• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSV2000 has an IPS LCD Panel?

Do you guys know whether this is true/false?

IPS方式の5インチLCDディスプレイ(液晶)を採用!

So the 2000 screen isn't a downgrade but just an alternative?

It uses an IPS LCD panel which is pretty standard for high end smartphones.

hongcha

wii u gamepad is ips, and most new 3ds xls are ips

Wii U Gamepad is TN according to Digital Foundary:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-wii-u

The touch-screen is based on twisted nematic (TN) LCD technology, which comes with a set of benefits and drawbacks. On the plus side, TN panels are relatively inexpensive components, light, keep pixel response snappy, and are energy efficient, but on the negative we're left with some weak viewing angles, and black levels that simply can't compare with the pricier AMOLED alternatives. In practice we find this isn't an issue for single-player use, and 480p screen is strikingly clear in games such as the Luigi's Ghost Mansion mini-game in Nintendo Land or Ubisoft's Rayman Legends

In regard to the OP, yes Vita2000 is IPS.

Namikaze

So the 2000 screen isn't a downgrade but just an alternative?

It uses an IPS LCD panel which is pretty standard for high end smartphones.

Pretty much. The screen isn't as vibrant as the AMOLED in the original Vita but the Mura effect (black splotches on the screen normally visible in a dark room) is gone and the colors are more realistic.

Pretty much. The screen isn't as vibrant as the AMOLED in the original Vita but the Mura effect (black splotches on the screen normally visible in a dark room) is gone and the colors are more realistic.
THIS HAS A NAME?!? I've wondered what that was for so long.

Gosh you really do learn something new every day.

Sophia

THIS HAS A NAME?!? I've wondered what that was for so long.

Gosh you really do learn something new every day.

I've grown fond of the effect myself, in a twisted sort of way. The only time I've ever really seen it extensively was in Persona 4 Golden tho.

Madao

i just checked the gamepad with the test used for new 3DS XL to check if it is IPS or TN and the thing looked like an IPS panel. if TN has that good of an angle there, then it's a surprise.

Dominator

Pretty sure, yeah. I wouldn't call it an alternative, the screen is definitely a downgrade. When I played with my 2000 after the 1000 all I saw was yellow.

Why doesn't Sony just advertise PSV2000 with an IPS panel?

They just call it highdef LCD panel… Nintendo doesn't market this as well.

Why?

Why would they need to when just about every company use at least an IPS display.

I wouldn't call it downgrade. They both have their pros and cons (refering to the Vita OLED and Vita IPS)

Namikaze

Why doesn't Sony just advertise PSV2000 with an IPS panel?

They just call it highdef LCD panel… Nintendo doesn't market this as well.

Why?

Good question, I feel like Sony doesn't even care all that much about advertising the Vita in the first place, let alone letting consumers know which type of screen they are using...and as for Nintendo, they can't advertise the fact that the new 3DS XL comes with an IPS since not all of them do. They'd rather stay silent than possibly get put on blast for false advertising is my guess.

x3sphere

I've always wondered why the Vita suffered from that, no other OLED display I've seen had the mura effect - not even my first gen Galaxy Nexus which was older than the Vita.

I've always wondered why the Vita suffered from that, no other OLED display I've seen had the mura effect - not even my first gen Galaxy Nexus which was older than the Vita.

I've read the Vita just uses some really cheap/early OLED tech. It's a shame IMO they dropped it for LCD with the 2000 instead of upgrading to a better OLED screen.

I've read the Vita just uses some really cheap/early OLED tech. It's a shame IMO they dropped it for LCD with the 2000 instead of upgrading to a better OLED screen.

It uses the Samsung AMOLED Plus display. So it should be the same quality as used in the Samsung smartphones which use said display?

Or is it a cheap version of the said display?

It uses the Samsung AMOLED Plus display. So it should be the same quality as used in the Samsung smartphones which use said display?

Or is it a cheap version of the said display?

It uses the Samsung panel so it's using one of the best if not best panel. Don't know where he got cheap from.

Guess Who

Banned
It's Samsung, but it's 2011-era Samsung AMOLED tech, which was quite shit. Samsung's OLED panel quality improved tremendously over the past few years.

Yep, sometimes my OLED Vita's screen will get all splotchy when it fades to black, though only noticeable in a dark room. I usually play in a well-lit environment, so I rarely run into the mura effect.

Guess Who

Banned
In what way is it quite shit?

Low PPI by modern standards, poor color accuracy by any standard, and the mura effect that's been well discussed already in this thread.

The only things good about it are the things that are good about any OLED panel - deep blacks, vivid colors and wide viewing angles.

Read gaf user Toadthemushroom posts in this thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1011361

Vita use very early OLED tech which is pretty crap compared to new OLED panels used in new smartphones.

I remember when they first revealed the Vita 2k and how people were so pissed about it ditching the OLED screen for LCD. How times have changed :)

I made they upgrade last year to 2k Vita and I've been very happy with it, and not just about the screen. I know about the over saturated looked of the OLED, those dark blotchy things were only visible for me when viewing a black screen in total darkness. Even with some text I coudlnt see it. Overal, Vita 2k is a worthy upgrade.

Didn't realize that PSV1000 has a plastic screen cover while the 2000 actually uses glass - which is better than just the plastic on the 1000.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I remember when they first revealed the Vita 2k and how people were so pissed about it ditching the OLED screen for LCD. How times have changed :)

I made they upgrade last year to 2k Vita and I've been very happy with it, and not just about the screen. I know about the over saturated looked of the OLED, those dark blotchy things were only visible for me when viewing a black screen in total darkness. Even with some text I coudlnt see it. Overal, Vita 2k is a worthy upgrade.
I'm still pissed about it. LCD is a HUGE downgrade from OLED. The OLED in the original Vita was pretty mediocre for the tech but the LCD in the 2000 is not a good alternative. Terrible black levels and motion smearing kill it for me.

I'm still pissed about it. LCD is a HUGE downgrade from OLED. The OLED in the original Vita was pretty mediocre for the tech but the LCD in the 2000 is not a good alternative. Terrible black levels and motion smearing kill it for me.

Doesn't OLED tech feature the same ' sample and hold' method as LCD? And for the record I couldn't detect motion smearing/blurring. Maybe you're looking too hard ;).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doesn't OLED tech feature the same ' sample and hold' method as LCD? And for the record I couldn't detect motion smearing/blurring.
There's still a significant difference between them. Play a 2d side scroller and you'll see.

sörine;161603278 said:
TN can have viewing angles nearly as good as IPS (up to 170 degrees). It all depends on the screen.

All TN panels have reverse colors when viewed from extreme angles of at least one direction (and the difference to IPS is huge imo, more than numbers on paper suggest).

monitor-angles.jpg

I don't think the Wii U gamepad uses TN.

Durante

just about every single windows laptop is tn though
No. Most laptops which aren't low-end are IPS.

sörine;161603278 said:
TN can have viewing angles nearly as good as IPS (up to 170 degrees). It all depends on the screen.
Those are 170° before you get to a contrast ratio of 1:5.

The only things good about it are the things that are good about any OLED panel - deep blacks, vivid colors and wide viewing angles.
And very fast pixel switching times. So pretty much everything important for gaming.

+1

Circinus

Wouldn't surprise me, because it's a great display with great viewing angles.

The LCD in the PS Vita 2000 is great by the way.

Top Bottom