• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Degeneration X or NWO, which group was bigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimawolf

So the 90s and early 2000s, were an amazing time in wresting, Stone Cold, silk shirt Rock and the Nation, Goldberg the original beast, Taker, and of course Dx and NWO. but my question is, between the two, which group was bigger? DX or NWO?

DX had Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Chyna, X pac, and New Age Outlaws. They were known basically, for well, doing whatever the fuck they wanted, in a juvenile, goofy way.

NWO was half the WCW roster at one point, if you count NWO wolf pac, nwo green nwo red or whatever. but the Original NWO was Hollywood Hulk, Hall, Nash, Xpac again, Dennis Rodman lol, Bishoff, big Poppa pump. they were brutal and basically participated in the biggest and most shocking heel turn in wrestling, Hulk Hogan going evil.

So which group were more popular GAF? Dx or NWO? and which did you prefer?

Me, I was NWO all the way, I loved those guys, and I LOVED Hogans hollywood persona, was absolutely brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_itzww0XTo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoybUP5bSBo

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
in size, nwo. it seemed everyone was apart of the new world order at one time. and with mooks like buff bagwell, it tainted the brand

in popularity, im gonna gonna have to go with dx. shawn and mr. H kept the tank rolling for years.

...i think ive made this post before

Kama_1082

Banned
When you're nWo, you're nWo 4 LIFE.

2 SWEEEEEEEEET

nWo was way better because it was a group stacked with stars, unlike DX which was 2 stars and a some fucking jobbers

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
DX was nowhere close to NWO's popularity.

Austin/McMahon was the only thing WWF had that compared to the NWO angle.

Loved that era of wrestling. I watched both WWE and WCW during those days. In size, NWO was definitely bigger, but as above, I do feel that DX was more popular.

Me? I too, prefer DX to NWO. NWO angle gets old really fast. Week in, week out...same damn thing. NWO gangs up on everyone.

WWE would have survived without DX.

WCW would not have even come close to killing the WWE, much less challenge it in the Monday Night Wars, without the NWO.

Every WCW star wanted to be in the NWO. They were big enough to have their own pay per view, they crossed over to an audience that didn't even watch wrestling.

The NWO vs. Stone Cold (or the Rock), now that's a real contest.

PsychBat!

Banned
3084900463_ff4e8d99eb.jpg

Parallax

The NWO took over a promotion and carried the greatest wrestling angle of all time. Damn near crippled WWF. Peoples still wear the shirts.

DX was pretty good. But this a no contest.

This is a terrible opinion.

this i agree with. the finger poke of doom confused everyone

FyreWulff

As a brand, nWo was bigger. It will be remembered forever, and constantly parodied. I don't think there has been a single promotion that hasn't had a stable that parodied or referenced the nWo directly. Even the WWF did!

DX really hasn't enjoyed that. It was pretty much extra merch sales for HBK.

nWo's biggest flaw is that it was booked to last waaay too fucking long, overstayed it's welcome, and never evolved storyline wise. When your stable is big enough you can field entire promotions with your members and have an obvious A and B team, your booker sucks.

NEW NEW NEW WORLD ORDER

Most fun period of time I ever hard while watching wrestling. Keep chasing that high and due to the Internet and modern times in general, it can't be repeated.

Balphon

NWO at the time, maybe DX over the long term (though that isn't exactly fair). NWO became a parody of itself at some point.

Parallax

NWO at the time, maybe DX over the long term (though that isn't exactly fair). NWO became a parody of itself at some point.

when it began to collapse under its own weight. nWo could have used some major streamling

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
DX was just another group. One of the most successful, but just a blip. The Austin McMahon is bigger... they are still riding what that train started.

NWO made the Monday Night Wars and kicked off what WWF would become anyways.

Speevy

Banned
Imagine if you will you were banking your entire company's future on one stable of wrestlers, and it not only worked, but it nearly destroyed your competition.

That was the nWo.

The revival of the WWF needed Austin, The Rock, DX, Kane, Undertaker, sex, cursing, etc.

Kama_1082

Banned
NEW NEW NEW WORLD ORDER

Most fun period of time I ever hard while watching wrestling. Keep chasing that high and due to the Internet and modern times in general, it can't be repeated.

I still remember my dad picking me up from wrestling practice as a freshman in high school to watch Monday Nitro and Sting came down from the rafters. My dad hated wrestling, but I'll always appreciate him taking one for the team to make me happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTWbleF5wTI

Entropia

No One Remembers
Number wise, nWo was huge! I think everyone in WCW at the end of its life was in nWo at one point :lol

The NWO was bigger and had a much better Genesis. Hulk Hogan's heel turn was one for the history books. The problem was it got so popular so fast, WCW had no ideal where to take it and what to do with it. Do it got boring pretty quickly.

DX was just funnier and more entertaining for a longer period of time.

Nekofrog

Banned
If you listen to the current propaganda put out by the WWE, DX was more "important".

Except anyone who lived through the MNW knows that the nWo blew them out of the water.

Speevy

Banned
I'd say the nWo could have stayed popular if its stars had been 10 years younger, but then they wouldn't have had the built in star power that came with jumping ship.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Weird that this is even a debate. NWO were massive, much bigger than DX, no matter how much McMahon tries to spin it today.

Speevy

Banned
I wasn't a big DX follower, but I don't think Degeneration X even had the same goal as the nWo.

The nWo wanted to destroy WCW by interrupting matches, causing anarchy, etc.

DX was just a bunch of badasses that hated the establishment, but did they really do anything about it?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
nWo was MUCH bigger than DX and FAR more important to the history of professional wrestling.

nWo by far.

Sting vs the nWo in 1997 was easily the greatest pro wrestling storyline of all time, until they fucked up everything at Starrcade.

Parallax

I wasn't a big DX follower, but I don't think Degeneration X even had the same goal as the nWo.

The nWo wanted to destroy WCW by interrupting matches, causing anarchy, etc.

DX was just a bunch of badasses that hated the establishment, but did they really do anything about it?

yeah. become the establishment

Kusagari

NWO by miles.

Hell, the storyline setting up their perceived downfall is arguably the biggest in the history of wrestling.

Which of course WCW fucked up horribly.

GolazoDan

NWO easily. NWO was basically the identity of one side in the Monday Night Wars. DX was part of an ensemble cast on the other side, and even then they were outshined by numerous others.

The NWO brand was tainted after like two years but tbh so was DX. The WWF just had a lot of other stuff going on to take its place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom