• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOLFENSTEIN: The Old Blood Retail in Europe (PC/PS4) May 15th

Physical editions of Wolfenstein: The Old Blood will arrive in Europe on May 15, Bethesda has announced. In Europe the physical editions will be available on PlayStation 4 and PC, while the game will be "digital-only" on Xbox One.

Bethesda also reiterated the game will be available to download in Europe starting May 5 on Xbox One and PC, and May 6 on PlayStation 4. The game will be priced £15/ €20.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/03/20/wolfenstein-the-old-blood-physical-release-dates-announced-for-europe

It looks like the game will cost the same as digital for the retail versions according to game

http://www.game.co.uk/en/wolfenstein-the-old-blood-519974?pageSize=40&searchTerm=wolfenstein&catGroupId=

Daeda

The release date is quite fitting, considering the Dutch and Danish celebrate Liberation Day (the digital release that is). Noting like celebrating the end of WWII while slaughtering some virtual Nazis

Huh. Guess that Bethesda thinks that European retail is strong enough to support a retail release of an expandalone, while simultaneously declaring the Xbone as weak in Europe.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I just have to ask. Why is the PC getting a physical copy of this game, and the Xbox One isn`t? It doesn`t make sense at all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just have to ask. Why is the PC getting a physical copy of this game, and the Xbox One isn`t? It doesn`t make sense at all.

Low X1 sales, probably. In some European markets the PC still has a sizable retail presence.

Chobel

PC retail is still a thing in many Europe countries, and in these countries, Xbox One is not performing that well.

Amazingly, Japan will be the only region getting the Xbox One version as a retail release.

This gotta be some kind of wrong listing... It just gotta be.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Low X1 sales, probably. In some European markets the PC still has a sizable retail presence.

Sure, but still doesn`t make sense. They will obviously sell more copies of the game on Xbox One by selling it as physical.

Xando

Sure, but still doesn`t make sense. They will obviously sell more copies of the game on Xbox One by selling it as physical.

Makes sense for Bethesda apparently. They have their data and maybe it's showing european XB1 owners are likely to download it. I can only talk about german retail stores but PC is massive here only rivaled by Playstation 4. XB1 and Wii U usually make out 4th and 5th place under them with 3ds coming in 3rd.

Presumably they didn't think they'd sell enough to make it worth the production costs.

Same thing happened with Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (which was hilarious at the time, given that the games Devs were citing the lack of Tomb Raider fans on Xbox around the same time RotTR was being announced as an XO exclussive).

KissVibes

Banned
I would imagine that Bethesda looked at the numbers and found that Xbox One owners in said regions are buying more games digitally and not physically, so a physical release isn't financially sound.

sam777

Is it because of Bethesda or MS that there is no physical edition on Xbox? Because I would prefer a physical edition.

I would imagine that Bethesda looked at the numbers and found that Xbox One owners in said regions are buying more games digitally and not physically, so a physical release isn't financially sound.

Possibly, but while it's rare to get digital sales figures, the little we have had hasn't shown a significant difference in physical vs digital buying habits for XO owners compared to PS4 owners, and the spotty broadband coverage that has contributed to the lack of PC digital dominance would apply just as much to consoles.

I still think that, when you take into account the EU as a whole, given that the XO is really only selling anything worth a damn in the UK, most likely the tiny audience means the manufacturing, localised packaging and distribution costs simply were too high for the expected revenue such a run would generate.

Gangxxter

Wow, the add-on releases so soon? I still need to finish the main game.
Whatever, I'll definitely get that add-on.

Withnail

Its not that hard to see the thinking

NA: highest adoption of digital distribution, no physical format required.

Japan: lowest adoption of digital distribution, physical on all formats.

EU is somewhere in the middle, but if you exclude UK it's closer to Japan. However physical is more difficult in EU because of distribution etc which makes an XO version not worth it for small userbase.

Shame it does not release this month but 4 days prior to the release of The Witcher 3. That probably means I'll be buying this expansion in September.

Occam

In case anyone knows: I have a US retail copy of Wolfenstein the New Order; will it be a problem if I buy a physical copy of the expansion in Europe? Is there anything that carries over from New Order?

In case anyone knows: I have a US retail copy of Wolfenstein the New Order; will it be a problem if I buy a physical copy of the expansion in Europe? Is there anything that carries over from New Order?

I believe its complete standalone from new order

Carnby

Which region version should I import? Was anything censored in the EU or JPN versions of The New Order?

Will purchase from the Russian store even though the exchange rate isn't as good as it once was (£16 digital content for £7-ish) its still under a tenner.

Top Bottom