• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Small additions/details in games that increase your enjoyment by a lot

mazpratim

I was replaying Galaxy and remembered that I love it when Mario flies through the sky and you can see the whole level around you after getting shot out of a launch star.

Noobcraft

Functional odometers/dashboard clocks in cars like in Forza 5. It's cool seeing how many miles I've put on my favorite cars.
sun_mar_8_15-58-21_mdafsmt.png

Dr. Buni

Great music in games.

Xenoblade for example.
OP said small additions. Music isn't small at all, in fact it is as important or more than graphics.

Anyways, many small details in ORAS, like the Pokémon physically appearing in the tall grass, plus you can see some of them roaming (like Beautifly, Wingull), the fact NPCs recognize you as the champion after you beat the game, the Eon Flute... All of these things plus others made the game feel much more alive and thus increased my enjoyment with Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. Another thing that increases my enjoyment with games is characterization. Besides what I mentioned of ORAS, the fact many characters are further developed in the remakes (Brendan, Wally, the major Team Aqua members, etc) increased my enjoyment with the game as well.

The cloth physics in Bloodborne. The blood which is coating your character in the blood splatters that appear on the ground when you massacre an enemy.

And this here:

dollbow4ep23.gif

Lore.
I love reading codex in Bioware games and old cRPGs. I know that most people won't even bother with codex/lore, so I consider it as "small addition/details".

Xenoblade's area introduction cutscenes. They did a good job of showing enemies and environments that made you want to explore those locations.

randyll13

Neo Member
Being able to see your feet

Being able to look directly upwards (are you telling me I can't just bend backwards a little for better angle)

Melee attacks stopping upon hitting an enemy and transferring momentum

The last one has never been perfectly done so it's not really a small addition, but even making sure the sword doesn't clip into an enemy model is good enough for me.

Popping wolverines claws with the push of a button in xmen origins wolverine on 360, also the weapons folding up in mass effect

Nixie tubes.

ff7_escape_timer_zoom.png

ff7_elevator_digit7.png

Make no mistake, FF7's the reason I've loved this style of gas-based illumination when used for detail. They're also prominent in games like Wachenröder, so maybe their popularity with artists went hand in hand with pre-rendered visuals. I can always use more nixie tubes in games!

DOWN

Banned
Atmospheric noise beyond standard nature, especially humming machinery and electronics or soft sustained musical notes. Nature if they do some unusual wind and soft music, like Red Dead Redemption. Adds a ton for me.

Karak

True dangerous nights in Dragon's Dogma. Simply blew my mind.

All games.
Sound continuity for locations.
Music not announcing it is playing but adding to the scene.
Voice instead of text for any NPC interaction.

I'm currently playing Bloodborne. When I take an elevator down, the wind causes my clothing to float up. Such a great little touch.

Being able to talk to party members and having them respond with useful information about current events or nearby locations. Loved this is DQ5.

Windforce

Weapons' movement that leave a smooth, transparent trail. ie. SoulCalibur games.

Special dialogues between rival characters.

Characters' heads/eyes follow the enemy's so they are always looking at each other - aka Tekken, SFIV.

Good hair/clothes physics (can't wait for Uncharted 4 Nate's hair).

Hair/facial hair/body hair/body type options in character creations.

Skirt physics for female characters.

"Bikini armor", despite all hate it gets, I absolutely love it. Both my male and female characters fight as naked a possible.

Kas

The ability to shoot lights out. I loved that in Splinter Cell and I always try it in any FPS/TPS I play.

Dunkley

How the enviroment reacts to the gameplay in Ori And The Blind Forest.

tumblr_nl3ezbaDlR1sjbtwdo1_400.gif

In particular doing a ground pound or just leveling up (which makes Ori emit a shockwave) leave the entire forest shaking for a short bit, which looks really cool.

tkscz

All the visor effects in Metroid Prime, plus the incineration effect when using the charged plasma beam.

Top Bottom