• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 20 Grossing Console/PC Franchises at Retail of the Last 10 Years

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
retaildecadea7unf.png

Source: https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsit...ft fy15 slides conf call finaltcm99202524.pdf

flkraven

I'm shocked that Sonic is on that list. Also I can't believe Halo is as high up as it is being on one platform.

Eolz

In the west and consoles only*.
Nice to know Ubi is still doing those graphs nearly yearly.

Welfare

Sonic more than Elder Scrolls? Wait how the fuck did Sonic do that with no handhelds?

Also Halo at number 11 B)

Image and site blocked at work. List of franchises?
1. Call of Duty
2. Mario
3. FIFA
4. GTA
5. Assassin's Creed
6. Wii Fit
7. Madden
8. The Sims
9. Guitar Hero
10. Battlefield
11. Halo
12. Need for Speed
13. Just Dance
14. LEGO
15. NBA 2K
16. Warcraft
17. Sonic
18. Rock Band
19. Elder Scroll
20. Skylanders

Linkhero1

1. Call of Duty
2. Mario
3. FIFA
4. GTA
5. Assassin's Creed
6. Wii Fit
7. Madden
8. The Sims
9. Guitar Hero
10. Battlefield
11. Halo
12. Need for Speed
13. Just Dance
14. LEGO
15. NBA 2K
16. Warcraft
17. Sonic
18. Rock Band
19. Elder Scroll
20. Skylanders

Thank you. Looks about right. I expect some of these franchises to get off the list within the next few years, particularly Wii Fit and Guitar Hero.

Aeqvitas

Does Mario include any Nintendo title with Mario somehow involved? Or only mainline releases?

Glad to see Halo reasonably high as well.

CoD is truly a beast in sales. Also impressive how franchises that have been dead for 5 years (i.e. Guitar Hero) still hold on because they sold so much in the past. It is very hard for even great new franchises, such as Gears of War and Uncharted, to even make it to this kind of chart.

CassSept

GTA is 4th with only two games. Damn.

San Andreas was released in late '04 for PS2 only, I'm pretty sure major chunk of SA sales factor into that period too.

I knew Wii Fit was big for a while, but damn. Wouldn't have expected it to be so high

Guitar Hero is 9th and it's been dead for half the last decade.

If they added DS/3DS/PSP/Vita, what would happen to that list?

More Nintendo franchises, Mario first?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I haven't been following Sonic sales lately, but don't Sonic games generally sell well? Unless you're referring to Sega's lack of focus on the console market, meaning less Sonic console titles.

They were doing about 2 million an entry with Mario & Sonic pumping around 5-10 million (this is what was really getting them places), but these days it's more like 500K-1 million.

Elder Scrolls is on the list with about 16 million at retail or so (a lot of Skyrim's 20+ million at 8 million PC digital sales and Oblivion was only around 3-5 million).

They're need a very strong brand revival to get back on.

Edit:

Actually given Europe's PC retail situation, Elder Scrolls could still conceivably be around 20 million at retail. Retail for PC was still notable in the US when Oblivion came out even.

bigkrev

Does Mario include any Nintendo title with Mario somehow involved? Or only mainline releases?

Glad to see Halo reasonably high as well.

CoD is truly a beast in sales. Also impressive how franchises that have been dead for 5 years (i.e. Guitar Hero) still hold on because they sold so much in the past. It is very hard for even great new franchises, such as Gears of War and Uncharted, to even make it to this kind of chart.

I would assume it is everything with Mario in the title, otherwise Mario Kart (MKWii sold 20 million some copies) would be on the list

Skylanders is the one that surprises me on this list. Relatively new and the whole figure and portal thing did wonders for them.

I am just wondering how much longer Skylanders will be able to keep up with Disney going deep as hell on it and Lego getting into it this fall.

I haven't been following Sonic sales lately, but don't Sonic games generally sell well? Unless you're referring to Sega's lack of focus on the console market, meaning less Sonic console titles.

Sonic games still sell. If they didn't even, even as crazy as Sega is, they would stop or take a break.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I had no idea the NBA 2K series was that popular.

It exploded around the year NBA Live imploded, and actually ended up selling significantly better than both games did combined the previous year.

Has been growing and holding strong ever since.

Linkhero1

They were doing about 2 million an entry with Mario & Sonic pumping around 5-10 million (this is what was really getting them places), but these days it's more like 500K-1 million.

Makes sense given that the Wii U hasn't been hot. I'd be surprised if they don't release a bunch of Sonic titles for the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U this gen.

Videoneon

A mostly familiar roundup featuring an assortment of franchises I generally don't care about tbh

Would be cool to see a +3DS version. Must be something like Pokemon, Monster Hunter

I'm actually not sure that Sega feels particularly worried about Sonic especially if it falls slightly. They want the franchise to do well because it has such a stranglehold on a certain demographic, but they can fall back on other spheres. But of course if Sonic started to bomb, they'd hate it.

Kinda wonder how the chart would look if they split Mario and its spinoff series.
Based on the above parameters (though I'm also including the first 3 months of 2015 as several of these weren't updated at the end of 2014)

Mario Kart: 41.49 (76.78 including handhelds)
NSMB: 36.38 (76.38 including handhelds)
3D Mario: 24.01 (34.01 including handhelds but excluding Super Mario 64 DS since it released in 2004)
Mario Party: 11.96 (22.41 including handhelds)

In the west and consoles only*.
Nice to know Ubi is still doing those graphs nearly yearly.

Ok so no PC, no handhelds and no Japanese market lol

I now understand why I don't like Ubi games. They're focused on things that don't appeal to me, they can try harder but only their "little" games could have my attention.

Ubi, EA and Activision are shaping a western only gaming vision. Fuck you all (with love).

Top Bottom