• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grizzled, punished, bearded protagonists

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
holytrinityl1x35.png

- brooding
- grizzled
- punished, haunted by the past
- stylish left eye scar
- talks like bale batman
- short, mildly unkempt facial hair
- semi-receding hairline
- play by their own rules, problem with authority
- bad relationships
- final mission to right wrongs

is this the true power of next generation video games???

are there / will there be more??

Boney

Banned
it's just white power fantasy with a tint of homoeroticism. No different to stuff like He-man back in the day. Although I do suppose it's become more homogeneous this past years.

Love the radioactive sign you made though

Dez_

Are bald space marines no longer popular anymore? :p

That said, I don't really mind the grizzled, bearded protags.

- brooding
- grizzled
- stylish left eye scar
- talks like bale batman
- semi-receding hairline
- bad relationships

Sounds like an angsty adolescent power fantasy.

Toxi

Banned
The bald space marine grew a beard and stopped shaving his head.

Also became all angsty and broody because DEEP.

BBboy20

I'll admit, I went holy shit with a chuckle when I first saw the image and noticed the scaring, I mean, those 3 characters have been around for a while but to be part of a new prism of white, male protagonist...

Lime

And this has nothing to do with next generation. This tired, risk-averse bullshit has been going on for years. You're ten years late. Because video game developers and publishers are unimaginative as fuck and seem to think their audience can only relate or be appealed to if its a white grizzled dude with a troubled past.

Again, this is nothing new.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
And this has nothing to do with next generation. This tired, risk-averse bullshit has been going on for years. You're ten years late. Because video game developers and publishers are unimaginative as fuck and seem to think their audience can only relate or be appealed to if its a white grizzled dude with a troubled past.

Again, this is nothing new.

Joke thread duder.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I haven't played The Order yet, so I don't know if he broods or has a troubled past, but Galahad has the grizzled appearance and the left eye scar down.

The next Witcher game, after Wild Hunt, is heavily hinted at being the very opposite of this trend. No more Geralt of Rivia.

I'll miss ol' Geralt. He's the best of the bunch.

Toxi

Banned
I haven't played The Order yet, so I don't know if he broods or has a troubled past, but Galahad has the grizzled appearance and the left eye scar down.
Sir Gallahad doesn't have a troubled past, but he broods a lot and rebels against authority and has bad relationships with those close to him and sets out to right his previous wrongs.

rhandino

Banned
holytrinityl1x35.png

- brooding
- grizzled
- stylish left eye scar
- talks like bale batman
- semi-receding hairline
- bad relationships

is this the true power of next generation video games???

are there / will there be more??

Ezio Auditore during Assassins Creed: Revelations?

1chZ5dJ.jpg

Orayn

Ezio Auditore during Assassins Creed: Revelations?

nElqMfu.jpg

Definitely fits in some ways, but Revelations is also where he's recovered from a lot of trauma, matured emotionally, and is getting his life together. Over three games, Ezio actually experiences character development and it's some of the only decent writing in the AssCreed series.

Top Bottom