• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Copied Nintendo Copied SEGA! Deamcast Wiimote

45896_earlywiimote.jpg

The Wiimote may not be such a new idea after all. The picture to the top is taken from a 2001 issue of Dreamcast Magazine in which several Dreamcast controller prototypes were shown. As you can see, the pictured prototype looks like a wired version of the Wiimote!

The caption reads, "Shikou sakugo no renzoku—'zanshin sugiru' dezai(n)," in Japanese, which roughly translates to, "Trial and Error Continues - Overly Novel Design."

Although Nintendo probably didn't get ideas from this design, it shows how far advanced the Dreamcast really was.

The Abominable Snowman said:
advanced the Dreamcast really was.
Amazingly, this ugly and painful-looking piece of shit looks far preferable to the controller that actually shipped with the Dreamcast.

Mason

I'm sure at some point in development, every console had a controller idea shaped like a remote. Wow.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Like I said in the other thread, there is nothing really similar in design or purpose between this and the wiimote. Funky looking though.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Kobun Heat said:
Amazingly, this ugly and painful-looking piece of shit looks far preferable to the controller that actually shipped with the Dreamcast.

Sad, but true...

Luckett_X

Banned
Oh look, Sega managed to work out years ago you could fit an analogue and d-pad on the same remote control design without resorting to silly nunchuk attatchments.

Can anyone here safely say it is even remotely beneficial to be waving two different items about rather than having the analogue stick consolidated onto one wiimote?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Luckett_X said:
Oh look, Sega managed to work out years ago you could fit an analogue and d-pad on the same remote control design without resorting to silly nunchuk attatchments.

Can anyone here safely say it is even remotely beneficial to be waving two different items about rather than having the analogue stick consolidated onto one wiimote?

You want us to explain why using an analog stick on the Wiimote while waggling would be awkward? :lol

Luckett_X

Banned
BocoDragon said:
You want us to explain why using a Wiimote analog stick while waggling would be awkward? :lol

Well either you or Nintendo, since the last I heard the nunchuck also had motion sensor waggleness involved.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Luckett_X said:

Pkunkfury mentioned this awhile ago:

The implementation of the Wiimote is very unique, partcularly because of the nunchuck. Wands with analog sticks attached to them are a problem in three space because as you tilt the wand, forward on the analog stick technically becomes a new direction. This confuses a lot of people who use them. Seperating the analog stick and making the remote moduler were brilliant ideas, and I hope Nintendo patented them. If the wiimote works as well as impressions indicate, I think a lot of VR researchers will be purchasing them in bulk.

Nunchuk's motion sensing part is limited to the accelerometer, unlike the wiimote.

jonezer4

That DC controller has none of the things in it that make the Wiimote "advanced". It's not even designed to be played with 1 hand, according to the picture.

That thing is an atrocity.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Luckett_X said:
Well either you or Nintendo, since the last I heard the nunchuck also had motion sensor waggleness involved.

You have to move. You have to attack. Two separate apparatuses for movement.

The motion sensing in the nunchuk is simple, and is meant for things like grappling beams, or lobbing grenades.... It's not the kind of thing you would be expected to joust or aim with.

Imagine running around a monster in Zelda, aiming at his head with a bow. You're telling me you'd have it so you'd manipulate the analog stick for movement and aim the wiimote for bow aiming with the same hand? Impossible.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Kobun Heat said:

Sega's dead, you don't have to keep up the facade of pretending to hate them

Luckett_X said:

While I agree that one consolidated unit seems the future, being able to move each hand independently is clearly better.

Here was my crappy mockup for sake of example, that combined the unique parts of the wiimote and nunchuk:
http://joshuajamesslone.name/images/date/20060426revchuck1.jpg
http://joshuajamesslone.name/images/date/20060426revchuck2.jpg

That Dreamcast controller, though, is more like a regular controller ripped in half, with one half then attached to the top of the other.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
SailorDaravon said:
There was a one-handed SNES controller made for RPGs, I'll see if I can find any pics, I THINK it was ASCII.

Edit:
ascii_grip.gif

There was also this one for NES and Genesis (which I had - same thing but with blue packaging and obviously the right plug) which was one handed and you tilt it forward/backwards/left/right instead of a D-Pad.

Game_Handler,_The.jpg

That Dreamcast prototype looks like it would be comfortable for exactly 10 seconds. I actually liked the official DC controller well enough, and don't get the hate for it. Then again, I only ever played at a friend's house, so maybe I just didn't spend enough time with it to notice any major flaws.

LCGeek

formerly sane
The controller isn't so bad as long as you train yourself to get use to fact that if you don't hold it right your hands will hurt in extended gaming sessions.

Luckett_X said:

Well as far as fitting it, notice the size

2fea_remote.png

10pc76x.jpg

Core407

Banned
Kobun Heat said:

LALALA I CAN'T HERE YOU!!! LALALA

SailorDaravon said:
There was a one-handed SNES controller made for RPGs, I'll see if I can find any pics, I THINK it was ASCII.

Edit:
ascii_grip.gif
They really should make more one hand controllers, especially for turnbased RPG's. Far more relaxing than with two hands.

Tony HoTT

Banned
Luckett_X said:

You're such a fucking troll that you're scrapping for anything now!? :lol

Seriously dude slide onto my tiny cock plz.

Dragmire

Does that Dreamcast controller have any kind of motion sensing? The remote style doesn't make sense for a regular controller.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Beatbox said:
There was also this one for NES and Genesis (which I had - same thing but with blue packaging and obviously the right plug) which was one handed and you tilt it forward/backwards/left/right instead of a D-Pad.

Game_Handler,_The.jpg

You mean it's a joystick.

jarrod

Banned
GameCube was also suspicously similar to one of SEGA's Dreamcast prototype models (called G-Cube even). Also, both platforms sucked for games.

Top Bottom