• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Data Usage - Seems high?

XboxData.jpg

So I was nosing around in the Xbox settings over the weekend and decided to take a look at the data usage. It felt like my Xbox is ALWAYS downloading or updating something.

I typically buy maybe 1 to 2 games a month at most, though I do 'update' the games whenever there is a new update.

I don't have any kind of bandwidth cap so it's not a problem, but I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this as well, and if it's normal. The Xbox also doesn't seem to be saturating the network while it's doing all these downloads either, maybe most of them are overnight?

I wonder if it's re-downloading the whole game when updating them?

Disclosures.. it's set to always on, & I'm also in the Xbox Preview Program in case that matters.

agc

This is why I don't really use my Xbox One much anymore and also removed myself from the Preview Program. It makes my 150gb data cap cry :(

The right totals seem to be just like mine but the left totals per hour is kinda crazy. 9GB per hour for 12 hours straight is very high.

jesu

Mine are about half of your totals there, which still seems kind of high.

You usage over the last 24 hours is crazy high though.
Mine are in the KB's with only one at 3MB.

I've got about 70 games installed, preview programme too.

Yeah I forgot about netflix etc. We don't use them too much. Though we do stream movies from the network hard drive, would those be counted in there?

The steady stream per hour was because I was updating like 5 games that day, GTA V, FarCry, Forza Horizon 2, CoD: AW and a couple others I think. Still when added it up seems like a ton of content being downloaded for just updates.

Clockwork5

Yeah I forgot about netflix etc. We don't use them too much. Though we do stream movies from the network hard drive, would those be counted in there?

The steady stream per hour was because I was updating like 5 games that day, GTA V, FarCry, Forza Horizon 2, CoD: AW and a couple others I think. Still when added it up seems like a ton of content being downloaded for just updates.

That movie streaming would be counted as far as i know. That would definitely help explain those numbers, especially if those are high res video files.

Edit: But unless you are streaming 24 hours a day there is definitely something crazy about your 12 hour usage history.

leeh

Stream a lot? I use Plex and I know my 1080p rips are around 2GB an hour, and Netflix is very similar.

Bloodrage

Banned
That's the NSA's preinstalled data collecting tech, btw. Kinect monitors anything close to it and sends the information any time you're connected to the internet.

That movie streaming would be counted as far as i know. That would definitely help explain those numbers, especially if those are high res video files.

Stream a lot? I use Plex and I know my 1080p rips are around 2GB an hour, and Netflix is very similar.

that's a lot of pecker pics sent to NSA op

but seriously i think this explains your dilemma

Haha.. okay that does make more sense, for some reason I was thinking in my head the data counter was only for data coming and going from the internet and not local stuff, but the Xbox wouldn't really be differentiating between the two. I use the Surface to 'play to' the Xbox a bunch.

Kadin

I just did a quick test and using the 'Play To' feature to stream content does in fact appear as bandwidth usage within the console.

My usage is just like yours OP. But I cut the cord and stream a lot via Play To but mostly Netflix / Hulu and did use Sling for a short while. Man was that a disappointment.

Noobcraft

Since August 18th of last year I've used an average of 131.16 GB of data per month on my Xbox One. Which isn't that crazy because I have downloaded 46 games (including 8 demos) and I take loads of screenshots and videos that get uploaded automatically.

Your usage over the last 12 hours is more than mine in the month of April so far. Those numbers are insanely high.

That's what I was thinking..

I noticed it takes forever for game updates, like it's re-downloading the whole game again instead of patching it. Does this happen to anyone else?

LiK

i don't have it always on because of that and for some reason it breaks its own internet connection so i have to do a restart for it to work again. it also sucks way more power than other consoles in stand-by. so yea, i don't even bother.

Your post 12 hours numbers look insane, but those monthly totals are in the same ballpark as mine. DL a couple games a month, a few games have large updates, healthy amount of streaming (HBO, Netflix, Hulu, FX Now), and 5+ OS builds as a preview member. It all adds up pretty quickly.

jesu

i don't have it always on because of that and for some reason it breaks its own internet connection so i have to do a restart for it to work again. it also sucks way more power than other consoles in stand-by. so yea, i don't even bother.

I think someone mentioned instant on uses about a dollars worth of electricity a month.

OP, do you use it for streaming Netflix and Amazon etc, in addition playing online, downloading games?

OT: does the PS4 have this feature? I'm interested to see what my data usage is.

Vestal

Gold Member
OP already said that he streams from a network drive, which would equate to this sort of thing it appears.

OP, do you use it for streaming Netflix and Amazon etc, in addition playing online, downloading games?

OT: does the PS4 have this feature? I'm interested to see what my data usage is.

Very rarely Netflix, some decent YouTube streaming though, which would also probably add on to it now that I think about it. We use the XB1 as our main media hub in the living room so everything goes through it, I suppose if it's not differentiating between the data it could explain why it's so high. (Local vs Internet traffic)

As far as I know the PS4 doesn't have this. I cut it off, but on the far left it shows you the current data transfer speed, which fluctuates as it's doing stuff, so you can see what you're using at that exact moment which is cool too.

Very rarely Netflix, some decent YouTube streaming though, which would also probably add on to it now that I think about it. We use the XB1 as our main media hub in the living room so everything goes through it, I suppose if it's not differentiating between the data it could explain why it's so high. (Local vs Internet traffic)

Exactly. It's counting all network packets/traffic on the NIC. I had the same reaction as you until I realized most of my data usage was from my local media server via Plex.

Top Bottom