• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Movie Gets Writer Jay Basu

In-demand Brit writer Jay Basu has closed a deal with Sony Pictures to write the feature adaptation of fanboy favorite video game Metal Gear Solid. The project is produced by Avi and Ari Arad and is being steered by production president Michael De Luca. Jordan Vogt-Roberts (The Kings Of Summer) is attached to direct.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/30/8317357/the-metal-gear-solid-movie-now-has-a-writer

1136478_SOT_2011_Jay_Basu.jpg

I really don't know what to think. I'm more excited for the Director than the Writer at this point.

Snap my neck if in the wrong forum.

I guess if any game has a chance of being a good movie, it's MGS, Resident Evil, and Mortal Kombat.

Mortal Kombat did it successfully, so maybe MGS can too?

I feel like it's important that they understand that the movie should start out as a super serious military movie and then mess with all your expectations just like the game does.

A lot of the goofier elements probably need to be cut out or de-emphasized. More sniper wolf fights with meryl bleeding out and less vulcan raven talking about pulling ears and using an aircraft mounted gun.

Actually how about NO vulcan raven.

I actually find it weird that they don't have David Hayter writing it.. he's got experience with action movie writing and is incredibly familiar with the source material..

In-demand Brit writer Jay Basu

Metal Gear Solid (announced)
2014 Monsters: Dark Continent
2012 The Dinosaur Project (co-writer)
2012 Fast Girls (screenplay)
2005 Song of Songs

In-demand

Shouldn't be too hard to write a script for MGS. All you need to do is copy and paste the script from the game and cut it up so I'll end up as a 2 and half hour movie, give Kojima bigger royalties, since were basically ripping off his game word for word, and your done.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kojima's gone...
Meaning Konami believes the movie could happen now.
Oh god...

cchum

Shouldn't be too hard to write a script for MGS. All you need to do is copy and paste the script from the game and cut it up so I'll end up as a 2 and half hour movie, give Kojima bigger royalties, since were basically ripping off the his game word for word, and your done.

Seriously cut Vulcan raven's speech and the history of war and genes and it would pretty much be done. Cyborg ninja needs some changing too though somehow.

The director's filmography tho

I wouldn't say it's all negative - other sources seem to be quite positive on his work, but he isn't quite well known yet. At 32 he's pretty young, could have even played the game when he was in his teens.

http://www.screendaily.com/features/stars-of-tomorrow/jay-basu/5029128.article

Universal also has him working on their classic monster movies which means something.
http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/jay-basu-recruited-universal-monsters-brain-trust/

Seriously cut Vulcan raven's speech and the history of war and genes and it would pretty much be done. Cyborg ninja needs some changing too though somehow.

The plot should follow this:

Breifing and launch of the one man SDV into shadow moses
Meeting with the DARPA chief
Shootout with meryl
Duel with Ocelot
Minefield and Deepthroat
fistfight with grey fox(perhaps he's half man half machine rather than totally cyborg)
Snake Finds Meryl in the women's restroom
Meryl used as bait by sniper wolf
Snake goes back to get a rifle, campbell voice over of his connection with meryl
Shootout with wolf
Capture and Torture
Escape from prison cell
Rex's storage facility and the PAL key
Fight with Metal Gear REX
Fight with Liquid
Escape
Naomi's confessions into credits.

The need to get someone like the writer of Syriana or something. Kind of make it like a movie like that. This movie will also likely never get made, and will end up like the Bioshock film project

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see how a film adaptation can work, MGS relies so much on player interaction and time to develop its characters. Cutting it down to 2 hours means it'll probably end up being a generic war movie about Snake being a generic perfect soldier.

Neoxon

Avi Arad as Producer = It's probably gonna suck.

Not surprising that Arad is looking for more franchises to ruin since he's now relegated to sitting in the corner for the Marvel Studios-Sony Spider-Man movie.

Every writer needs their make or break chance. This is his.

You do that by doing a good job on what you're given not having an unremarkable track record and then being given a holy grail of game movie opportunity.

The fucking VOICE of Solid Snake has written blockbuster screenplays that the producer of this movie has worked on.

It's a fucking obvious match made in heaven, like Patrick fucking Stewart as Professor fucking X. A MOVIE AVI ARAD FUCKING WORKED ON.

But nooooooooooooooo. You go and give it to this goober.

The plot should follow this:

Breifing and launch of the one man SDV into shadow moses
Meeting with the DARPA chief
Shootout with meryl
Duel with Ocelot
Minefield and Deepthroat
fistfight with grey fox(perhaps he's half man half machine rather than totally cyborg)
Snake Finds Meryl in the women's restroom
Meryl used as bait by sniper wolf
Snake goes back to get a rifle, campbell voice over of his connection with meryl
Shootout with wolf
Capture and Torture
Escape from prison cell
Rex's storage facility and the PAL key
Fight with Metal Gear REX
Fight with Liquid
Escape
Naomi's confessions into credits.

Why no Psycho Mantis?

You do that by doing a good job on what you're given not having an unremarkable track record and then being given a holy grail of game movie opportunity.

The fucking VOICE of Solid Snake has written blockbuster screenplays that the producer of this movie has worked on.

It's a fucking obvious match made in heaven, like Patrick fucking Stewart as Professor fucking X. A MOVIE AVI ARAD FUCKING WORKED ON.

But nooooooooooooooo. You go and give it to this goober.
I agree with this.

Watch. Just fucking watch. Ashley Wood won't do anything for this. No movie posters. No title cards. Nothing.

The talent that made MGS what it is today has nothing to do with this.

This will be like Tomb Raider, where the character had nothing to do with the game character. Completely changed origin. Made up adventures.

You might as well have just made up a fucking new name to use.

Fury451

Banned
I'm surprised they didn't let Uwe Boll step in now that Kojima has been removed from the guardian role.

I mean, maybe this guy knocks it out of the park, but....you know a tree by it's fruit and all that. This is some below average fruit going by imdb.

daveo42

Banned
Watch. Just fucking watch. Ashley Wood won't do anything for this. No movie posters. No title cards. Nothing.

The talent that made MGS what it is today has nothing to do with this.

This will be like Tomb Raider, where the character had nothing to do with the game character. Completely changed origin. Made up adventures.

You might as well have just made up a fucking new name to use.

NES-E2-USA-REV-A.jpg

Maddocks

Really seems like they only want the name and everything else will be new and made up story wise but only the character names will remain.

Fury451

Banned
Really seems like they only want the name and everything else will be new and made up story wise but only the character names will remain.

Ah, well thank goodness they chose Metal Gear for that instead of literally anything else they could've created on their own.

I mean, who's going to see movies like this? Fans. What do fans want? Faithfulness. Maybe not 100%, but at least the spirit of it (see Silent Hill). So who are these adaptations for if they're in name only?

Zaki2407

I don't know how to feel about MGS Movie. How do you make a story for 1,5 - 2 hours movie that can describe the whole MGS saga? Or, are they planing to make it into a trilogy? @_@

I don't know how to feel about MGS Movie. How do you make a story for 1,5 - 2 hours movie that can describe the whole MGS saga? Or, are they planing to make it into a trilogy? @_@

No one knows what game is being adapted or if it'll be a side story or even if it'll be canon.

Top Bottom