• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KAROUS 3DS coming to Europe (eShop only)

Remember Karous: The Beast Of Re: Eden, shoot'em up by Klon released in Japan last January on 3DS, also in retail stores? It was a re-imagination of the DreamCast game by Milestone.

Well, it seems Circle Entertainment is picking this up for a European release, according to a PEGI certification popped up today:

Nyl1rmL.png

Circle Entertainment exclusively releases games on the eShop, so it'll likely be a digital title only. Here, some screenshots:

Here a trailer.

Metallix87

Oh, maybe this means there's hope for a North American release, as well! There's a lot of interesting 3DS titles still stuck in Japan, and I hope more of them come Westward soon.

wrowa

Isn't it possible to access the eShop of another PAL country by changing some 3DS settings? If so, then at least German people could buy the game anyway.

I think that's not possible more anymore since Nintendo introduced NNIDs on the 3DS (except if you still don't have an NNID attached to your system). :/

Takao

Banned
Oh, maybe this means there's hope for a North American release, as well! There's a lot of interesting 3DS titles still stuck in Japan, and I hope more of them come Westward soon.

Circle publishes globally, so if they're doing an English localization it's fair to say it's coming to NA.

Curious, i heard Sakura Flamingo Laboratory (the company who made those games after the Milestone shutdown) was closed a year ago, i wonder who is the owner of the IPs now.

I also read in a lot of Japanese sources that Karous on 3DS was bad... VERY bad, Kusoge of the Year material.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Curious, i heard Sakura Flamingo Laboratory (the company who made those games after the Milestone shutdown) was closed a year ago, i wonder who is the owner of the IPs now.

I also read in a lot of Japanese sources that Karous on 3DS was bad... VERY bad, Kusoge of the Year material.

When Milestone died, their assets were acquired by a company called KLON and the old STG team was resurrected under the SFL moniker. KLON closed SFL at the end of last year and the STG team disbanded but they presumably still own the rights to all the old Milestone stuff.

The games they put out as SDL (Karous Re:Eden, Radirgy de Gojaru, Illvelo Dillinjah, Sakura Flamingo Archives) all sucked, even by Milestone standards.

When Milestone died, their assets were acquired by a company called KLON and the old STG team was resurrected under the SFL moniker. KLON closed SFL at the end of last year and the STG team disbanded but they presumably still own the rights to all the old Milestone stuff.

The games they put out as SDL (Karous Re:Eden, Radirgy de Gojaru, Illvelo Dillinjah, Sakura Flamingo Archives) all sucked, even by Milestone standards.

What was wrong with Archives?

Metallix87

Wait, this version of Karous sucks?

@MUWANdo

Banned
What was wrong with Archives?

Lots of weird performance issues (Chaos Field is especially poor), no tate or other screen settings, no replays, SFX are completely fucked, leaderboards are glitchy, blah blah. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that KLON shipped it before it was done, it honestly plays like a beta.

Wait, this version of Karous sucks?

None of their 3DS games are ports, they're more like minigames loosely based on their namesakes. Illvelo 3DS is a sorta-compilation of the hidden screens from the original game, Radirgy 3DS is based on the fixed-screen minigame from Noah X360 and Karous 3DS is a collection of gimmicky challenge stages. They run like shit, they look bad, they're not exciting in the slightest.

If UFO aren't dead, maybe if Nintendo open Wii VC to 3rd-parties, then UFO can localize Milestone Shooting Collection 2 finally. They were doing Illvelo Wii, but canned it likely to do the 2nd collection, but never did it.

@MUWANdo covered it just above, but yeah, this game is incredibly lazy and feels more like nothing more than a tutorial that was broken up into chunks. It's not a normal shoot 'em up, but rather just a series of boring (often single-screen) objectives that can last a few seconds. "Destroy these enemies with melee attacks", "don't get hit", "don't destroy any enemies and let the timer run down" - that sort of thing. Over and over again.

Certainly doesn't help that it looks dreadful (plus no 3D support) and the frame rate is horrendous. Like, dropping to a slideshow with three enemies on-screen. The only thing Karous: The Beast of Re:Eden has going for it is the soundtrack, and even most of that is recycled from the older games.

This was one of the first games I picked up for my Japanese 3DS and I was so disappointed. :(

Top Bottom