• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The curious case of Bloodborne rumored beast mode.

So, when Bloodborne was announced after the Projet Beast leaked trailer, a rumor quickly spread that the game had a "Beast mode" that would let the player transform into a beast, similar to Father Gascoigne or something.

In the final game, there is indeed a Beasthood stat, along with some Beasthood related items, but it seems that it only related to one weapon. Isn't that strange ? One full stat in a game with fewer stats that previous Souls games, for only ONE (average ?) weapon ?

I remember the EDGE preview thread, where it is stated in the recap that "There is a new mechanic they are not allowed to discuss" : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1008499

What was this mechanic ?

Also some interviews of Miyazaki saying the game was about changing into a beast or something.

See also : http://kotaku.com/the-mystery-of-bloodbornes-beast-mode-1696538953 and http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/30v7y5/so_is_beasthood_literally_a_stat_used_only_by_1/

Plus there's the Official Guide delay. It is said it is to add the online stuff... And scrap Beast Mode stuff out ?

So, what's your theory ? Was it scrapped because of time constraints ? DLC ? Hidden secret ?

I want to believe.

EDIT :

Future Press posted this update as the guide was going to the printer:
Here is a super brief update on the production status of our Bloodborne Collector’s Edition Guide. We’re completely done with creating content and now are only focusing on fine-tuning and double-checking everything is correct. Our print slots are reserved for Tuesday/Wednesday of the coming week (both in the US and the UK), and if all goes well, the books are printed the following week and on the way to our distributors. From that point on, it’s out of our hands and it all depends on how quick our distribution partners can pass through the books.

Our translation team is working night shifts to get the German edition done shortly after, but you should expect at least an additional week of delay – glaubt uns, wir geben uns echt Mühe!

Oh, and the exclusive Dynamic Theme has been approved by Sony a few days ago and is waiting secretly and silently in the PSN Store for your unlock key. We can’t wait to hear your feedback. Remember, the US edition codes are only redeemable in the United States, Canada and Latin America, whereas the European edition codes only work in PAL territory incl. ANZ.

And there is one more thing that we won’t go into detail yet – saving the best for last. Something that makes the guide even more valuable and up-to-date for a long time to come. We can’t wait to talk about it.

Stay with us – we’re almost there.

Hoping this is content that didn't make the retail disc and will be patched in. Holding out hope.

there was that one line that Father G had:

too scared to show your true face, eh?

that made me think there's definitely a transformation coming but I'm not finished with the game yet

I'm still early on in the game but I just assumed by some of the item drops and things I've found that at some point I would get to turn into a beast....

I guess I was wrong.

foxdvd

only beast in this game is me..when I am kicking a bosses ass on new game plus for the third time..

silly peasants haven't figured out how to unlock BeastMode yet, turning into a werewolf has made the game a little easy at times so I don't do it often

Nibel

Yeah, some of the stuff they mentioned was kinda scrapped? Not only beast mode, but also the seamless online multiplayer (players joining with no notification which was in the Network Alpha and blew me away since it's cool) or encountering Hunters and choosing to help them or let them die.

The beast stuff is the weirdest though since you find pills and there is a beast status effect and beasthood etc., really weird.

PS5

Neo Member
Yep there was definitely at one time a lot of talk about a secret mechanic in the game. I assumed this was beast mode (and it makes a lot of sense) but nothing ever came of it.

HeeHo

I really thought there'd be a Father G. moment and we'd at least become half beast. What is the weapon that beasthood effects?

Beaulieu

game has less than half the ammount of other FROM games
pretty sure they cut lots of stuff to meet deadline or budgets

a shame, really

Dsyndrome

Page count has been upped for the guide since the delay; I'm guessing that it's either not known yet (like folks just finding about the Hand Lantern hurting stamina) or DLC down the line.

Sullichin

So, when Bloodborne was announced after the Projet Beast leaked trailer, a rumor quickly spread that the game had a "Beast mode" that would let the player transform into a beast, similar to Father Gascoigne or something.

In the final game, there is indeed a Beasthood stat, along with some Beasthood related items, but it seems that it only related to one weapon. Isn't that strange ? One full stat in a game with fewer stats that previous Souls games, for only ONE (average ?) weapon ?

I remember the EDGE preview thread, where it is stated in the recap that "There is a new mechanic they are not allowed to discuss" : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1008499

What was this mechanic ?

Also some interviews of Miyazaki saying the game was about changing into a beast or something.

See also : http://kotaku.com/the-mystery-of-bloodbornes-beast-mode-1696538953 and http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/30v7y5/so_is_beasthood_literally_a_stat_used_only_by_1/

Plus there's the Official Guide delay. It is said it is to add the online stuff... And scrap Beast Mode stuff out ?

So, what's your theory ? Was it scrapped because of time constraints ? DLC ? Hidden secret ?

I want to believe.

Beasthood is not for just that one weapon. If you eat a beast blood pellet, the same effect applies to your weapon.

It makes you do more damage, but you take more damage. The faster you inflict damage, the higher your beasthood meter fills, increasing this multiplier. The Beasthood stat and buffs just determine how fast this meter fills.

It's just this game's "hyper mode". A beast transformation would be cool. I was kind of expecting that too.

jaypah

You are the Beastmode. Also I'd buy some "Fitna Go HAM 'Round This Bitch" DLC.

If a Beastmode existed do you think they could leave the details out of the guide? Or would people who bought it feel cheated? If any game could get away with it it'd be BB.

hawk2025

I think it's safe to assume it was cut, following the game's (IMO, very much correct) philosophy of excising extraneous features.

There are beast pellets which when you take one, a bar fills up each time you hit someone and spray blood everywhere.

I've yet to be able to get the bar to full ... but I figured if you did do it, you would turn into a Beast for a time. Heck there is even runes that is supposed to enhance the effect of the transformation?

ExoSoul

Banned

What was this mechanic ?

I want to believe.

Beast Blood Pellet, low resistance to beasthood, fill up that gauge.

Yeah, some of the stuff they mentioned was kinda scrapped? Not only beast mode, but also the seamless online multiplayer (players joining with no notification which was in the Network Alpha and blew me away since it's cool) or encountering Hunters and choosing to help them or let them die.

The beast stuff is the weirdest though since you find pills and there is a beast status effect and beasthood etc., really weird.

i was wondering why i still haven't seen this, i just assumed it was cause I'm only up to the second boss. sad to know its been cut :(

FaintDeftone

I'm assuming Insight is the unmentionable feature from that preview awhile back. I kept hearing about a fabled beast mode though. Knowing Miyazaki, it could still be in there and no one has found it yet. I have always wondered what that little meter is that pops up when you ring the beckoning bell.

I took part in the tests but don't remember the seamless multiplayer. Was it similar to journey ? Any videos of it ?

I'm assuming Insight is the unmentionable feature from that preview awhile back. I kept hearing about a fabled beast mode though. Knowing Miyazaki though, it could still be in there and no one has found it yet.

Yeah, the one I mention in the OP from the EDGE preview.

Apdiddy

My thought is that
Frenzy governs whether you turn into a beast or not. But I think too much work would have been required for that so it became another Souls meter that results in death if too high.

Even then a lot of the items ingame point to being the game's version of being Hollow except it gives you benefits but there are minuses.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Nah, no Beastmode. People would've found it by now, the game is too good to hide a secret like that (meaning people are working feverishly to figure everything out).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
my cousin's brother's dad works at fromsoftware and he got the codes not to long ago, please keep secret: ok first you have to work your way through the yarnham sewers and then kill exactly 8 rats but then go get killed by the big pig. Then do this three times. The fourth time you have to kill all the crawly dead guys and then have the crow eat you until dead. now when you respawn warp to the hemel lane and go to the big statue. now set yourself on fire until you die but BE SURE to eat a beast pellet before croaking and then when you respawn warp to the cathedral. there you have to fight BEAST LIN and kill him two times before unlocking the beast mode. also this only works if youre online and at level two hundred. i tried it and it works but my ps4 online doesnt work and the usb ports are dead so i cant show any photo proof but try it yourself

tcrunch

The full beast transformation rumor was just that, a baseless rumor compiled with a bunch of other baseless rumors that turned out to be largely wrong.

Take a look at the totally legit thread where the rumor gained traction
http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/2hbk32/rumourspoilers_multiplayer_information_leaks/
Just saw this over at another gaming site via a pastebin link which went down very quickly. It seems to be from the same source as the original project beast leak, so could be legit

An image version of the rumors - so much accuracy, right?
1Tc0Vjj.jpg

Page count has been upped for the guide since the delay; I'm guessing that it's either not known yet (like folks just finding about the Hand Lantern hurting stamina) or DLC down the line.

not just that, people on reddit are experimenting and it seems like equipping weapons in the secondary slots reduces stamina regeneration as well. Seems like Equip load is in BB, its just not visible.

http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/...and_lantern_isnt_alone_all_equipment/#spoiler

So, in light of the recent news about the Hand Lantern, I was able to notice a different phenomenon. It seems all equipped gear contributes some loss of stamina regeneration and the Hand Lantern becomes gear when active (contributing to more reduction).

While trying my hand at Vaati's Hunter of Hunters challenge, I noticed that my stamina regenerates much slower once I equip weapons compared to when I'm running without any. This reduction happens whether you're brandishing the weapons or not (equipped but switched to bare hands). I'm unsure if equipped items (molotovs and such) contribute any reductions or if having alternate weapons equipped add more reduction. However, there does seem to be a pseudo "weight system" in this game after all that dictates your base stamina regeneration.
I'll post video proof after today, but it's fairly easy to test yourself. In the meantime, be careful with your equipment out there, hunters.

And now people are testing our different armor sets (yes there seems to be differences in stamina regen)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nU1PuRt95L9uHrNVWkISC8QFaGIHvvHJY0Q9QmTi1oM/edit#gid=0

DedValve

Banned

Woah woah woah woah woah shut the front door. The hand lantern affects stamina?

Zabuza

Banned

Yeah I really miss that seamless online. Would be nice as an option you can turn on or off.

convo

I dunno about what actual rumors were before, but "beast mode" is not a werewolf transformation a la a certain boss. And come the fuck on about the guide, they said they expanded the size of it by more than 100 pages. If You want to know what the beast status-entails look it up,it has things. I think people made huge exaggerations and made up a lot of things that led people to think up dreams.

Here is a super brief update on the production status of our Bloodborne Collector’s Edition Guide. We’re completely done with creating content and now are only focusing on fine-tuning and double-checking everything is correct. Our print slots are reserved for Tuesday/Wednesday of the coming week (both in the US and the UK), and if all goes well, the books are printed the following week and on the way to our distributors. From that point on, it’s out of our hands and it all depends on how quick our distribution partners can pass through the books.

Our translation team is working night shifts to get the German edition done shortly after, but you should expect at least an additional week of delay – glaubt uns, wir geben uns echt Mühe!

Oh, and the exclusive Dynamic Theme has been approved by Sony a few days ago and is waiting secretly and silently in the PSN Store for your unlock key. We can’t wait to hear your feedback. Remember, the US edition codes are only redeemable in the United States, Canada and Latin America, whereas the European edition codes only work in PAL territory incl. ANZ.

And there is one more thing that we won’t go into detail yet – saving the best for last. Something that makes the guide even more valuable and up-to-date for a long time to come. We can’t wait to talk about it.

Hoping this is content that didn't make the retail disc and will be patched in. Holding out hope.

FaintDeftone

Wow reading some of this stuff makes me a little sad that this game couldn't been something extremely special if some of that stuff made it in.

I do like the idea of becoming a beast similar to going hollow. Since there are mobs that walk around as half beast, it would be cool to turn into that at death.

Rurunaki

I almost feel that the DLC will serve the other end of the spectrum for the game. BB vanilla was all about the Old Ones, Insights, and understanding them.

I fully expect the DLC to take the opposite of that and make the players walk the "other side." Screw the Old Ones, Screw the scholars, accept the beast within.

Miyazaki also mentioned looking forward to Evolve and Zelda when asked about upcoming games. The Evolve interest had me thinking asymmetric gameplay of Hunters vs a Beast was a lock. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be the case.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Even Miyazaki stated in an interview about the idea of " what would it be like to be a beast? " or something like that.

Yeah I really miss that seamless online. Would be nice as an option you can turn on or off.

Any videos of the seamless online ? I can't remember it from the tests.

Top Bottom