• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The submarine ballistic missile North Korea launched sure looks like CGI

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

North Korea's alleged launch of a submarine ballistic missile made news yesterday. Today, the state's news agency KCNA published its report and added a couple of pictures:

There took place an underwater test-fire of Korean-style powerful strategic submarine ballistic missile. The ballistic missile was developed on the personal initiative of Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un, first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and first chairman of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK, and under his meticulous guidance.

Kim Jong Un learned about the tactical and technological specifications of the newly developed ballistic missile and watched its test-fire.

As soon as he issued an order to begin the test-fire, a combat alarm was sounded inside the strategic submarine and it submerged up to a depth for firing the ballistic missile.

After a while, the ballistic missile soared into the sky from underwater.

The test-fire proved and confirmed that the ballistic missile fired from the submarine fully met the requirements of the latest military science and technology.

Since the pictures of the launch were rather small, I enlarged them and I have to say, that missile looks like it's been (poorly) computer generated and then put into the picture. Take a look (click to enlarge):

V5Ly4BG.jpg
qNMmYX8.jpg

For comparison, here are non-NK launches of underwater ballistic missiles:

So I gotta ask ... #TeamReal or #TeamCGI?

Bonus:

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

This is quite old and about kn-08 ballistic missiles, not submarine launched ones.

Anyway it looks real enough. North Korea actually has a pretty large fleet of Soviet-era submarines, so this capability doesn't sound like something outrageous for them.

What's going on between those stuffed animals in the background?

Great Leader - portrayed as dominant alpha wolf, dominating Japanese cultural exports, portrayed as doraemon.

chadskin

Anyway it looks real enough. North Korea actually has a pretty large fleet of Soviet-era submarines, so this capability doesn't sound like something outrageous for them.

Does it? Looks just super out of place to me, like they forgot to add some proper lighting. Sticks out like a sore thumb.

aliengmr

I don't know. Launching a missile from a sub is one thing, getting that missile on an actual target is another.

I'm inclined to believe they're real. NK hasn't had a problem launching missiles, just with getting them to do anything beyond that.

EBE

its actually a matte painting and the sub is a scale model made to look bigger using clever camera tricks.

dont be fooled. practical effects arent dead yet.

#teampractical

Uhyve

The second one alone wouldn't have sold me. But wow, that first pic, I mean, the exhaust from that rocket doesn't seem to cause any lighting differences at all. Seems odd.

DrSlek

So I'm looking at that CGI missile, and I see no methods of directing it. No fins or flaps. Just propulsion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom