• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Assassins Creed move to a "shared world experience" like Destiny?

Rocketz

I recently started playing Assassins Creed: Unity and I started thinking about the series as a whole. As we know the Assassin Creed series is known for its open world cities that allow the player to explore and traverse basically anywhere they want. All the games up until Unity were all single player and with the arrival of Unity brought co-op to the series. Is the next step a "shared world experience" like what Destiny brought?

Looking at Assassins Creed series each character you play as is apart of the Assassins or in AC: Rouge, the Templars. Obviously there are many members of these organizations so it would make sense in say Paris where AC: Unity is set, why couldn't there be other players as Assassins in the world? Missions could be co-op like Destiny and not just certain missions like what Unity has. Public events could happen like the ones in Destiny where all the players in this world could meet and complete a task to get a reward. Story could be still played as a single player and focus on a certain Assassin like your Guardian in Destiny. There could be co-op only missions still that reward groups of players with money or items for their characters. AC: Unity got around the whole aspect that everyone is Arno in co-op by adding the character customization so players will look different from one another.

Could Assassins Creed move to a format like this or is it better off as a single player only game with certain missions as co-op or multiplayer like the older games?

Throw me in a pile of hay if old.

ironcreed

Banned
I don't need every game to be some always online experience. Leave it single player, plus some co-op missions blended in. Like with Unity.

Newlove

I would prefer if the focus stayed on single player with the optional co-op missions that are designed around that. I enjoy jumping in co-op missions but it would take me out the immersion if it started invading the story.

I sure as hell hope not.

Having a lot of assassins running around would defeat the purpose of being an assassin. Not to mentionthey would need to rebuild all if the ganeplay regarding fighting.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't think we'll see a series really go for it that's aiming to be an annual franchise. Destiny relies a lot on grinding and retaining players for long periods of time, something the AC formula can't really obtain just by sheer virtue of its' business model. I mean what would a compelling public event even be in AC?

I can see maybe something like this happening, but probably very barebones compared to Destiny. Though honestly given my experience with MP I'm not sure the series is really going to be any fun with randoms. A game like Destiny, sure, you need to kill all the things. You might have slightly different playstyles and abilities, but largely under the same umbrella. In AC Unity playing with a co-ordianted strike team is cool but a lot of the time it's just a bunch of rambos that alert every enemy they can.

If they did do it, I'd like it to be something like Player A is on a mission to Killer Story NPC X. Player B wanders in range but doesn't know Player A's target, but is instead tasked with supporting him by taking out guards or something.

I'd rather see them add invaders when you're mucking around the open world. Seems like it would be a good fit for the series and the assassins vs Templars story.

Rocketz

I don't think we'll see a series really go for it that's aiming to be an annual franchise. Destiny relies a lot on grinding and retaining players for long periods of time, something the AC formula can't really obtain just by sheer virtue of its' business model. I mean what would a compelling public event even be in AC?

I can see maybe something like this happening, but probably very barebones compared to Destiny. Though honestly given my experience with MP I'm not sure the series is really going to be any fun with randoms. A game like Destiny, sure, you need to kill all the things. You might have slightly different playstyles and abilities, but largely under the same umbrella. In AC Unity playing with a co-ordianted strike team is cool but a lot of the time it's just a bunch of rambos that alert every enemy they can.

If they did do it, I'd like it to be something like Player A is on a mission to Killer Story NPC X. Player B wanders in range but doesn't know Player A's target, but is instead tasked with supporting him by taking out guards or something.

In thinking along the lines of what Unity was a public event could be meet in the location where a certain NPC is going to be hanged and they need to be rescued. Players take out the guards. Quick and easy like the events in Destiny then your on your way again. Or something like a simple parkour race. Who knows the best route. Something like this would bring a little bit more than the assassinations events around Unity thats just kill this NPC.

I'd rather see them add invaders when you're mucking around the open world. Seems like it would be a good fit for the series and the assassins vs Templars story.

This was also a thought as it can be like the Watch_Dogs invasions. Optional though.

CackleAndHide

Neo Member
I hope they don't. I actually enjoyed the unity coop when it worked, even with randoms. I'd left it right to the end to do but found the coop stuff some of the most interesting as it felt a bit different to the rest of the game which had become a bit samey towards the end.

But to me, assassins creed is a single player experience in which you're a lone assassin working your way through a city. Loads of other people flying about all the time would just be wierd.

It works for destiny because of its setting and the (small amount) of story that pins it all together. Plus the loading was so long in unity I dread to think what it'd be like if it was constantly loading players into the world and keeping track of them.

Gamezone

Gold Member
God, no. You can beg Ubisoft to create an Assassins Creed MMO, but leave the offline single player alone.

I sure as hell hope not.

Having a lot of assassins running around would defeat the purpose of being an assassin. Not to mentionthey would need to rebuild all if the ganeplay regarding fighting.
Most of the games by themselves already defeat the purpose of being an assassin. From the very standout clothes, the lack of emphasis on hard stealth, fighting dozens of enemies in the public, and other design things. So, this ain't that far-fetched.

Top Bottom