• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Loses Viva Piñata Trademark

Guerrilla

EDIT 3: DSers f'ed up, it was just a trademark for strategy guides etc.... Nothing to see here....
post-33707-nothing-to-see-here-gif-please-BeZM.gif

This makes me very sad :(

http://www.*****************/2015/03/09/microsoft-loses-viva-pinata-trademark/

Microsoft has lost the trademark rights for the classic Xbox 360/PC title Viva Piñata, a game that spawned a sequel, television series and even a Nintendo DS version, though in that case it was published by THQ instead of Microsoft.

The family-friendly garden/life simulator was well received upon release on the Xbox 360 as was the sequel, Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise.

Many have held hope that Microsoft may bring a new Viva Piñata to the Xbox One, but with the firm abandoning the franchise trademark it looks a little less likely, but not impossible. The romance dance may yet get the next-gen treatment.

After holding onto the trademark for almost a decade, the firm has failed to renew it, so they’ve been slapped with a Section 8 cancellation under the Trademark Act.

Section 8 of the Trademark Act, 15 U.S.C. §1058 is a regulation that requires a sworn declaration on the “continued use” of a trademark or “excusable nonuse,” to be provided between the 5th and 6th years and between the 9th and 10th years after the registration date.

Hopefully this is just an error on Microsoft’s part and that it’s just a simple case of a clumsy Dave forgetting to renew the trademark.

I hope this is a last guardian kind of situation...

Beat till candy falls out if old

Edit: Didn't know the site was banned here, It's DSers, sorry :/

Edit 2: Original Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=78779816+&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

I can't imagine they'll have any problems getting it back if/when they decide to make another. At least now we'll know its coming

Hasney

Hm, after Googling, the story only seems to have that banned site as picking it up.

If true, hopefully it is just a case of needing to renew. Loved the games.

nin1000

Banned
Fuck ! One of my Favourite games of tue last Generation. I remember playing it in my new xbox360 and it being my first 1000 gamerscore.
A sad day indeed.

Viva Pinata was legitimately one of my favorite games last-gen. So unique and charming. I'll always hold out hope we might get another one one day.

soo...
viva pinata as multiplat?
it would make a terrific wiiu//n3ds game!
return of the prodigal son on nintendo's side!

let me wish...

Raide

someone steal it and make a game.

PLEASE I'M BEGGING YOU

This may have been an awesome kinect game.

I always thought that using Kinect you dig the garden, water the plans and do the general design stuff would be really great. As would the beating monsters with a spade until their chocolate treats fell out.

Hopefully this is a mistake and hopefully its Rare that picks up the TM.

-MD-

Honestly wouldn't bother me, if Rare ends up being decent again (it's fun to dream) I wouldn't want them wrapping up resources in VP.

Not that they're not good games, just that neither of them clicked for me.

Lazaro

As someone who does not know, how is the PC port of this? and what is the gameplay like?

PC Port is alright. To achieve custom resolutions you need to configure .ini files. There is M&KB support and controller support.

Game uses GFWL.

I got my retail PC copy for $9 The manual is in colour :3

Port is done by Climax Studios.

This may have been an awesome kinect game.

I always thought that using Kinect you dig the garden, water the plans and do the general design stuff would be really great. As would the beating monsters with a spade until their chocolate treats fell out.

Having played Viva Pinata + sequel fairly extensively and having used Kinect, I don't know how either of you could believe this.

Dunkley

As someone who does not know, how isthe PC port of this? and what is the gameplay like?

It's good. There are some strange ommissions in the graphics (like shadows missing anywhere outside of the garden itself, lack of AA and LOD options), but it runs very well, controls equally great and bad if you are playing it with the mouse (pointing and clicking works great but stuff like tapping with the shovel has to be scrolled to with the wheel), and it's Viva Pinata and that's always awesome.

If you haven't played it on 360 you should definitely get it. It's a small but really good micramagement game that you can pour days into.

Man, all those big plans I'm sure they had for Viva Pinata, out the window!

Viva Pinata and Geometry Wars was the main reasons I grabbed the 360 early last generation.

Skele7on

Banned
Having played Viva Pinata + sequel fairly extensively and having used Kinect, I don't know how either of you could believe this.

Because what you actually do is fairly simple and Kinect at least in the xbox one is actually fairly functional, I wouldn't expect the whole game to be kinect based, but actually I think using it for digging, menus and finding animals quickly by saying name would be a great feature to add.

Top Bottom