• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whatever happened to dust 514?

dcelw540

I know this game released I think last year but it's been dark and nobody has heard anything new about it. I just thought of the game after hearing about eve valkyrie coming to pc and ps4 sometime soon. Do you think dust 514 is going to get ported to ps4 or do you guys think it's staying in the....
giphy.gif

dust?

Skele7on

Banned
it came out hardly worked EVE servers were getting a lot od DDOS at the time and faded it into the background.

Think of it as PS home in space.

I don't know, I played it once for about ten minutes and found a completely generic online fps. I couldn't delete it fast enough. Knowing free to play, its probably making lots of money.

Then again it probably isn't.

I remember being excited for it when it was announced as I couldn't get into EVE at the time and the thought of "playing" EVE in another capacity and influencing events in the MMO was interesting.

But after I downloaded and played it, I just was confused at what I needed to be doing, the UI was messy, and the shooting didn't feel right.

I played it for a while. It was complicated to understand the menu's and load outs and the gameplay wasn't that fun.

edit:

I remember being excited for it when it was announced as I couldn't get into EVE at the time and the thought of "playing" EVE in another capacity and influencing events in the MMO was interesting.

But after I downloaded and played it, I just was confused at what I needed to be doing, the UI was messy, and the shooting didn't feel right.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

Remeard

It was painfully mediocre. Think of any thing you disliked about Planetside 2 and multimultiply it. Nothing seemed to have weight, yet your character felt like a brick on top oral and Rumba. I played it months afterwards and it seemed better, but by then the community was small and way above my skills level

The timing of its release was terrible given that it was a month before E3 when both the Xbox One and PS4 would finally take center stage. Everyone was focused on the future and since 514 wasn't making the jump to next gen, it was quickly forgotten.

As for the game itself, It played fine (for me) but was totally generic when compared to things like Warframe and Planetside 2.

Afrikan

It released too late in the PS3's life time.

Hopefully their engine is scalable or they have been building a new engine for the game and will have a PS4 version to work well with Valkyrie.

dugdug

Banned
I played it for a brief couple weeks. Reminded me of MAG in a lot of ways, which made me happy.

But, F2P model killed it for me. I never upgraded anything. Also didn't help that the game was ugly as sin.

Fury451

Banned
I

My experience in a nutshell. I thought it was Planetside 2 for some reason also- probably because I was only half paying attention when that game was being described. Very disappointed when I realized my error. Dust was incredibly dull.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
it came out hardly worked EVE servers were getting a lot od DDOS at the time and faded it into the background.

Think of it as PS home in space.

Just now with PS Home turning into PC Home with their attempt to bring it to PC. I don't think Valkeria or whatever they're calling it now is going to appeal to non-Dust fans, like I felt when they were doing the PS3 version.

PS3 version is DOA as well, no major huge upgrades since the announcement of the PC port.

They stopped development on any real content updates after the fanfest for the game company last year. Many fans were pissed off because they thought CCP was abandoning the game on console or something like that. Also many people that was working on the game left or got laid off, so only a very few people are still at the studio that works on the game. They never got close of achieving their goal. The game still gets updates, but it just messing around with current assets and the updates were heavily focused on monetization.

The game was never really popular and got mixed and bad reviews. Project Legion isn't being talked about and some people that were working on that left as well( they are the same team as the dust team and some worked on dust too). None of the games are hardly being talked about in the upcoming fanfest which is held every year. If CCP has a bad year again I can see them shutting the office down or they still might do it anyway.

They already said they weren't planing of porting to PS4 and there hasn't been evidence of them going to do that.

CTLance

It was painfully mediocre. Think of any thing you disliked about Planetside 2 and multimultiply it. Nothing seemed to have weight, yet your character felt like a brick on top oral and Rumba. I played it months afterwards and it seemed better, but by then the community was small and way above my skills level
I agree on the mediocre part.

It has CCP brand UI tomfoolery that makes you jump between seven thousand different menus to find what you need and features the much-beloved walking in stations interface on top. It also sports a very pronounced UE3 look and feel.

If you dare jump in now you'll be bent over the next table and tenderly loved by the people that not only outclass you in skill but also in equipment.

The part about 514 being its resolution isn't even that far off either, the PS3 is clearly being pushed to its limits.

So, it still exists, it's kinda fun if you have nothing else to play, but there are better alternatives. I rate it a resounding Meh out of ten.

Dot-N-Run

Honestly the gameplay just felt like a poor man's 2142 to me, and the character progression out of combat was hindered by tons of obtuse menus.

Just now with PS Home turning into PC Home with their attempt to bring it to PC. I don't think Valkeria or whatever they're calling it now is going to appeal to non-Dust fans, like I felt when they were doing the PS3 version.

EVE: Valkyrie is an MP space dogfighting game being developed specifically for VR. That makes it 1000x more interesting to me than whatever Dust was or will evolve into.

I remember playing it for an hour on PS3 and thinking "Why didn't they just wait and bring this to PS4". Seems like the Hardware is holding it back immensely, much like when the first Killzone came out.

I hope we see it on PS4 but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Jackpot

Banned
Project Legion was announced and then silence since. They pissed off the whole DUST514 fanbase an entire year before they needed to.

Corpekata

Banned
Ill advised from the start. Set in the universe of a devoted fanbase PC game but not released on PC plus released at the tail end of a console generation.

OptimusLime

It wasnt very good. The population dropped quickly and never recovered to my knowledge. My memories of playing it are of a buggy, uncoordinated, grey and brown mess.

Yeah it's being reworked for a relaunch as a PC title, essentially. The PS3 version is pretty much dead for a variety of reasons.

We should know more at fanfest this year on the state of the project.

5taquitos

The PS3 version had potential, and I was super-excited as a long-time on-and-off Eve player, but it was just...terrible.

It was pretty clear that they had no sense of direction and also had a very loose grasp on what makes a good FPS.

Fanfest is in 2 weeks so we'll know more about its status where it's being relaunched/overhauled as a PC title.

Even though I have a PS3 and an EVE player myself I didn't want to turn on my PS3 to play it. I did login though on both EVE and Dust when the wreck of a titan in Caldari Prime from EVE descended into the atmosphere of a planet which is where a dust 514 map was happening and saw it happen in both games at the same time.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7zFk0sQDhk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hihOdbuPu4Q
There used to be a video side-by-side all the time but I can't find it.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Would rather play Killzone 1 than Dust.
I tried it and it felt bad, slow, could barely see through the mud.
This game bit the Dust on ps3.
Will try on PC if it ever comes out.

Oh and they tried the whole keyboard and mouse thing as well..... Was 10x worse than the clunky controller layout...

Jackpot

Banned
Considering it's almost time for fanfest, I think it's safe to say we'll find out soon..

They said there'd be nothing on Project Legion.

CCP have a very bad development track record. Even Valkyrie has been fairly silent.

edit:

CCP_Frame said:
Hey guys,
We are not planning to make any announcements about or show anything new for DUST 514 or Project Legion at Fanfest,

So I've put it a shit ton of hours into Dust 514. It "launched" to very mediocre reception, but that's because it they were probably forced to "launch" by contracts or whatever even though at the time it was in very rough shape. Since then they have made a ton of updates and progressed quite far.

At last years Fan Fest they decided to announce Project Legion which was essentially Dust 514 on PC under a new name, and despite a lot of a applaud from the EVE community and the outside community, the actual Dust 514 player base was complete pissed off. Imagine being told the game you've been playing and supporting with your money for 1 to 2 years at the time was going to have a huge announcement being made and hyped up for months, and the announcement ends up being "Hey guys, we're stopping serious development on Dust 514, all you'll get is small hotfixes now, and we're going to make a completely new game that is just a copy of this one but on PC only. No plans for PS4 which is the natural progression for most of you" Yeah, a lot of people were pissed. I edited to OT I made for the game to reflect that as well, it was a bad time. I even own a mid/high end PC now but it's still a shitty move not to include this on PS4 where it makes sense for your existing supporters to follow you.

Aaaaaaaaanyways . . . much like every Fan Fest that came before it, I'd take everything said at last Fan Fest with a huge grain of salt. They have been dead quite on it, hopefully to address the backlash. In the meantime, one of their guys in finance who actually was an avid player of Dust 514 himself was made the design lead of Dust 514 since then and the game has since received a bunch of really good updates, not just hotfixes. It's amazing what happens when you let someone who was a true fan control of the game. Everything is being kept pretty "hush hush" right now though as far as making big public announcements because as was evident at launch, people judge the game for ten minutes in it's current form and then decide to likely never play it again. Definitely feels like they are waiting for the right time to announce it to the public again, whether that is as Project Legion or even Dust 514 on PS4. However, this announcement is highly unlikely for this years Fan Fest. They only have a small team working on totally revamping it right now. In the meantime, if you're able to put up with the PS3 and understand that there is an ongoing revamping process ran by a small team, I'd recommend you check it out again and see the progress they made.

Xtra

Neo Member
Link to OT

Yep, CCP did mess up pretty bad as can be seen by the reactions in that thread.

I fear that this game is pretty much history. It took CCP 5-6 years to make Eve a decent game, many who initially jumped on board the Dust 514 bandwagon believed that CCP was going to do the same with Dust. Even I thought that CCP would continually iterate on Dust 514 until we had a great game on our hands, even porting it to PS4 when the time was right.

Obviously this is not the case anymore. That is what happenes when you flood your development studio with Ex-EA guys.

Link to OT

Yep, CCP did mess up pretty bad as can be seen by the reactions in that thread.

I fear that this game is pretty much history. It took CCP 5-6 years to make Eve a decent game, many who initially jumped on board the Dust 514 bandwagon believed that CCP was going to do the same with Dust. Even I thought that CCP would continually iterate on Dust 514 until we had a great game on our hands, even porting it to PS4 when the time was right.

Obviously this is not the case anymore. That is what happenes when you flood your development studio with Ex-EA guys.

I wouldn't say it is necessarily not the case anymore. Was I pissed off? Absolutely, as indicated by how I updated that OT after the announcement. But a lot has changed since then. This idea that no major updates have happened since Legion was announced simply isn't true. Dust is still being iteratively updated and has another update coming soon which will even add some more HAV specializations.The small team they have working on Dust have been doing a lot in recent months and I at least definitely get the impression that they are going to update as much of the game on PS3 as possible so when they do decide to go to PC or PS4 (which I would no longer cross out) they have a product that will welcome good first impressions.

BiggNife

It was a cool idea but it just wasn't fun. The gameplay felt very generic/mediocre and the matches I played were super laggy.

The idea was fantastic, but the execution was awful. The gameplay, from the gun mechanics to the level design, feels like a developer who has never developed a shooter - which they haven't. Sure, the game is needlessly complicated, or at least unnecessarily unintuitive, but that's really an afterthought. I'm all for developers making games they are passionate about, but sometimes you need to know your limits.

Top Bottom