• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Turbo Atomic Rabbit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So something just came out of the rabbithole lately, and searching in GAF didn't yield any results.

Man, it's so great. Such a thrilling intro to what seems to be an obscure cartoon in the 80's... too bad all signs point that it's a hoax.

It could be a demo reel for animation students, or possibly a viral marketing. But all signs point for it to be fake. You can read the whole thing here, and /co/ even had some nice threads about it. With that in mind I take offense - magical girls aren't the only ones that go henshin!

Why are good things not meant to exist?

Boss Doggie

Apparently there are pics of fake merchandise and animation cels. I'm looking for them now.

vikki

When did people start using the term Mecha? It's commonplace now, but I don't remember hearing people use it before the late 90s.

Edit: okay, it's labeled as Mega, not mecha.

When did people start using the term Mecha? It's commonplace now, but I don't remember hearing people use it before the late 90s.

Edit: okay, it's labeled as Mega, not mecha.

Mecha Sonic was in Sonic & Knuckles; a 1994 release.

Though I'm sure 1980s anime used the term too.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I'm calling fake, though impressive.

Something about the style of the faces (especially the female character) looks too modern. At least they look very uncommon for something that's supposedly from the 80s.

Boss Doggie

Komo

Banned
A cartoon with anthro animal characters that don't look hideous?

Hell to the yes. I would watch more of this

Jme

Using custom time-frame search on google to limit anything from 1900 up until Feb 2015 (to filter out anything from March/April when this seems to have kicked off) yeilds a few results.

I found this forum post from November 2014, asking for info about this show. They link to This blogspot showing the animation cels. Supposedly uploaded in 2008 but this is easy to fake.

Also this (probably fake) December 2014 Ebay UK listing for a Lunchbox/Thermos set

And this forum post from Sep 2014

So, to me, it looks like this was someone working on this since Mid 2014, started viral marketing back in September to back-date their hoax.

PSqueak

Banned
It's the Thundercats intro with a rabbit.

The most thundercats thing about it is that bit that kinda pauses the intro animation showing an unrelated shot of the frog guy fiddling with a computer which mirrors exactly a similar misplaced shot of Panthro in the thundercats opening.

I thought it was a very sweet little nod.

I was hoping I wasn't the only one thinking this was a ThunderCats knock off. Also, the theme song reminded me of Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century.

shaowebb

I wouldn't use the word hoax for this. I'm almost certain I was on the creator's site and it was a demo reel inspired by older cartoons and was described as such by them in the comments.

Slayven

The themesong is a dead give away it is a tryhard replication. 80s themes actually went hard. This shit sounded like it was recorded in a bathroom. That and no unifying theme that could extend to toys.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Ok, well, yeah. It's fake. But.. Can he still make this because it looks awesome.

AMUSIX

Sorry, couldn't make it very far. Was just too clear that it wasn't anything that was made in the '80s and was trying so hard to act like it was. Overdid it on the theme song, overdid it on the animation, overdid it on the fake tracking issues. It's like when someone tries to do a fake '80s band.

Still fucking Awesome as hell.

Hope this gets taken up into an actual series, or at least a couple of episodes. the concept is just too damn good not to. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom