy line. Now, normally this isn't such exciting news, but it gives a slight hint as to what to expect from the game localization as they hint at a localization of the first game instead of the second game. "Well, obviously," you might say, but some people were hoping/fearing they would start with Youkai Watch 2 as it kinda retells the story of the first game and it is seen as a much better game to introduce a new audience to the Yokai Watch series. Starting with YW2 would also close the release gap between Japan and the West, another reason people were hopeful they would skip the first game.

The job listing also gives us a preview of what kind of merch we can expect. Here is the description:

Hasbro is thrilled to be expanding the amazingly successful Yo-Kai Watch brand in the US. We are excited to create a comprehensive, fluid, product ecosystem that is centered on Yo-kai spirits and encompasses an entire array of play experiences, including an integrated digital experience, that will compel boys and girls age 4-10 to collect and play with over 220 unique Yo-kai offered in various product forms including mini figures, role play, plush and collectible Spirit Medals.

We are searching for talented, driven experts to help design products that will define the way children experience this entertainment based brand. A top candidate must have a solid track record of creating entertainment based play for children age 6-10 and must be able to demonstrate the ability to drive innovation, as well as own the user experience, for an entire range of products.

The "over 220 unique Yo-kai" line lines up with the total amount of Yokai that can be found in the first game (223). The total amount of Yokai in YW2 is about 430. So that's the hint I mentioned. It's also interesting to note how the Yokai Medals are called Spirit Medals in the description here.

Complete job listing here

(Of course, it was completely expected we would get YW1 first but still, it's good to have semi-confirmation as some people still had doubts.)

Sure does feel like it's taking a while to get the ball rolling. They must want the merchandise and game ready simultaneously.

I just want the game already.

Syril

Sure does feel like it's taking a while to get the ball rolling. They must want the merchandise and game ready simultaneously.

I just want the game already.
This is pretty much Level 5's biggest success ever. I guess they want to make sure everything is in place for the localization. If it takes off here too, maybe they can start self-publishing more of their games overseas.

From more core players, are the Yokai Watch games any good? Despite me outgrowing Pokemon in terms of the anime / cutesy products, I still thoroughly enjoy the games (predominately as a single player experience)...whereas for Yokai watch doesn't look all that appealing.

Surely YW's insane amounts of success can't be from children alone...but all demographics.

Infinite

From more core players, are the Yokai Watch games any good? Despite me outgrowing Pokemon in terms of the anime / cutesy products, I still thoroughly enjoy the games (predominately as a single player experience)...whereas for Yokai watch doesn't look all that appealing.

Surely YW's insane amounts of success can't be from children alone...but all demographics.

In a similar boat. I play Pokemon for the community and competition but I don't care for the merch or show. For Yokai to be half as interesting to me it'll have to be a great single player rpg

The second game retells the first? How does that work?

Also it'll be very interesting to see how this does state side. I doubt it'll topple pokemon, but the level 5 is definitlty making all the right moves. Only time will tell.

Bass260

I wonder if a new IP can really blossom on 3DS in NA, at least to the level they want it at. I hope so.

sörine

Banned
I wonder if a new IP can really blossom on 3DS in NA, at least to the level they want it at. I hope so.
Tomodachi Life did really well just last year. So did Bravely Default and even Fantasy Life seems to have ended up doing okay. There's a lot of potential on 3DS with the proper handling.

alexein

wzll i can see them realease it soon, inazuma eleven craze seems to fade .
my nephew shows almost no interest for 2nd go that will release.
Maybe this summer for yokai watch as there will be no pokemon, just one inazuma for next year and they will shift towards yokai watch with anime...

kubus

In a similar boat.
Can't speak for the second game as I only beat the first, but I recognize myself in your posts and I am sold on the Yokai Watch series. The battle system isn't nearly as deep as the Pokemon games, but in return it has a much better story (it is very single player focused) and amazing exploration. The map/city is huge and there is so much to discover. Almost every building can be entered and everything is full of little details - it truly is wonderful. If you're looking for a fun singleplayer RPG with a monster catching/battling system, with a nice story and tons of content, you should keep this game on your radar.

And people keep telling me the second game is so much better... I can't wait to play it :).

Also it'll be very interesting to see how this does state side. I doubt it'll topple pokemon, but the level 5 is definitlty making all the right moves. Only time will tell.
Haven't played past the opening sequence of YW2 yet, but it has a "erased memory" kind of plot so you will be reintroduced to most of the cast (I think). Probably put in there because many players started with YW2 as the series only got really popular after the anime started (which started after the release of YW1).

Mr-Joker

Banned
Sweet can't wait to play it when it get released.

Though I hope that they just go with Yo-Kai Watch 2 if it just retells the first story, it would be silly to release Yo-Kai Watch 1 then then release Yo-Kai 2 which is two version.

Plus it would close the gap between the west and Japan release.

Real question Is will it be as popular as pokėmans here in the US

Well the beauty of Pokémon that out of 721 you are bound to have a monster that you like, Yo-kai watch can probably do the same.

The bigger question will Yo-kai Watch stick around or just fade away?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Has anything so completely and utterly Japan-centric succeeded on a large scale overseas before? I think Yo-Kai Watch has a pretty big challenge ahead of it. I could see it doing fairly well, but not cultural phenomenon-well.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Has anything so completely and utterly Japan-centric succeeded on a large scale overseas before? I think Yo-Kai Watch has a pretty big challenge ahead of it. I could see it doing fairly well, but not cultural phenomenon-well.

Pokémon Red and Blue.

Meffer

Well it kinda does. Two old ladies take the MC's Watch and wipes his memory anything related to Youkai. Shortly after though the MC's gets it back and his memory, along with Whisper and Jibanyan come back. The story in the first one isn't needed for the story in the second one.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Pokémon Red and Blue.

I really don't see how it comes close to being comparable. Yo-Kai Watch *is* Japan through and through. Setting, characters, the concept of Yo-Kai, just about everything. That really didn't apply to Pokémon.

Meffer

I really don't see how it comes close to being comparable. Yo-Kai Watch *is* Japan through and through. Setting, characters, the concept of Yo-Kai, just about everything. That really didn't apply to Pokémon.
Actually, when Pokemon was crossing worldwide they didn't think it would do well either or not do it at all. If there is interest it'll do fine. Yokai Watch will do fine I think.

Meffer

I also I want to add that Yokai Watch would and will be interesting is because it's so japanese. In this case, they should embrace it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, when Pokemon was crossing worldwide they didn't think it would do well either or not do it at all. If there is interest it'll do fine. Yokai Watch will do fine I think.

They didn't think Pokémon would do well even in Japan. The reason NOA was worried about the success of Pokémon in the west was not because of themes or setting, but because they thought an RPG with lots of text on the Gameboy wouldn't be appealing to Americans.

I also I want to add that Yokai Watch would and will be interesting is because it's so japanese. In this case, they should embrace it.

They're going to have to if they don't want to pretty much redo all of the art and story.

Meffer

Poor your Pokémons.

Yokai is a breath of fresh air. Can't wait.
It really is. I had a lot of fun playing it for the first time through and I'm still am whenever get to it. What it does really well compared to Pokemon is how fleshed out the world is and the all the details that makes it a wonderful experience. And the endgame is HUGE.

It really is. I had a lot of fun playing it for the first time through and I'm still am whenever get to it. What it does really well compared to Pokemon is how fleshed out the world is and the all the details that makes it a wonderful experience. And the endgame is HUGE.
And it runs in 3D, looks like a 2015 game, and doesn't run at 15fps. :eek:

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm tired of hints, this should have been announced ages ago :T Soooo slow to localize any games into English, ugh.

Meffer

I'm tired of hints, this should have been announced ages ago :T Soooo slow to localize any games into English, ugh.
The thing this one is that the toys, show and games work together. You have to make sure everything is ready.

Meffer

If I were them I would start with the first game as well for a couple of reasons. One being that you don't want to overwhelm with too many monsters at first. For example, what if Pokemon started with as many Pokemon as they do now? It would overwhelming and not make individual Pokemon memorable as they would over time.

Another reason is linked content. The first game can be linked with the second one to unlock extra goodies.

kubus

If I were them I would start with the first game as well for a couple of reasons. One being that you don't want to overwhelm with too many monsters at first. For example, what if Pokemon started with as many Pokemon as they do now? It would overwhelming and not make individual Pokemon memorable as they would over time.

Another reason is linked content. The first game can be linked with the second one to unlock extra goodies.
Yeah, though release gaps suck, I also think the releasing first game would be fine. If they time it right with a simultaneous release of the merchandise and anime, I think it would be enough to become pretty popular with kids. The watch and the medal collecting is really cool and the characters have great designs that they will be loved by boys and girls. They might want to limit the plushies to just the cool and cute Yokai like Jibanyan and Komasan though, I don't know if there's a market for Jinmenken plushies here :p.

Meffer

Yeah, though release gaps suck, I also think the releasing first game would be fine. If they time it right with a simultaneous release of the merchandise and anime, I think it would be enough to become pretty popular with kids. The watch and the medal collecting is really cool and the characters have great designs that they will be loved by boys and girls. They might want to limit the plushies to just the cool and cute Yokai like Jibanyan and Komasan though, I don't know if there's a market for Jinmenken plushies here :p.
You never know lol. As for releasing the YW2, I would release the first two versions a year after the first one then release the third version around six months or so after.

It's been a long time coming, but it feels like they're really trying to get all their ducks in a row with the launch. Here's hoping it goes well!

Tizoc

As someone with little interest in playing Pokemon, I am mad hype for Yokai Watch, that red cat's got more charm than Pikachu :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
As someone with little interest in playing Pokemon, I am mad hype for Yokai Watch, that red cat's got more charm than Pikachu :p

They totally created him to be a Pikachu killer. It's in the name.

Jiba (magnetic field) + Nyan (meow) = Magnetic Cat

vs.

Pika (spark) + Chu (mouse cry) = Electric Mouse

Top Bottom