• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N64 titles to be released on Wii U Virtual Console! (Including DK64!)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
mario64lag.gif

It looks like I push the button down by the 4th frame, but let's say 5th just to be safe. Mario doesn't jump until the 9th frame. This was recorded at 30fps, so each frame is 33ms. 4 frames of lag gives us 132ms of lag, or 0.132 seconds which is quite a bit. My monitor gave me the same result, as did the pro controller.

I wouldn't mind seeing video of someone saying they experience no lag, it would be interesting if people are actually getting different amounts of lag.
Can you try filming it again, but aim the camera so you can see both the TV picture and the mirrored GamePad. I'd be curious to see what the real lag is between button press, what you see on TV and what gets beamed to the GamePad.

I might try it myself tonight if I remember.

Dsyndrome

Only game I'd want released that hasn't been in some form digitally anywhere is Shadowgate 64, doubt that'll ever happen though.

Neff

Have you compared the behaviour to a genuine N64 and US SM64 cartridge? It might be the same.

It's not the same, I just tested my NTSC cart and console on my Philips 17ms LCD. After filming and making comparisons, I'd say I lose about 3-4 game frames between pressing a button and getting a response on the Wii U version, wheras with a real N64 I lose 1-2 frames.

Lag seems to vary from person to person, probably due to TVs. Personally I can play the Wii U version to a satisfactory level, it's just not quite as razor-edge precise as the cart + console.

Carlisle

It's not the same, I just tested my NTSC cart and console on my Philips 23ms LCD. After filming and making comparisons, I'd say I lose about 3-4 game frames between pressing a button and getting a response on the Wii U version, wheras with a real N64 I lose 1-2 frames.

Lag seems to vary from person to person, probably due to TVs. Personally I can play the Wii U version to a satisfactory level, it's just not quite as razor-edge precise as the cart + console.

Could the latency difference here be explained by the use a wired (N64) controller vs wireless (Wii U)?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
http://www.mrmonkeyman.com/images/mario64lag.gif[mg]

It looks like I push the button down by the 4th frame, but let's say 5th just to be safe. Mario doesn't jump until the 9th frame. This was recorded at 30fps, so each frame is 33ms. 4 frames of lag gives us 132ms of lag, or 0.132 seconds which is quite a bit. My monitor gave me the same result, as did the pro controller.

I wouldn't mind seeing video of someone saying they experience no lag, it would be interesting if people are actually getting different amounts of lag.[/QUOTE]

This is why I always laugh when people claim "it's lag free for me!" all the time.
There's always some lag, the great majority just don't notice it. But if you do, it sucks.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's not the same, I just tested my NTSC cart and console on my Philips 23ms LCD. After filming and making comparisons, I'd say I lose about 3-4 game frames between pressing a button and getting a response on the Wii U version, wheras with a real N64 I lose 1-2 frames.

I've got both hooked up to the TV. I will test later on.

Needham

Can you try filming it again, but aim the camera so you can see both the TV picture and the mirrored GamePad. I'd be curious to see what the real lag is between button press, what you see on TV and what gets beamed to the GamePad..

mario64lagboth.gif

This was the best angle I could get of both screens and the button press. My monitor actually has about 16ms less lag then the gamepad, as you can see by the ghosting on Mario in the images. It's an Asus VH236H which www.displaylag.com rates at 10ms of lag.

Looks like the button is fully pressed at frame 4 and Mario jumps at frame 8 on both screens, so still getting about 132ms of lag. Because I can only record at 30fps the results aren't super accurate and the actual lag could be anywhere from 115-150ms.

We could post pics to Miiverse!

I'd be all for that.

It's also one of the reasons I never understood why they didn't make a Pokemon Snap 2 for the Wii. The Wiimote would have been perfect for aiming shots. Same with Star Fox really.

They've fixed that Star Fox issue with the Wii U, so come on Nintendo and make Pokemon Snap 2 for Wii U! It could work like Fatal Frame!!!

I need more Pokemon Snap in my life...

mdsfx

http://www.mrmonkeyman.com/images/mario64lagboth.gif[img]

This was the best angle I could get of both screens and the button press. My monitor actually has about 16ms less lag then the gamepad, as you can see by the ghosting on Mario in the images. It's an Asus VH236H which [url]www.displaylag.com[/url] rates at 10ms of lag.

Looks like the button is fully pressed at frame 4 and Mario jumps at frame 8 on both screens, so still getting about 132ms of lag. Because I can only record at 30fps the results aren't super accurate and the actual lag could be anywhere from 115-150ms.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate you doing this because it's good for people to have real answers/data, but in my opinion, timing is not that critical in this game. This isn't street fighter or super meatboy where it might ruin the experience.

I appreciate you doing this because it's good for people to have real answers/data, but in my opinion, timing is not that critical in this game. This isn't street fighter or super meatboy where it might ruin the experience.

It doesn't really matter if timing is critical or not. Input lag sucks no matter what. Also, this most likely means that all N64 games will have this kind of input lag.

slammer

I need to compare it to my Jap Cart of Mario 64, but when I tried the Wii U version I initially had trouble doing triple jumps...it's still playable, but something doesn't feel right. I'm probably sensitive to the added input lag...

deleted

I noticed the lag too and it's pretty sad. I can finally play this in 60Hz and now I have to deal with lag... Then there is the DS version which is also pretty bad in terms of control and I don't like the new progression and item system.

Why won't let Nintendo let me play the best version of their games?

Edit: I just read the last page and it seems, like the issue is Pro Controller related? That sucks even more - I love to play with the Pro Controller... not so much with the gamepad for classic games.

Edit2: After playing, I also finally understand people that want the octagon back on the analog sticks... Felt so much better!

almost zero, but not as impossible as it was a few years ago.

Activision dropped the Bond license and Nintendo presumably had to make a deal with MS to put DK 64 up untouched.
Weren't there rumors a few years back that MS wanted a deal where Goldeneye would go on Virtual Console and an HD version on Xbox Live, but Nintendo rejected it?

My experience with the lag in Super Mario 64 was that with the pro-controller, it was really apparent, but much less so with the Gamepad. This is strange to me because that's not really the case for any other VC games I've played. I think lag was going to happen for sure because I've never played this game with a wireless controller until now (I always used a GCN pad with the Wii VC version). Fortunately, once I got use to the Gamepad's slight lag, it felt right again to me.

As far as N64 looks on Wii U, it seemed really sharp and clear, but Mario 64 was noticeably darker (as was the Wii VC version) than the original N64 cart. I'm still uncertain if this is up-rezzed to 1080p or not. Looks sharp, but does have jaggies (but so does Smash Bros in 1080). Anyone have a definitive answer to the resolution question?

Robin64

As far as N64 looks on Wii U, it seemed really sharp and clear, but Mario 64 was noticeably darker (as was the Wii VC version) than the original N64 cart. I'm still uncertain if this is up-rezzed to 1080p or not. Looks sharp, but does have jaggies (but so does Smash Bros in 1080). Anyone have a definitive answer to the resolution question?

It's no upressed, it's running at 480 but scaled exactly 2x to 960. That's part of why it looks so nice.

It's no upressed, it's running at 480 but scaled exactly 2x to 960. That's part of why it looks so nice.

Ah, okay then. 1080 would've been nice, but the fact that I couldn't even really tell means it doesn't matter too much. I like the look as it is, and I especially like that it's the proper ratio on Wii U (more rectangular than square as it is in the Wii version).

How are the lag-people's WiiU connected to the TV?

WiiU directly to TV (via HDMi)
or
WiiU -> reciever -> TV (all via HDMi) to get true surround sound

(my friend came up with the idea that the lag could be the result of longer connection ways and/or "shitty" and/or outdated recievers)

sidenote: I tested SM64 WiiU with all kinds of controllers and I encountered zero lag. and I'm VERY sensitive to lag.

I experience zero lag with the Pro Controller, but there's a slight delay on the GamePad. Nothing major. It's interesting how it seems to vary from person to person.

or

(my friend came up with the idea that the lag could be the result of longer connection ways and/or "shitty" and/or outdated recievers)

sidenote: I tested SM64 WiiU with all kinds of controllers and I encountered zero lag. and I'm VERY sensitive to lag.

Mine is hooked up to a receiver, but it's using a "game" mode for passing through the video signal. It's theoretically just passing the video through as if it was one cable. Of course, I'm not one of the folks who finds the game unplayable because I'm experiencing major lag. It feels about the same to me as NES, and SNES VC games, which is very minor.

almost zero, but not as impossible as it was a few years ago.

Activision dropped the Bond license and Nintendo presumably had to make a deal with MS to put DK 64 up untouched.

If there's money to made, there's always a chance. Nintendo may see the potential to get GE64 on the VC and feel the licensing and MS/Rare partnership is worth it.

deleted

or

It goes through a receiver in game mode to the TV in game mode. I get only very, very little lag where I notice it (SSBWiiU, MK, NSMBWiiU etc) and it's noticeably more with the N64 version of Mario 64. It's right at the edge of feeling slidy.

Rich!

Apparently there is lag from Gamepad to TV.
I got a DK64 cart, so may get a RGB cable.

That's no good unless your N64 is RGB modded. Only a select portion of French and USA black N64 models can be RGB modded.

The best otherwise is an S Video cable.

linkboy

I just switched my TV over to game mode and the game is much, much more responsive with my pro Controller.

I've been having issues with the Penguin race, just beat it and it was much, much smoother.

I'm happy.

KHlover

Banned
Why anyone would ever want to play anything but the 3DS version again is beyond me.
Nostalgia might be a reason, but other than that I also don't see any reason to play the N64 version ever again. Gyro aiming, giving the Ocarina its own item button and adding item button I&II on the touchscreen pushed the 3DS version right past the original. Same with Wind Waker HD and Majora's Mask 3D, god-tier remasters/makes.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I'd play the original N64 release with the islamic chants and Ganon's red blood, but that's the only way I'd play the N64 over the 3DS version.

Good luck on getting Nintendo to release that out of the vault, though the islamic chants fits the goron temple better.

Red Devil

I own and have played Super Mario 64 hundreds of times on N64, played it a few times on Wii and now got it on Wii U, I don't really notice the input lag, but like on the Wii version I notice the stick feeling more sensitive than on the N64.

Imagine Conker made it, and Banjo-Kazooie as well :3

It's better to not hope on such. :(

Oh well at least I still have my old N64 with Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie carts.

Gartooth

Getting Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Diddy Kong Racing (N64 original) on VC would be fantastic. I'd like Conker and Perfect Dark as well, but I doubt Nintendo would be as keen about those two. (Miiverse for Conker would be amazing though. :p)

Red Devil

Getting Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Diddy Kong Racing (N64 original) on VC would be fantastic. I'd like Conker and Perfect Dark as well, but I doubt Nintendo would be as keen about those two. (Miiverse for Conker would be amazing though. :p)

Do you mean having screenshots disabled after a few hours like with the AVGN game?

Top Bottom