• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nxgamer Witcher 3 Xbox One analysis

nib95

Banned
Was there really a need for them to reduce AF and AO with the new patch? Framerate seemed on the whole fine before (minus frame pacing). Unless there are other parts of the game that are more demanding. Either way, frame pacing (nor minor fps drops) doesn't bother me much, so if this is the sort of performance I can expect from the PS4 version, I'll be pretty happy.

Black Hat

g1362359580344510831.jpg

Angel_DvA

above 30FPS for the most part, frame pacing issues, subnative display for the most part.
Patch improved framerate in cutscenes at cost of AF and AO, yeah don't patch it if you're in the Xbox One.

CDProjeckt made a great job on console overall, their works on PC is disappointing though.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Sucks that they seemingly removed AO from both XBO and PS4 with the patch.

At least in cutscenes.

Also the AF being reduced... not sure if that happened in the PS4 version too though.

nib95

Banned
Sucks that they seemingly removed AO from both XBO and PS4 with the patch.

At least in cutscenes.

They removed it in the PS4 version too? Are you sure? If so, I'm just not going to patch... Unless for performance or bug reasons I have to...

ps3ud0

Never understood an unlocked frame rate when its hovering just over 30FPS (assumption). Hopefully an optional limiter can be put in like some of the early Sony releases had (was it just Infamous and Killzone that got those added?)

Not watching it if theres spoilers involved!

ps3ud0 8)

DieH@rd

Banned
What's framepacing?

TVs usually refresh at 60 frames per second. To achieve perfectly smooth 30fps [like for example in Drive Club], during each second, each frame of the game is showed on screen twice:
1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5.....

Some games also have 30fps rendering, but they don't show their frames in propper way. At the end of the day, those games indeed have 30fps, but visually they look choppy on screen.
1 1 2 2 3 3 3 4 5 5 ...

dEvAnGeL

Never understood an unlocked frame rate when its hovering just over 30FPS. Hopefully an optional limiter can be put in like some of the early Sony releases had (was it just Infamous and Killzone that got those added?)

ps3ud0 8)
for it to be a stable locked 30 the game should be at least doing 40's to mid 40's, if you're hovering on 35 or so and lock it down most likely you will get frame drops in to the mid 20's on intense moments

I don't understand why or how anyone could think that AF is an acceptable fucking tradeoff for literally anything. Such a minor performance impact with such a hugely noticible result... What the holy fuck. Is there some sort of exotic hardware limitation keeping AF of all things from being feasible?

Tovarisc

So, is that intro some huge kind of spoiler? Kind of a douchy thing to put at the start.

If player has any idea about
Geralt's past with Wild Hunt
then it doesn't spoil anything imo and for rest it most likely just bring up questions like "What was that?" so they just jump in to find out.

Edit: Also like MJFJD said it's from first 10 minutes of the game

ps3ud0

for it to be a stable locked 30 the game should be at least doing 40's to mid 40's, if you're hovering on 35 or so and lock it down most likely you will get frame drops in to the mid 20's on intense moments
Sorry should have quantified what I meant by 'just over 30FPS' but yeah as you said thats something I think an optional frame rate limiter would be nice to have...

I find (a large) variance in frame rate can be pretty annoying

ps3ud0 8)

dEvAnGeL

Sorry should have quantified what I meant by 'just over 30FPS' but yeah as you said thats something I think an optional frame rate limiter would be nice to have...

I find (a large) variance in frame rate can be pretty annoying

ps3ud0 8)

it is indeed annoying, i wasn't able to finish killzone shadow fall until the frame rate lock was implemented as an option because unlocked frame rate gives me a headache, reason i went with the PC version of this game, i enjoy this franchise so much i don't want to hate it for technical reasons

Ushay

TVs usually refresh at 60 frames per second. To achieve perfectly smooth 30fps [like for example in Drive Club], during each second, each frame of the game is showed on screen twice:
1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5.....

Some games also have 30fps rendering, but they don't show their frames in propper way. At the end of the day, those games indeed have 30fps, but visually they look choppy on screen.
1 1 2 2 3 3 3 4 5 5 ...

Nice, thanks for this.

xion4360

No. SSAO is completely off post patch on XBO. At least in cutscenes.

AF is reduced to 8/4x from 16x.

it doesnt look to be completely off and your numbers are coming off guesstimates. Eitherway way looks like it was worth it since it runs mostly above 30 now and looks barely worse.

Contra11

Banned
1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5.....

1 1 2 2 3 3 3 4 5 5 ...

Isn't this kind of problem are the norm for PC games ?

sueil

Isn't this kind of problem are the norm for PC games ?

You can lock a pc game to whatever FPS you want with driver software. I can tell my graphics card to lock it at 30 or 40(my monitor is 120hz so 40 is a okay fps to lock at) if I want.

OmegaDL50

What? Source is the video in the OP. The very thing this thread is about.

They are talking about the PS4 version too. The entire video itself is about the XB1 version. The author of the video specifically states he couldn't get his hands on either the PC or PS4 version to test until Monday.. So whatever information present in the video is in regards to the XB1 version.

Of course I wouldn't think the PS4 version is much different, but we would need direct confirmation to be certain.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
They are talking about the PS4 version too. The entire video itself is about the XB1 version. The author of the video specifically states he couldn't get his hands on either the PC or PS4 version to test. So whatever information present in the video is in regards to the XB1 version.

Of course I wouldn't think the PS4 version is much different, but we would need direct confirmation to be certain.

No. SSAO is completely off post patch on XBO. At least in cutscenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2mJaYQhaYc&t=1m52s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVphjF8XCFE&t=3m21s

AF is reduced to 8/4x from 16x.

PS4 version, same scene, effect is still gone.

OmegaDL50

The framerate analysis in these videos, from what I've seen hasn't hit below 30, in fact I see it hovering between 32 to 35 fps at times, so If it's getting an above 30fps average, then locking it to a solid and consistent 30 shouldn't be an issue right?

Javin98

Banned
I wonder if the unlocked frame rate is the reason why the Gamersyde videos were so juddery. If so, I wonder how the PS4 version is perceived as much smoother. I doubt it was locked at 30FPS since some people noticed frame rate drops.

Majanew

Banned
Frame-rates jumping up and down can make it look like the frame-rate is dropping below 30 due to the stuttering it causes. Devs really need to get their damn frame-rates under control. Frame-pacing issues and spikes above 30 causing stuttering. Sucks.

Stacey

Banned
Why do some on neogaf keep insisting on AF having zero affect on frame rate yet developers continue to reduce it to increase the frame rate?

Kinthalis

Banned
Why do some on neogaf keep insisting on AF having zero affect on frame rate yet developers continue to reduce it to increase the frame rate?

It has no effect on pc. But then again bandwidth on pc gpus is plentiful. I guess its not so free on consoles.

OmegaDL50

AF has very little demand to make a significant impact in regards to frame rate. It's effect allows to see textures properly at oblique angles, and I believe I heard several people such as Durante and Dark10x who are very knowledgeable on graphical effects have stated it's overall impact is small to negligible at best. At least on PC.

It has no effect on pc. But then again bandwidth on pc gpus is plentiful. I guess its not so free on consoles.

I think it has like 1~2 fps penalty but so worth it.
Given how console sometimes struggle to even hit 30fps that 1~2fps should
be a easy optimization option.

Javin98

Banned
From what I've seen in screenshots, the PS4 version seems to have around 4× AF as well. I wonder if that has to do with the day one patch too. If performance doesn't frequently drop below 30, I'd rather have 8× AF and the pre-patch AO.

Majanew

Banned

Because AF has been fixed on other games without it affecting those games' frame-rates.

Guess this will be another game I buy used later on when it's around $30 and the dev has the game running better.

Jsheldon

I wonder if the day 1 patch will be forced on digital copies :/. I'd like to try playing without it but not sure how that works on a pre downloaded game?

Noobcraft

I wonder if the day 1 patch will be forced on digital copies :/. I'd like to try playing without it but not sure how that works on a pre downloaded game?
It's already installed for you if you have an Xbox One. I'm getting a physical disc but it will also automatically install the update when I install it unless I put my console offline.

Top Bottom