• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RedOut - Wiping out that F-Zero hunger

Castef

Banned
RedoutTitle-540x304.jpg

Title: RedOut (and no longer Red:Out)
Genre: sci-fi racing game
Similar to: Wipeout
And to: F-Zero
Also Quantum Redshift?: Yep
Developer: 34BigThings
Official Website: Yep!
Ok, can we have the website?: oh, here!
Platforms: PC (Steam), later on Xbox One (via id@xbox) and PS4
Release Date: September 2016 (PC Steam) - Console versions early 2017
Engine: Unreal Engine 4
VR Support: yes, on PC (Vive/Oculus Rift)

Official description:
Redout is a tribute to the old racing monsters such as F-Zero, WipeOut, Rollcage, and POD. No bollocks: get in the ship and slam that throttle. You’re in for an uncompromising, fast, tough and satisfying driving experience, soaked in that vertigo that stands at the core of the arcade racing genre.
Think you know the meaning of fast? We challenge you. From the first moment, you will feel the enormous amount of power coming from your engine. Hovering a few meters above the ground going over 800 km/h is no piece of cake. There’s no racing on rails here: each input will apply a physical force to your ship. This means you will feel every turn and every twist in the track.
A sharp low-poly style blends meshes and terrains with the latest state-of-the-art shading and lighting effects provided by the Unreal Engine 4, creating beautiful and instantly recognisable aesthetics. From dirty suburban environments, to eerie frozen landscapes, to vast desert plains, get ready for some seriously fast action in some seriously beautiful environments.

Features:
Online multiplayer - match against 12 players around the world for a real challenge
Optional VR Support - Oculus Rift, HTC Vive or Razer OSVR.
Career mode - 75+ events to race, experience, level up and upgrade your ship
A Diverse World - 20 tracks scattered around 4 locations on a post-apocalyptic Earth, plus boss circuits
Never bored - 7 event types, from classic Race to innovative Arena Race and Score-Based Endurance
Create your story - 6 racing teams, each requiring a different driving approach, and 4 increasingly fast racing classes
Powerup - 10+ racing-focused, upgradable powerups: additional turbo, shields, self-repair drone, advanced grip system, slipstream enhancers, and more
Music for your ears - full 5.1 support and a dynamic soundtrack that will drop sicker and sicker beats the faster you go!

Screenshots:
REDOUTScreenShot00210.jpg

REDOUTScreenShot00237.jpg

cairo_00.jpg

GIFs (thanks @More_Badass)
KOENIGG1_Start.gif
KOENIGG1_ilinx.gif

KOENIGG_Grind.gif
KOENIGG1_SmoothTurnis.gif

ESA1_grind.gif
ESA1_Redout.gif

Trailer:
Announcement: Here!
Launch Trailer: Here!

Reviews:
IGN italy: 8.9/10
Multiplayer.it: 8.0/10
Steam User rating: 93% Positive.
Metacritic: waiting for more reviews

Store links:
Steam (PC Windows/HTC Vive/Oculus Rift)

dugdug

Banned
Looks cool. Will definitely check it out sometime.

Pouring one out for my Wipeout homies, though.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Liking the tilt-shift look. Craft animations seem to be non-existant though which is a shame. But what else am I gonna get my futuristic racer fix from? Knock-offs it is. At least this one gets the visuals right.

Drencrom

Hell yes! This looks like a F-Zero/WipEout style game I can get behind!

Nasty speed + tight controls + great and stylish graphics + heart pumping soundtrack = INSTA BUY

Lunar15

Love the art design, slick aesthetic.That said, I can't tell if this is more WipeOut or F-Zero. Huge difference between the two styles. I prefer F-Zero, never could get into WipeOut.

I'm willing to give it a shot either way, though.

Reese-015

Been following this for a while, looks so damn slick... Was a bit disappointed when they recently announced it to be Xbox One exclusive but at the same time it's cool that Xbone is getting some pretty cool deals recently. With Ori coming out, Elite coming to Xbox One and now Redout too...

I like the look of it though the movement seems a bit off in the trailer. Still early days, I'm sure. Also, must say I love that there are no weapons and hope it stays that way. Much more F-Zero than Wipeout, thankfully, as F-Zero is the vastly superior series.

adelante

I was pretty close to buying a second hand PS3 just to play WipeOut again, few racers comes close to giving you that feeling attained from mastering the higher speed classes in that game.

This will satisfy that need for the time being.

Gnilres

Damn, that looks so awesome.

A bit off-topic but for anyone with a Wii U only check out Fast Racing Neo since this doesn't appear to be coming.

Auctopus

That looks pretty cool.

If they nail the responsive controls and tone down that Unreal engine bloom a bit, they're on to a winner.

Ezalc

Tracks look pretty good but I agree with one poster this game needs some craft animations or something it looked really weird seeing it in motion. Like it was just sliding along the track and not actually driving on it.

My thirst for a new F-Zero though, maybe this will help it :c.

Dunan

Looks nice; this and that other ex-Wipeout-developers racing project have given me new faith in the futuristic racer genre. Can't wait to play them both.

I like the look of it though the movement seems a bit off in the trailer. Still early days, I'm sure. Also, must say I love that there are no weapons and hope it stays that way. Much more F-Zero than Wipeout, thankfully, as F-Zero is the vastly superior series.

I think quite a few people would disagree with that and weapons can always be turned off, I've had plenty of races in Wipeout HD with no weapons, just speed ups. Having the option for both is good.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Looks great, needs online though, where am I gonna find 3 other people to play it with locally? I don't think I've met anyone other than my two brothers who even played F-Zero.

Top Bottom