• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, I have a serious video game anxiety problem

antibolo

Banned
Alright, where to begin...

Back in September 2012 I discovered the then-new game Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f for the Vita. I was already somewhat into rhythm games, and after trying out the demo I instantly fell in love with the game, and imported it on the very next day. Since then I've also got the PS3 version, and then imported the sequel on both platforms the following year, and then quadruple-dipped the game when it got localized, without hesitation. I even became a Hatsune Miku fan in the process, now owning several related merchandise and stuff. Hell, even my current avatar is proof of it.

I always played the game very casually, never pushing myself and never caring about scores. I didn't want to frustrate myself, so I only very rarely played the highest difficulty, and I never took the time to train myself on how to play on a high level. I participated in threads where people were posting their crazy achievements and it didn't affect me at all. I simply didn't care! I was having fun, and that's all that matters, doesn't it?

And then this past January, something happened. I'm not going to go into any detail about exactly what it is, because I don't want to blame anyone but myself for my problem. Anyway, all that matters is that it changed my mindset, in a dramatic way.

I suddenly became self-conscious about my skill level.

It drove me into a nervous breakdown. After more than two years of not caring about skill, I suddenly realized how little progress I had made after all this time. I felt like total, utter shit. I'm already struggling with self-esteem issues on a regular basis, and this sudden realization just crushed me from the inside.

So after picking myself up, I told myself "let's git gud, then", rolled up my sleeves, and started working on it.

Did I make any progress? Yes, I did. But it's never enough. I feel like I have two years of work to catch up on, which is completely unrealistic and pushes me to frustration and exhaustion, but I can't stop obsessing about it.

Over the past three months, playing the game has been nothing but an unpleasant chore to me. I've screamed and cursed at the screen countless times, like an angry 12 year old playing Call of Duty. I even went as far as throwing my PS3 controller a few times, which is something that had previously never happened to me as an adult. (My controller somehow still works fine, BTW. Good job Sony.)

I know I should stop playing the game. But I can't. I just can't give up, because then I would only consider myself a loser who has given up, and further destroy my self-confidence. Yeah, I know, it's just a stupid video game so why should it matter so much? But it does. I'm just too emotionally invested so far. I tried taking breaks multiple times, but I always break down after a few days and start playing again, because I can't stop thinking about it.

This past weekend I gave myself the goal of clearing this particularly difficult song that I had yet to beat. I obsessively played the game for almost the entire weekend, discarding everything else. But in the end I didn't even succeed. I came close a bunch of times but never quite reached the passing score, which was soul crushing. This morning I just called sick, because I feel so messed up about it that I can't go to work today.

I should probably seek psychiatric help. But I feel extremely embarrassed talking about it. I haven't mentioned it to any family member yet because I fear that they would not understand. I briefly talked about it to some of my friends but I didn't want to annoy them with it so I didn't push too much. They told me to stop worrying about it, which is of course what I should do, but I wouldn't be going through all this if I could.

I don't really know what to do now.

Oppo

This is the part where we insist that you go into detail about the obviously important bit you left out

DKHustlin

lol you need to relax and play for fun. getting good to get good and try and catch up to others is not worth it. do it for yourself

sexyelder

You could, u know, take the game and smash it apart then burn it in a fire feeding off the corpses of goat sacrifices? Or if u downloaded u could, u know, uninstall it?

maxcriden

I'm really sorry to hear it. I've been there to some extent myself. Please consider seeking some counseling. Please do not listen to any replies saying this isn't a real problem or minimizing the issue; it's real for you and it's affecting you and that's what matters. See your doctor or call your insurance; one of those avenues should be able to help you find some counseling or other treatment. Good luck, and in the meantime, if possible, try to focus on other things that make you happy.

clockpunk

Honest advice: step back, and resume your initial level of interaction, and enjoy the game for the experience you like. :)

I'm really sorry to hear that. It is part of the whole online persona thing. Just like on Facebook you curate your life, you post about your highs and ignore the lows. It ends up making some people feel inadequate, uncomfortable sharing or participating entirely.

I've definitely been there with StarCraft II, I stopped playing that game. I don't really have much to suggest but enjoying your game in private- don't participate in the discussion online or compare yourself to others.

It probably is worth seeking some help if it is affecting your life. I'm not a professional but you could have some sort of deeper problem that is manifesting itself through the game. Don't feel like the game is the only cause, it might be something else in your life and the game just highlights it.

I know I should stop playing the game. But I can't. I just can't give up, because then I would only consider myself a loser who has given up, and further destroy my self-confidence. Yeah, I know, it's just a stupid video game so why should it matter so much? But it does. I'm just too emotionally invested so far. I tried taking breaks multiple times, but I always break down after a few days and start playing again, because I can't stop thinking about it...

there's something missing in your life. this game is only a feeble replacement for it, & you're asking it to function in a way it was never intended to...

i suggest you try to figure out what's missing...

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
You need to seek professional psychiatric help immediately. And I don't mean that as an insult or snarky comment, you've got some severe underlying issues that need to be resolved so you can move forward in your life.

And put that game away.

bjork

This is the part where we insist that you go into detail about the obviously important bit you left out

Really, without this to go on, all anyone can say is "take a break and try to just enjoy things." For whatever that's worth.

Mitch

Banned
I took a break from gaming altogether because I couldn't go one day without mistreating my peripherals due to getting so worked up. Actually ended up breaking my original DS3 controller.

Find something else to do for a while.

I've seen you talk about this in the Miku and PSN threads before and always thought your attitude towards the game was problematic. It's good that you are understanding that is is a problem, I would recommend looking for help. Looking for psychiatric help is nothing to get emberassed about, these people are professionals who hear much worse things every day. I speak from experience. Just talking to someone can help a lot, it doesn't mean that you're a crazy person. Sometimes deciding that you can solve a problem by yourself is just not the correct approach.

I don't think people can tell you anything that wasn't already said in the threads I mentioned and it seems they didn't change anything about your obsession. Disregard the stupid drive-by replays of some other people in this thread.

Have you considered getting a referal from your family doctor? Sounds like you're projecting issues that you have into the game. Nothing wrong with seeking help, all of us do it at some point.

big_z

you cant have sex with Hatsune Miku. even if you could your penis will look like the picture below. polygons are sharp.

hotdogoctopus4.jpg

Hatsune Miku is not real so you aren't disappointing anyone but yourself. Its never good to obsess over any one thing, youll go crazy. You gotta set her free and in return you'll be free yourself.

BibiMaghoo

You need to accept that you are not the best or greatest at this game. I'll tell you a little story about how I stopped caring about how good I do in games.

It starts with a game called CS:GO, and ends with it.

I used to be concerned about my online gaming skills. It used to bother me when I was low on the score board, embarrassed even. Then I started playing only competitive CS:GO, and I am terrible. I have 722 hours - 99% comp - and I am Silver 4. Almost every game I play alone, I get a vote to be kicked, or actually kicked, so I tend to play with at least one other. I still score low, most games last, and I have ceased to give a single fuck. I enjoy it even. People make a running joke of my scores. I have had BOTH teams in comp cheering me on to get a single kill before the games end, and it was magical. Learn to accept the fun in losing OP, because the only pressure that exists to do well, truly, is the pressure you put upon yourself.

You will enjoy your games, and your life, much more if you remove this unrequired and self imposed pressure to do well at something that is utterly irrelevant to your life. Try it. Look for the fun in losing. It exists.

Dude, I sorta have a similar problem but...not really. I was playing Tomb Raider 2013 and I just thought if I thought it was fun or not. I couldn't decide. I kept thinking and thinking and I didn't even know what was "fun" to me. I started like going crazy and thinking if games were even worth my time if I didn't know what was fun or not. I still don't know what the hell happened.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If you stop playing you're not a loser who's giving up, you're someone who has come to their senses. People stop doing things all the time

This...may or may not be entirely helpful

bjork

I'm not sure I know what you mean.

I'm saying it's hard for anyone to give you anything beyond very vague encouragement without knowing specifics. But as others have said in here, talking to someone who can give you some sort of guidance is probably the best course of action. No idea if anyone on here is qualified for that or not, though.

NateGrigs

I'm really sorry to hear it. I've been there to some extent myself. Please consider seeking some counseling. Please do not listen to any replies saying this isn't a real problem or minimizing the issue; it's real for you and it's affecting you and that's what matters. See your doctor or call your insurance; one of those avenues should be able to help you find some counseling or other treatment. Good luck, and in the meantime, if possible, try to focus on other things that make you happy.

^This. Your obsession with this game is likely due to another, more deeply rooted issue. You'll probably be much happier in the long run if you take care of the real issue now. You could also start by trying another hobby or game.....or go back to easy mode. Games are meant to be fun

GoaThief

You need professional help.
This.

Not being condescending or nasty, but please do so. I would ignore all other advice unless it's from a professional or someone acting on their instruction or behalf because it could make things much worse. Please don't be embarrassed either, it's really not a big deal for someone working in field no matter how mortified you may feel at first.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon. :)

ekim

Well... while it's great trying to get better skills regarding your hobby, you need to know when to take a break. I tried to play the second solo of Sultans Of Swing on my guitar for about one year completely with finger-picking only. It drove me nuts that I couldn't do it. Eventually I was good at playing even so, that other people said that it is really impressive but it wasn't good enough for me. I don't know exactly how and why but there was one moment where I stopped caring and was able to carry on.

petran79

Banned
you cant do much on a gamepad. You're torturing yourself.

Arent there specialized controllers for rhythm games? Beatmania had one. Or does the game not support it

Shiokazu

you know... have you asked yourself why does it feels so important to you? and why it should really matter?

dont call the doctors yet, ok? you're just playing it in a chaotic fashion, wont take you anywhere and will hurt.

you can keep living alright, and git gud at the game. you should just make a practice schedule. threat it as... i dont know, like martial arts. train everyday for about a hour and SHUT THE GAME DOWN. continuous practice will not help your overal performace that much, since thats not how our brain learns things, neither we teach reflexes to ourselves.

ask someone who plays a fighting game what they do to train, and try to do something like that to your game. there, your life goes back to there it should be and you can still get good at diva.

i hope it solves your problems.

I had a similar problem with Call of Duty 4, WaW and MW2.
I was failing college back then, had a drinking problem, a messi apartment, terrible relations with my family, every girl broke up with me and CoD was my refuge from that crap.

Then these things turned around for me and CoD has never had that draw ever again.
I only played to Lv. 30 in Ghosts and barely prestiged now in AW, I only play with friends I know IRL now.

I went to a counselor though and that really helped to identify my large issues, me playing CoD didn't even get mentioned too much.
Do the same, sth is messed up with your life if you get so crazy about any game.

Kozak

Banned
You need to remind yourself that its just a game and that you wouldn't be hindering yourself in any way by giving up on it.

At this point though sounds like you need a good professional to remind you of that.

chiliboy

How old are you OP?

I think you should speak to a therapist, don't be ashamed of yourself and just speak about everything that is bothering you. If you can fix your self esteem issues then you will be able to enjoy games for what they are - at least that is what I think and what I did to overcome problems I had with taking game performance to seriously.

Cowie

I should probably seek psychiatric help. But I feel extremely embarrassed talking about it. I haven't mentioned it to any family member yet because I fear that they would not understand. I briefly talked about it to some of my friends but I didn't want to annoy them with it so I didn't push too much. They told me to stop worrying about it, which is of course what I should do, but I wouldn't be going through all this if I could.

I don't really know what to do now.

This is the answer right here. I don't know what happened to you and you don't need to share that with us, but it's very clear from your description that it is having an immense impact on your day-to-day life and preventing you from enjoying things you love. The amount of importance you're placing on this game isn't healthy, and you're aware of that, but it sounds like you could use some help really solidifying it. I would highly recommend looking into therapy, personally.

You should seek professional help. You're using the game a replacement to solve something going on in your life that no game will be able to replace.

Arent there specialized controllers for rhythm games? Beatmania had one. Or does the game not support it

Do you really think using a different input device will help the OP?
Professional help is needed so he can escape whatever is affecting him.

Violet_0

Banned
I know I should stop playing the game. But I can't. I just can't give up, because then I would only consider myself a loser who has given up, and further destroy my self-confidence.

one could argue that investing your time in a more worthwhile and/or satisfying activity makes one less of a "loser" (just borrowing the term here for a moment) than obsessing over a rhythm game (or any videogame) to an unhealthy degree

I stop playing games when they stop being fun. That might be because they are too hard and frustrating or sometimes they are just boring. And even if I REALLY am invested and want to beat that challenge, I sometimes still quit because I know its a game and it's not that important. That happened with Metal Gear Rising. I was having fun with it, but that final boss I was just not getting. After two days of trying constantly and getting extremely pissed off I just sat back, ejected the game, put it in its case and placed it among my "finished" PS3 games. The reason why I can do this is because I have many other things in my life that I know are much more important than any game I play. If you have lost that in your life I would start fixing that first and soon you will gain perspective on how games are just a fun hobby and not the focus of life.

WITHE1982

It does seem like you have some OCD and self esteem issues OP. Obviously the first thing is to try and get yourself to a therapist. Just talking about these feelings with a professional can be a massive, massive help.

I know it can be hard when obsessing over a particular game. I've done it myself but not to the degree you're describing. I highly recommend that you stop playing the game altogether as it's obviously having a detrimental effect on your mental health. Try and play other games and you'll soon find your mood vastly improves.

Do you have any close friends or relatives you can talk to about your problems OP?

edit: Never ever be embarrassed to seek out help from a professional. I know lots of people who I thought were emotional rocks that have had years of therapy. Even the best of us need a little help from time to time. It's not a weakness to sort out your emotional issues. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't benefit from talking out their problems with someone and getting some good advice.

I can't play many score-based games with "milestones" for similar reasons. Take Super Meat Boy, for example. I love the game and the mechanics. It's wonderfully designed and handles like a dream. But I can't play it any further than the first world due to the fact that I push myself to A+ every level. When I can't, I get frustrated and the game becomes a chore that I hate rather than love.

I can do fine on games with more arbitrary scores or that don't have thresholds you have to meet to get gold / three stars / A+ / whatever. But playing games that solely revolve around those mechanics just makes me crazy.

So, the fact you've opened up about the issues is a good step.

The game is probably just something to deflect the real issue, there's going to be something underlying that is causing the issues.

Speak to someone, there's no shame or embarassment from speaking to someone in a professional context, they'll be able to tell you what is wrong and, more importantly, how to approach it.

Honestly, your mental health is important, it's your entire wellbeing. Don't write this off as annoyance at a game.

big_z

its a controller game and trying to improve his play isn't really going to solve his problem. hes obsessing over something for a reason he hasn't shared but needs to with someone so he can fix his shit and move on.

I kinda wonder if his fascination with Hatsune Miku is because he traumatised after being dumped, fell for miku and feels like he's not good enough for her either if he cant help her clear her songs.

Steel

Banned
People who care about skill level have fun getting better. Becoming more skilled at a game is a part of a fun, not something that should cause you self-confidence issues. For you it seems to cause nothing but stress and that's simply not healthy.

My suggestion is either:

A) Quit videogames for a bit. Cleanse your pallette and come in with a fresh mind after doing other things for awhile.

B) Play a musou. They're easy to master and might give you a self-esteem boost.

Kilau

Gold Member
you cant have sex with Hatsune Miku. even if you could your penis will look like the picture below. polygons are sharp.

hotdogoctopus4.jpg

Hatsune Miku is not real so you aren't disappointing anyone but yourself. Its never good to obsess over any one thing, youll go crazy. You gotta set her free and in return you'll be free yourself.

Uh...sorry OP, try to not care about others...ahhh i'm out.

Top Bottom