• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

Bladelaw

Backdash might be an upgrade like double jump you get later. Aria of Sorrow had it as a passive soul.

I'm happy with where things are now. Really excited for the game.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I'd rather they left it alone, and just emulated the traversal of Iga's previous games (which they seem to be doing).

I'm having a really hard time understanding why there's a few of you that want stuff like that changed. Like the comments about the floaty jump too for example. The jumps were just like that in all of his other games too and it was perfectly fine. I think a majority of people backed the game to get an Igavania game, not something else so why do people suddenly want to take away some of the things that made us want this in the first place?

Didn't they say the classic mode would have more "committed" jumps, like in the Classicvanias? If that's what people are after, anyway. Floaty seems to be thrown around as such a loose descriptor, which I guess is fitting.

Didn't they say the classic mode would have more "committed" jumps, like in the Classicvanias? If that's what people are after, anyway. Floaty seems to be thrown around as such a loose descriptor, which I guess is fitting.

I sure hope not. If I wanted that I would just play Ghouls & Ghosts.

Crocodile

CkkDRcDXIAIRFXT.jpg

From the twitter account. Shot of the demo on a 4K TV

I think it looks a little rough, but it's headed in the right direction. Certain things that I'm not a fan of as of now I'm sure will be improved over time, such as the kind of stiff still-to-running, or the going through the floor to go down a platform. Although you could always obviously do that in previous games (and any other 2D platformer for that matter), with a 3D character it looks a bit more bizarre. What they could do is an actual animation of Miriam sorta "hopping" down instead of going through the environment...

Something like this lol, but going downwards rather than over an obstacle obviously. It would give it a bit more style don't you think?

The apparent "stiffness" of running seems very clearly intentional and is meant to evoke the way the sprites animated in classic Castlevanias. They called that distinctive sprite animation the "Belmont Strut".

jonjonaug

I'd rather they left it alone, and just emulated the traversal of Iga's previous games (which they seem to be doing).

I'm having a really hard time understanding why there's a few of you that want stuff like that changed. Like the comments about the floaty jump too for example. The jumps were just like that in all of his other games too and it was perfectly fine. I think a majority of people backed the game to get an Igavania game, not something else so why do people suddenly want to take away some of the things that made us want this in the first place?

I'm thinking the same thing about the last couple of pages of posts. It looks great IMO. The jogging is nice, having animation for turning around is nice, the speed is nice (maybe just a smidgen too fast), and the scarf flowing around looks nice. It's a SOTN style Castlevania's main character movement and animations in 3D, and it looks way better than I was expecting it to look.

I wonder what that floating thing was in the floor at around 0:27 or so. I hope that's a placeholder for breakable floors to find hidden items.

@MUWANdo

Banned

You hear "floaty" thrown around for every 2.5D game, even games with 1:1 movement to older true-2D games. It rarely means a whole lot.

Dropping through platforms is purely a visual issue: it looks crappy with 3D models but is much easier to overlook with sprites. Some games (Shinobi 3DS springs to mind) address this issue by adding an animation that shows the character flipping around the platform in 3D, some just let 'em clip through the platforms, ugliness be damned.

Teppic

He's a developer and he's playing a 2D Igavania game with an analog stick instead of the Dpad. Something is clearly wrong here and he's in dire need of some help.
I don't see an issue playing with analog sticks. It works just as well. I like it when you can play with both so you can switch between them. Playing with only one can get tiring after a while.

I don't see an issue playing with analog sticks. It works just as well. I like it when you can play with both so you can switch between them. Playing with only one can get tiring after a while.
You can use an analog stick but for a 2D game like this you'd be doing it wrong. Dpad is where it's at

Anyone here remember trying to play Castlevania Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate on 3DS and forcing you to only use the Circle Pad? It sucked! It was so critiziced that when they released the HD version on consoles they let you use the Dpad instead.

As long as I have the option to use the Dpad to control my characters in Bloodstained I'm fine. Any analog stick hethens can opt to use that too for all I care. Let's just not force the stick as the only option, please.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Aside from the fact that you just stated an issue with analog sticks when you said you didn't see an issue with analog sticks...

It's just not as precise. You only need 8 directions, and yet, you have a full 360 degree range instead. You can't feel exactly which direction you're hitting on an analog stick in this context.

Eusis

I find analog vs digital to be mainly an issue of quick movements and comfort. Comfort is YMMV but it's hard to fight the fact it's significantly slower and involves more travel to press a different direction on an analog stick than a D-Pad.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So we can expect at least up to 4K support on the demo? Can't wait to see how it looks like downsampled.

If the game is Unreal Engine I think that shouldnt be much of an issue. Even if the in game option doesnt feature it you can edit the ini to the desired res.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Even demos should work the same way as complete games? That's great to know.

Considering the engine the ini settings should be there. I haven't touched PC demos in years but considering how the engine works it shouldnt be too different between demo and final game to change the resolution. Also there are other things you should be able to tweak besides the resolution which might take more or less resources depending how you tweak them.

The email says I have to get the PC version to get in the Beta (not demo). Why can't they just send everyone who backed it at $60 or higher a Beta code? If they can use it, they use it.

They don't say anything like that about the demo in the email. I picked Wii U. I hope I don't get left out.

Foffy

Banned
Their plan is to have the demos out by the time of the Microsoft conference or very close to it.

I believe Fangamer Steve on the Bloodstained forums has said the target window is during or after E3. He did not say Microsoft's event specifically, though they are very likely advertising the game because of the cross-platform functionality the game will have.

You guys might've blinked and missed it so I'm here to say I saw 2 seconds of Bloodstained gameplay during the Microsoft Conference. We'll see more soon. Hopefully today.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
CkkDRcDXIAIRFXT.jpg

From the twitter account. Shot of the demo on a 4K TV

There's just something so invigorating about this. It's the new console (well, I'll play it on PC, but still) Castlevania that I've wanted for like 15 years, and it's right fucking there. And it looks great! What a time to be alive.

Top Bottom