• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD confirms GCN, incl. XBO, doesnt support DX12 12_1 (but does 12_0 stop panicking)

chadskin

AMD's global head of technical marketing Robert Hallock confirmed to Computerbase GCN-based graphics cards will support DX12 and at least some will also support DX12 feature level 12_0. Computerbase mentions Tonga, Hawaii and the Xbox One GPU will surely support 12_0, however question marks remain for older chipsets like Bonaire, Tahiti and Pitcairn.

Meanwhile, Nvidia confirmed earlier their chipsets GM200, GM204 and GM206 will already support DX12 feature level 12_1. At GDC this year, MS gave an overview of feature level 12_0 and 12_1:

32d9dcfaf6.jpg
Hallock said it shouldn't be an issue that AMD cards only support feature level 12_0 since all the features relevant for games are included in 11_1 and 12_0. Also, most games will stick closely to what the consoles use and will therefore mostly use 12_0. Keep in mind, though, he's the global head of technical marketing, so his words shouldn't just be taken as gospel. Computerbase also pointed out Nvidia said the same thing when their Kepler cards didn't support feature level 11_1.

tl;dr: If you want a fully compatible DX12 card you should look into getting a Nvidia GTX 960, 970, 980, 980 Ti or Titan X. Or wait until more information regarding AMD's upcoming Fiji card(s) are released.

Caayn

Computerbase mentions Tonga, Hawaii and the Xbox One GPU will surely support 12_0, however question marks remain for older chipsets like Bonaire, Tahiti and Pitcairn.
Isn't the XB1 gpu based on Pitcairn.

Are the difference between those two large enough to include DX12 support?

Genio88

AMD's global head of technical marketing Robert Hallock confirmed to Computerbase GCN-based graphics cards will support DX12 and at least some will also support DX12 feature level 12_0. Computerbase mentions Tonga, Hawaii and the Xbox One GPU will surely support 12_0, however question marks remain for older chipsets like Bonaire, Tahiti and Pitcairn.

Meanwhile, Nvidia confirmed earlier their chipsets GM200, GM204 and GM206 will already support DX12 feature level 12_1. At GDC this year, MS gave an overview of feature level 12_0 and 12_1:

Hallock said it shouldn't be an issue that AMD cards only support feature level 12_0 since all the features relevant for games are included in 11_1 and 12_0. Also, most games will stick closely to what the consoles use and will therefore mostly use 12_0. Keep in mind, though, he's the global head of technical marketing, so his words shouldn't just be taken as gospel. Computerbase also pointed out Nvidia said the same thing when their Kepler cards didn't support feature level 11_1.

tl;dr: If you want a fully compatible DX12 card you should look into getting a Nvidia GTX 960, 970, 980, 980 Ti or Titan X.

Glad my GTX 980 will have full support then, cause it has to last till Pascal arrives next year

undu

Found this in an an article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8544/microsoft-details-direct3d-113-12-new-features

D3DOIT_575px.png

ROVs is focused on giving the developer control over the order that elements are rasterized in a scene, so that elements are drawn in the correct order.
D3DCR_575px.png

Conservative rasterization is essentially a more accurate but performance intensive solution to figuring out whether a polygon covers part of a pixel.

(There are the two features included in level 12_1 that I've found)

chadskin

Isn't the XB1 gpu based on Pitcairn.

Are the difference between those two large enough to include DX12 support?

XB1 is said to be based on Bonaire and PS4 on Pitcairn but I guess they're going by Phil Spencer's statement the XB1 is "full DX12".

MilkyJoe

I'm confused

Title says

AMD confirms GCN, including Xbox One GPU, does not support DX12 feature level 12_1

Body says

AMD's global head of technical marketing Robert Hallock confirmed to Computerbase GCN-based graphics cards will support DX12 and at least some will also support DX12 feature level 12_0. Computerbase mentions Tonga, Hawaii and the Xbox One GPU will surely support 12_0,

Am I reading this wrong?

Danneee

I'm confused

Title says

AMD confirms GCN, including Xbox One GPU, does not support DX12 feature level 12_1

Body says

AMD's global head of technical marketing Robert Hallock confirmed to Computerbase GCN-based graphics cards will support DX12 and at least some will also support DX12 feature level 12_0. Computerbase mentions Tonga, Hawaii and the Xbox One GPU will surely support 12_0,

Am I reading this wrong?

According to that the X1 supports DX12 but not DX12.1
I guess.

jmga

I'm confused

Title says

Body says

Am I reading this wrong?

Google Translate:
According to Hallock, the absence of the feature level 12_1 is no problem in principle. So the key for games features are all included in the feature level 11_1 and 12_0.

M3d10n

Maxwell is the first GPU architecture that supports 12_1. Or rather, you could say that feature level 12_1 was defined around Maxwell's new features (which are all available through extensions).

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm confused

Title says

Body says

Am I reading this wrong?
No. They're just saying they wont support 12.1.

What I don't get is what they mean by only *some* GCN cards supporting 12.0. Is that not base DX12 support? Or is there another, more basic level, with 12.0 being the first tiered 'feature level'?

jmga

What I don't get is what they mean by only *some* GCN cards supporting 12.0. Is that not base DX12 support? Or is there another, more basic level, with 12.0 being the first tiered 'feature level'?

DX12 has 4 hardware support feature levels.

chadskin

My understanding is a card can be DX12-compatible but not support the DX12 feature level 12_0 or 12_1.

IINM the Bonaire/Pitcairn reference was for core count rather than feature set.

It probably was, yeah, but I doubt there's a difference in feature sets since it's the same Sea Islands family. MS already said the XB1is full DX12 and built with DX12 in mind, so they've likely made the necessary changes for 12_0 based off of the Bonaire design.

dr_rus

tl;dr: If you want a fully compatible DX12 card you should look into getting a Nvidia GTX 960, 970, 980, 980 Ti or Titan X. Or wait until more information regarding AMD's upcoming Fiji card(s) are released.

While I agree that it likely won't be an issue what he said about 12_1 features not being relevant for games is a blatant lie.

M3d10n

Every DX11.1 (and maybe DX11) GPU should support DX12, which is mostly a new way to interact with the GPU plus bringing bindless textures and indirect draw calls to Direct X officially (they were available as OpenGL extensions for quite a while).

It's kinda like DirectX 9, which covered three shader model generations (9a, 9b and 9c).

DX12.1 covers new hardware features like sparse volume textures, order independent transparency and conservative rasterization. These features are mostly aimed at improving performance of voxel based techniques and enabling new ones, like real time GI.

roytheone

Wait, in an earlier thread about directx 12 support I was told that my GTX 970 maybe wouldn't support all of the features, while a lot of AMD cards would support it. And now the exact opposite turns out to be true? That's funny.

Seanspeed

Banned
Every DX11.1 (and maybe DX11) GPU should support DX12, which is mostly a new way to interact with the GPU plus bringing bindless textures and indirect draw calls to Direct X officially (they were available as OpenGL extensions for quite a while).

DX12.1 covers new hardware features like sparse volume textures, order independent transparency and conservative rasterization. These features are mostly aimed at improving performance of voxel based techniques and enabling new ones, like real time GI.
Good explanation, thanks!

Wait, in an earlier thread about directx 12 support I was told that my GTX 970 maybe wouldn't support all of the features, while a lot of AMD cards would support it. And now the exact opposite turns out to be true? That's funny.
Really.

M3d10n

While I agree that it likely won't be an issue what he said about 12_1 features not being relevant for games is a blatant lie.
Yeah, it really opens up the doors for good general purpose real time GI and for that doing stuff like AO and reflections in world space instead of screen space.

Yeah, it really opens up the doors for good general purpose real time GI and for that doing stuff like AO and reflections in world space instead of screen space.

First I just want to see AO done in world space. That is most important to me before all the other expensive stuff starting being done.

hodgy100

OBviously, but even the console API cannot take advantage of hardware features that do not exist on the chip itself.

He is talking about hardware features.

yeah and that console api will already support all the features of the gpu/ it was more a preemptive comment on those that still think the x1 will get more features / better performance from an upgrade to a pc api.

martino

Yes it was mention in one thread, i remenber it.

But good news, i'm even more happy for my crazy 980 ti impulse buy.

yeah and that console api will already support all the features of the gpu/ it was more a preemptive comment on those that still think the x1 will get more features / better performance from an upgrade to a pc api.
aye, gtochya... sounded like something else :D
The Xbox One is DX12 hardware, we already know it's getting DX12 and getting DX12 feature set.
Indeed, 12_0 (even though MS already said the x1 default API has a number of these features, like bundles/batches and stuff)

FordGTGuy

Banned
see my post above yours. the x1 api likely already has dx12 features.

It doesn't have every DX12 feature, how many times do we have to go over this?

The Xbox One currently doesn't take advantage of the new cpu communication improvements.

aye, gtochya... sounded like something else :D

Indeed, 12_0 (even though MS already said the x1 default API has a number of these features, like bundles/batches and stuff)

It has some features that are included in DX12 but not all of them which will come when it releases on Xbox One.

I don't know what GCN is. GCN is the acronym used to signify the GameCube. I find it hilarious that all theses graphics cards are based on the GameCube.

Seanspeed

Banned
It has some features that are included in DX12 but not all of them which will come when it releases on Xbox One.
It wont have ALL the DX12 features, though. That's what this is saying. XB1 GPU only supports up to 12.0 feature level. 12.1 is newer and for the moment, only Nvidia Maxwell GPU's have the hardware to take advantage of it.

Microsoft makes DirectX, Microsoft makes the Xbox. I'm sure they can make it work or at least add support for alternative methods with similar results. I think the Xbox will have a somewhat unique API anyway.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So if I'm in the market for a GPU, how do I know which current cards will make use of Direct X 12.1?

I take it a 750ti does not?

Top Bottom