• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Oddworld: New N' Tasty Xbox One - um, the framerate is fucking horrid!

Bought this on Xbox One a little while ago as I wanted to throw Just Add Water some money IE: already owned it on PS-Plus but I love the studio.

I WISH the performance was as consistent as in this video... (but it REALLY isn't and wish DF what had tested it further)

I mean, I'm at the part right now where your
getting the hand brands
and for VERY long stretches at times, the framerate just sits at what looks like 16-20 fps.
Did they think this was acceptable?
The performance is so bad that it does actually effect the gameplay as your controls are often so freaking delayed due to the wobbly framerate. I've died so many times due to the just general timing either being off or it not registering my inputs.
I should mention the framerate pretty much NEVER actually hits 60fps (PS4 version does a bit tho) in the XboxOne version, to the point of why even leave the framerate unlocked. It creates an obscene amount of judder/framepacing issues, which, once again, actually effects the controls.

I seriously think the game isn't being called out for it's horrid performance because no one is really playing it. I was quietly released to the XB1 marketplace with almost nill reception. I know GAF here obviously isn't talking about it because most played it on PS4. I just don't understand how it's just soooo badly optimized, particularly on XboxOne. It's a fantastic looking game, but never strikes me as a technical powerhouse. Just some great (tho devise) art direction.

I know JAW frequents GAF and I really wish they would address this :(

Tenrius

There are always technical issues with JAW games on non-Sony platforms, it seems. They never really fixed the PC version of Stranger's Wrath for me, although the PS3 was quite a pleasure to play, and there were some pretty bad controller support issues in New 'n' Tasty on launch. The latter were thankfully patched, but it regrettably didn't work for everyone. So there's that. I still appreciate their work, of course, the Oddworld games are fantastic.

There are always technical issues with JAW games on non-Sony platforms, it seems. They never really fixed the PC version of Stranger's Wrath for me, although the PS3 was quite a pleasure to play, and there were some pretty bad controller support issues in New 'n' Tasty on launch. The latter were thankfully patched, but it regrettably didn't work for everyone. So there's that. I still appreciate their work, of course, the Oddworld games are fantastic.

Yeah, adore the studio but just don't what the hell happened to this port.

PS3 Stranger's Wrath is flawless
Vita Stranger's Wrath is daaaamn good (get's super framey at the end)
PS4 New N' Tasty is okay

Don't know if they're just too small or stretched thin or what. Makes me nervous about the proposed Abe's Exodus remake

We still haven't even gotten Vita New N' Tasty and the PS3 version was VERY quietly released on PSN just recently, finally.

CamHostage

I know New N' Tasty is on Unity (was Stranger's Wrath ported through that or was that its own engine?) You can obviously make a game that will chug on a platform with even the most solid engine, but I'm curious how Unity tends to run on Xbox One.

(Not to single out Xbox, I'm curious how Unity is going for ALL the platforms; I don't see much feedback without being in developer forums, and with Unity and UE being dominant in the future of gaming, I really hope developers are getting what they need out of these engines.)

I seriously think the game isn't being called out for it's horrid performance because no one is really playing it.

I was tearing this game apart for ages, so sad to see such an amazing classic game get this poor treatment, not sure how they thought it was ready for launch and at such a high price,
i was basically a beta tester finding bugs every 10 minutes.
Game was a broken mess, with hundreds of bugs and almost unplayable on ps4 so i'm not surprised to hear it struggling on xbox.
Absolute scam that little big planet 3 and this get away with it yet neogaf goes crazy when ubisoft do similar.

I was tearing this game apart for ages, so sad to see such an amazing classic game get this poor treatment, not sure how they thought it was ready for launch and at such a high price,
i was basically a beta tester finding bugs every 10 minutes.
Game was a broken mess, with hundreds of bugs and almost unplayable on ps4 so i'm not surprised to hear it struggling on xbox.
Absolute scam that little big planet 3 and this get away with it yet neogaf goes crazy when ubisoft do similar.

Yeah, heard about the PS4 version being buggy on release but when I eventually got around to it, it was completely solid... bug wise of course.
Speaking of which, I've since gone back to the PS4 version and while the framerate isn't 60fps, it's freaking night and day compared to the XboxOne version, which is borderline unplayable later in the game. I just had to give up as it was truly heartbreaking how poor it performs :(

Top Bottom