• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo takes down videos of TAS, rom-hacked games on Nicovideo

xk0sm0sx

Source: http://ch.nicovideo.jp/19-885/blomaga/ar749962 (A random blog)

So remember back then when Nintendo said they will endorse certain aspects of fan work regarding their games (Let's Plays, Game Music Covers, and Fan Art).
I guess they really mean that and has now taken action to remove things that fell outside that scope. As you can see, many videos involving TAS (Tool Assisted Speedrun), romhacked Super Mario World had been taken down.

In the example in the blog, the shown TASed game videos taken down were:
Mario Kart Advance
Legend of Zelda : Majora's Mask
Made In Wario
Doctor Mario
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Kirby Deluxe
Edited SMW (Dat infamous one)

Why, Nintendo, just why... TAS videos are so harmless.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Why, Nintendo, just why... TAS videos are so harmless.

Oh I think you know why...

M9CTnau.jpg

Yeah it suck but it seems pretty straightforward why they would do something like that. Any other IP holder would do the same thing.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
"Endorse" is an extremely nice way of putting how they are treating the fan community with their ridiculously lopsided deals.

bjork

You're stealing sales of Mario Maker or some such idea like that. Someone in an office somewhere said so.

I wasn't clear enough I suppose, I meant that in the structure that Nintendo set up to monetize people who do derivative work any other company would do the same thing. I'm not saying other companies wouldn't let this pass with no system in place like Nintendo has but if you do set up a system like this you need to enforce the rules to make it fair to everyone.

Cyd0nia

Banned
What the hell is TAS?

Could clamping down on romhacks be because they're preparing user editing games like Mario Maker?

What the hell is TAS?

Could clamping down on romhacks be because they're preparing user editing games like Mario Maker?

Tool Assisted run
Programs modders will run to do things like inspect memory while actions are taken in the game, provide the game with inputs beyond a persons ability to do so manually, etc.
It adds a layer of automation that helps people really dig into the root of a game's function, and then help them break it further.

Blobbers

Why is Nintendo fucking so much with people who like playing their games?
Nintendo, STOP please. It's not the children who are wrong, it's you.

kswiston

Tool Assisted run
Programs modders will run to do things like inspect memory while actions are taken in the game, provide the game with inputs beyond a persons ability to do so manually, etc.
It adds a layer of automation that helps people really dig into the root of a game's function, and then help them break it further.

Having zero interest in following the speed-running scene at all, I have never really heard of this before. Is this how people record those videos of beating Super Mario Bros in 8 minutes while getting 100 lives?

for a company that has "vaults of cash" they really need to hire a team that handles social media stuff. Their current team if they have one is doing an awful job.

Haunted

Fuck them.

for a company that has "vaults of cash" they really need to hire a team that handles social media stuff. Their current team if they have one is doing an awful job.
I am 100% certain that Nintendo has capable ground-level people who know that these decisions are ultimately harmful to the image and the brand.

I am also 100% certain that these people have absolutely no power to stop this when the decision comes down from one of the higher ups.

Vena

Having zero interest in following the speed-running scene at all, I have never really heard of this before. Is this how people record those videos of beating Super Mario Bros in 8 minutes while getting 100 lives?

Depends, there are speedruns of games that are genuinely superfast or done in such ways as to effectively break the game without doing any sort of tampering with the game. AGDC, for instance, I believe, does everything raw with the games without modding them.

This is, of course, someone at Nintendo being stupid and backwards.

And yet, many IP holders do not do this.

Many other IP holders currently aren't doing the same thing.

You take the IPs Nintendo is known for away there is very little value left

if a company like that cares about how their IPs are used while others do not seem to mind so much it is not that hard to understand

Nintendo is trying to survive for the long term while many other companies come and go or their IPs fall out of rotation never to be used again

Nintendo is no fun this way but I can understand why they are being so anal about this

Overside

Banned
can notcomprehend this.

THis is like the same level of Nintendo going wayyyyyy out of their way to remove the sequence breaking from games like super metroid and metroid prime during localizations to other regions.

I literally imagine there is some old, super strict japanese dude, who runs around demanding 'You cant play those games that way!!!'

Bet hes behind this too.

Top Bottom