• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canceled Games "leaked" or "preserved" thanks to the web

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
ibd3atfXvQRsWc.gif

Cancelled Bizzare Creations Prototype

That needs to be the next Driveclub!

Dinosaur Planet (N64) has to be one of the cancelled games (well kinda cancelled - actually was taken to Gamecube and changed into Starfox Adventures) that has fascinated me most. There is so much info but nobody will ever get really get to play it in it's true form.

These kind of forever lost games fascinate me.

Borman

Dinosaur Planet (N64) has to be one of the cancelled games (well kinda cancelled - actually was taken to Gamecube and changed into Starfox Adventures) that has fascinated me most. There is so much info but nobody will ever get really get to play it in it's true form.

These kind of forever lost games fascinate me.

I dont think this game qualifies as one that will be lost forever :p

Trogdor1123

I thought I read a number of years ago that there was the followup to secret of mana was almost translated but it was stopped due sales or something. I could be totally wrong though, maybe I was thinking of a fan translation. Would that count?

lazygecko

Still blown away they cancelled Star Fox 2.

Yes it was late in the system's life but it was freaking 99% complete.

It was something about wanting to mark a clear distinction of the generational gap between the SNES and N64. The advanced visuals of Star Fox 2 was percieved to have some kind of mitgating effect on the impact the N64 would have. Pretty dumb to cancel a basically finished game over that, yeah, but I can see the big picture of the reasoning.

Jackpot

Banned

Borman

I don't really consider game preserved if it's in the hands of a private collector.

Like how fansites scoured the web for every tidbit of info about RE1.5 but was still no substitute for the real thing being made public.

Then you don't know me. Just because piracy is one of the few methods now, it won't be forever, and does have the potential for doing harm.

A-V-B

Princess Maker 2

English version wasn't officially released, but you can find it on abandonware sites. It was pretty much done.

I miss the hell out of that game. So much fun.

Long Live the Queen kinda rekindled the flame, but it was more of a visual novel than an RPG/simulation.

Harlequin

I'm still holding out hope that someone's going to leak Core Design's Tomb Raider: Anniversary Edition one day. I just need it so bad :(.

Cancelled Bizzare Creations Prototype

I never understood why activision closed them. It isn't like racing games fell off the face of the earth. The most obvious answer was to merge Blur with a skylander type game. Imagine instead of skylanders, you bought highly detailed cars to place on a pad and race them in game? It seemed like a natural.

Wozman23

I keep hoping that someday we'll see what Sony Santa Monica was working on. PS4 first party has been anemic so far. Maybe it could have been released in that void left by the Uncharted delay.

Tiny Toon Adventures: Defenders of the Universe

A Tiny Toons game for PS2, developed by Treasure, originally slated for release in 2001 but shelved forever for unknown reasons. A feature-complete and practically final build (aside from a few text errors) leaked onto the net years ago, however.

What happen is that Warners animation completely imploded in 2000 / 2001 and plans for a new Tiny Toons series was shelved. They tried to restart in 2003 to go along with Back in Action but it flopped. Apparently there are finished parts of episodes from 2001 and 2003 but they are buried in Warner's vaults. Without the show as a tie in, they decided it wasn't worth finishing and producing the game. These days, it might have made it to digital.

Blueingreen

I remember reading that Rockstar were going to do a Mods vs Rockers beat em up game set in 1960's Britain, think Quadrophenia crossed with The Warriors, I wonder why that got scrapped.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I never understood why activision closed them. It isn't like racing games fell off the face of the earth. The most obvious answer was to merge Blur with a skylander type game. Imagine instead of skylanders, you bought highly detailed cars to place on a pad and race them in game? It seemed like a natural.

From what I understand... bizarre was an out of control studio... had problems with both MS and Activision... can get away with that when you're successful...

Good mentions so far.

Mine's Gauntlet for the DS. Watch Double Fine's Devs Play episode to find out more about its history straight from the horse's mouth. This game was basically a finished product and then simply not officially released. Very sad for fans of the series. It even has functioning multiplayer, which the video also demonstrates!

378px-Gauntletds.JPG

GauntletDualScreen.png

Jackpot

Banned
Then you don't know me. Just because piracy is one of the few methods now, it won't be forever, and does have the potential for doing harm.

Media of a game on one site vs an iso populated on every download site known to man and in the hands of thousands of gamers. Which one's more likely to be lost over time?

B.C. (Xbox)

Oh there once was a time where I would stress about a canceled Peter Molyneux. A much more naive time filled with endless optimism. Believing that great games would come out if only evil publishers would let creative types have their way.

I doubt BC was ever close to finish but I wish a game like it would be put into development someday.

Top Bottom