• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 12, 2005: Xbox 360 -- Next Generation Revealed, an MTV Special.

Phediuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTs0AoaMYGA

That's right folks, May 12 marks 10 years since the official unveiling of the Xbox 360, which occurred in this half-hour special, hosted by Elijah Wood and featuring not one, but two musical numbers from The Killers.

I didn't think it was possible for something from 2005 to look so old, holy crap.

Games shown:

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Madden NFL 06
Kameo: Elements of Power
Project Gotham Racing 3
Gears of War
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 3
NBA 2K6
Quake 4
Call of Duty 2
The Darkness
Saint's [sic] Row
And the centerpiece of the show, Perfect Dark Zero.

Featuring interviews from members of the Xbox creative team, ncluding J Allard and Jonathan Hayes, and also a few unrelated celebrities, such as Lil Jon and Ryan Cabrera. Also goes behind the scenes at Rare to ask the Perfect Dark Zero team a few questions. Then there's a little PDZ competition at the end.

Yep, this was how it all began for the 360. This is the most 2005 video you will ever watch.

Phediuk

For some reason J Allard wore the dumbest fucking outfits in all of his public appearances during this time. I guess to look younger or something.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Such an awesome beginning for a new generation. Felt like real spectacle with the party, MTV show, Allard pep talk, ground zero event, everything.

Shauni

I actually remembered that. I thought, even back then, that it was weird they revealed it there and not E3, but I guess it was all about trying to get gaming attention on the mainstream.

I also do recall, even back then, that the video quality looked like ass. Probably blew their whole load on Elijah "Lord of the Ring" Woods and getting The Killers to play.

j_allard_ahhh.jpg

G0523

I remember watching it and it made me feel uncomfortable. It was a party for the reveal of a console but it didn't seem like it was geared toward me. Plus, the whole Rare thing was still kind of a fresh wound (even though it had been about 2.5 years since they joined Microsoft.) Plus the PDZ demo they were showing off wasn't that great. And one of the girls who was playing it kept saying "bitch" a lot. That stuck with me for some reason.

Jonnax

Wow. Looking through that it's a world of difference from the Xbox One reveal.

Did a google for some graphics screenshots:
Perfect Dark Zero:
tf4D97o.jpg

Halo 4:
XxyxRXm.jpg

It was a great generation.

jaypah

Watched this live and Tivo'd it so i could watch again. I was so amped for that generation to kick off! Good times...

_woLf

I remember the fun ARG that lead up to this. It was way more interesting than the actual reveal, though. I think it was called OurColony?

The Cowboy

Wow. Looking through that it's a world of difference from the Xbox One reveal.

Its like they actually understood the audience they were going after, it seems so well targeted - the one reveal was just all over the place, like they didn't know who to aim towards.

Wow, what a trip. Those early next-gen games, that dashboard, all that green. The hype for that generation of consoles was unreal. What a time it was. I miss 2005.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTs0AoaMYGA

That's right folks, May 12 marks 10 years since the official unveiling of the Xbox 360, which occurred in this half-hour special, hosted by Elijah Wood and featuring not one, but two musical numbers from The Killers.

I didn't think it was possible for something from 2005 to look so old, holy crap.

Games shown:

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Madden NFL 06
Kameo: Elements of Power
Project Gotham Racing 3
Gears of War
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 3
NBA 2K6
Quake 4
Call of Duty 2
The Darkness
Saint's [sic] Row
And the centerpiece of the show, Perfect Dark Zero.

Featuring interviews from members of the Xbox creative team, ncluding J Allard and Jonathan Hayes, and also a few unrelated celebrities, such as Lil Jon and Ryan Cabrera. Also goes behind the scenes at Rare to ask the Perfect Dark Zero team a few questions. Then there's a little PDZ competition at the end.

Yep, this was how it all began for the 360. This is the most 2005 video you will ever watch.

I still feel like this was like a yr or two ago I was waiting overnight in sleet outside target in Kingston, NY, man how time flies.

I remember watching this live... Was sooo excited. Ended up buying Kameo and PDZ day one with my 360. Can't believe this was 10 years ago already. Christ.

Az987

all good things
I remember watching it. I think I was refreshing GAF for it and did we get the Wall Guy perfect dark joke during it?

EBreda

What a nice time to be alive. It was awesome back then. Reveal was pretty tight.
And The Killers! Amazing. I still like em.

Ivan 3414

Wow, the Pimp My Ride segment is so corny lmao

This is what some people still think rap is like

Edit: lmao @ the intent of the 360 is "to let it fit anywhere". That box is huge.

Fox Mulder

it was fun and exciting, liked the killers for a week back then and even fell for the madden bullshit.

MS had to pull out the big bucks after killing the xbox early, but i got hyped.

Trago

I specifically remember debating with my friends at school on whether that Madden footage was real lol.

Can't believe this was 10 years ago.

I was super excited after watching this.

I remember getting my 360 on launch day with call of duty 2 like it was last week.

Soltype

Can't believe that was 10 years ago, it feels like yesterday.I remember my friends going crazy for PDZ.

entremet

Crazy how the world has changed to much since then.

The rise iPhones and its ilk
The Wii and motion control gaming
Youtuber millionaires
Steaming and Twitch
Japan being night and day from then/

Nephtes

I remember watching this and I was so hyped because I knew I was going to E3 for the first time that year and would get to play on the Xbox 360 before all my friends.
Sadly, the there were very few games playable for it on the show floor... And worse, the units on the floor were actually Macs...

Top Bottom