• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 10th Anniversary event next week in LA

Hosted by iam8bit and Double Fine.

4wkpp0O.png

Come celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the much-beloved video game "Psychonauts," complete with:

* Limited Edition Tribute Prints from Renowned Artists like Scott C, Natasha Allegri, Nan Lawson, Zac Gorman, Drew Wise Design, James Gilleard, Nicole Gustafsson, Ken Wong and more!

* Concept Art from the Early Years!

* Conversation with Double Fine folk like founder Tim Schafer and many other lovely Double-Finers

* Guzzle Adult Beverages

* Also... don't forget to kiss the two-headed baby, as Double Fine Productions is also celebrating its 15th Anniversary!

Really wish I could attend this. I'd love to get the Scott Campbell and Natasha Allegri prints.

paulogy

How could this not possibly also lead to a remaster/reimagining?

(or perhaps kick off a Kickstarter for such a thing)

Vibranium

Banned
Please tell me Notch is going with his wallet.

Psychonauts is one of Double Fine's best, if they pulled off a sequel properly it could definitely help their reputation a bit.

I actually bought a signed copy of a Psychonauts poster of da' Dubba Fine' website. I think Monsignor Schafer signed it, but even if it was just signed in passing. I was left with a really cool Psychonauts poster. I was super excited about the potential Psychonauts 2 talks a few years back, sad to see that hype has been taken down a Notch.

Great game that deserves a ton of exposure.

I've never played this. What is it?

Also does it really warrant an anniversary?

Really funny/ endearing platforming game. I'd say it warrants an anniversary thing, it's a really memorable game and it's not like they're setting up an annual convention for it or anything.

Kind of tempted to check it out but it'd be like a forty minute drive and I don't know anyone who'd be excited to go.

Please tell me Notch is going with his wallet.

Psychonauts is one of Double Fine's best, if they pulled off a sequel properly it could definitely help their reputation a bit.

Well, Notch was only worth about 100 million dollars when he offered to fund Psychonauts 2. He said he didn't think he could get educated enough to do an 18million dollar deal (the amount Double Fine needed) while still making games. He thought P2 would take "a couple of million" to make.

Now, he is worth more than 10 times that, isn't making games, and has been educated in making huge deals by selling Minecraft for 2.5 billion. Maybe the time is right? lol

wwm0nkey

Its a typical Double Fine game, a mess of incomplete ideas with more emphasis on attempting to be funny/clever than being a fully functioning video game.

Does anything? Tim Schafer has that KS money though so he can pay to throw himself a party.
Uhhhh he didn't use any KS money for that party dude

Miker

No matter how much people like to shit on Double Fine - warranted or otherwise - Psychonatuts remains one of the best adventure games made in the decade, full stop. It was more of a point-and-click in a platformer's clothing than anything else. And the platforming wasn't that bad.

In a better world, it would've been the template for the modern adventure game. It effectively translated the appeal and simplicity of the SCUMM engine into a 3D space, and if I had my way, Tim Schafer would be making games with sections like Waterloo World all day, every day.

gdt

I played Psychonauts maybe 2 years ago for the first time and it's still brilliant. An amazing game that I'd love a sequel to.

wwm0nkey

If this is for a remaster, the only things that really need to be touched up on are textures. The meshes for characters match the art already

This suggests to me that Tim Schafer will be making an appearance on stage this E3, to announce yet another remaster. Could happen. I really didn't like Psychonauts all that much, but I'd be happy for all the folks who did.

Parsnip

In which they'll announce Psychonauts 2.
AFAIK they are working on something a bit larger than their most recent games...so, BELIEVE.

Mononoke

Banned
I'd be ok with a remaster but not with a sequel

I know this thread is from yesterday. But why? If ever there was a game that needed a sequel, it was this one. The game did a perfect job building up your character, and leading into him finally taking off and being apart of the team. Dat cliffhanger...

EDIT:

Okay so here is the answer:

I don't think modern Double Fine could make a decent sequel

I can understand that then.

Mononoke

Banned
I don't think modern Double Fine could make a decent sequel

I see where you are coming from.

But, would a sequel not be better than nothing? Even if it was bad, or not as good as the original, we could just not play it. But if there is a sequel, it has that chance of being good. So it's a chance of more material. If it ends up bad, just skip it.

Hmmm.

RK128

I could picture them announcing Psychonauts Anniversary Edition for PS4, X1 and Wii U; having 60FPS, 1080p, tighter controls and maybe an extra level or two. This game isn't playable on current generation platforms (PS4, X1 and Wii U), so if they really want to make a sequel, it might be wise to re-release the original on this generation of consoles, that way the game can have more exposure, thus making a sequel more likely.

I do hope that we get sequel at some point though, as the original left such a wide door open for sequel concepts; open world with the ability to jump inside everyone's mind? Powers being upgrade-able, leading to a Metroid-vanna type of level structure? The core gameplay being more refined?

So much can be done with a sequel for Psychonauts, and I would buy that in a heartbeat :D.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
PS4 edition announced? I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Miker

Psychonauts still looks pretty good nowadays, but I was never especially fond of the lighting. I think it would look great with one of the toon shaders on SweetFX or something similar.

wwm0nkey

Psychonauts still looks pretty good nowadays, but I was never especially fond of the lighting. I think it would look great with one of the toon shaders on SweetFX or something similar.
Lighting and texture rework would be the best thing for a remaster of this. Black velvetopia with HD textures would be god like

I just want to go check out the art and celebrate the game.

Some of y'all get your expectations set far too high for something being held at a video game art gallery on Sunset.

Top Bottom