• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next proper Metroid Prime "would likely now be on NX", (implies NX succeeds Wii U?)

Nibel

Speaking to Eurogamer at E3, Metroid Prime series producer Kensuke Tanabe said that due to the amount of content such a game would require, it would probably take several years to develop.

"If we started for Wii U now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's NX console," he said.

"It's a long time but it would need to include a lot of content, which would take a lot of work on the development side."

Speaking with Tanabe, it was clear he had plenty of ideas for the game, including a focus on a single planet that has a time-shifting mechanic, similar to Metroid Prime 2: Echoes' single planet with dark and light variants.

"Instead of broadening it to more planets I would have one and would focus on the timeline, and being able to change that. That's one interesting idea I have in mind... but I understand many people thought that [Echoes] was too difficult."

I recommend checking out the complete Eurogamer article, dude gets it.

Also, he speaks of the 'NX console' and not just 'NX platform'. Could be just some kind of translation error or maybe he just stealth confirmed that it is indeed a console.

Doesn't this imply that the NX is a living room console and successor to the Wii U?

Edit: Or did we already know this?

Edit 2: *facepalm* I only read the article. Good find if not a translation error

Hatchtag

Banned
Well shit, that's quiet the statement.
For one, everyone here expects Xbox One and PS4 to still be going in 2018. Guess the Wii U won't be.
For two, that's a strong implication that the NX is a home console successor.

Zero148

Doesn't this imply that the NX is a living room console and successor to the Wii U?

my first reaction. Isn't this the first time a Nintendo employee basically confirms the NX as the WiiU successor? I think it was just speculation up until now

orioto

Good Art™

Edit 2: *facepalm* I only read the article. Good find if not a translation error

Living room console or not, it will replace the WiiU (and hopefully the 3ds)

So NX will be released by 2017 at least since if they started development in 2014, 3 years would be 2017.
2016-2017 confirmed then!

We don't know what NX is yet. Also, yes, it would imply that, but I'm always suspicious of translations from Japanese. They could use the "console" term for handheld or console interchangeably, for example.

SerTapTap

It's pretty safe to assume we're not getting many/any more big/retail Wii U games that aren't already announced, so this isn't surprising. I hope that "if we started right now" is a theoretical and not a "lol we ain't makin' no metroid game" confirming they haven't started.

Cyd0nia

Banned
So, game's not even started... Fuck this shit. They dont know what the fans want.

This. I'm glad tanabe is so candid, I honestly do appreciate it, I just wish he or someone else had said so sooner so I knew to expect no metroid for a generation, just like the n64 days. Fucking shit.

Anth0ny

Shocking news.

This was obvious as soon as Retro released Tropical Freeze. It was February 2014, and Wii U was dead and buried. They weren't going to start working on a new, high budget project for the Wii U at that point.

Azure J

Tanabe name dropping best Metroid Prime as a template. *swoon*
Tanabe messing around with the concept of an even more dramatic "dimension shifting" mechanic. *double swoon*
Thinking about how dense and labyrinthine a Metroid on the successor to Wii U could be.

Welp, I'm ready.

Linkhero1

It was pretty obvious that their focus has shifted. They're riding out the Wii U with the last titles in development at this point. I can see them announcing a few more Wii U titles for 2016, but NX is up next baby.

Not a big surprise that they aren't starting giant projects for Wii U anymore.
However, a real bummer that they weren't actually already working on a new Metroid Prime. I just had a glimmer of hope, you know? Retro, watchu been up to then?

Forkball

Honestly I don't want another Prime. I'd like to see Metroid return as a third person action adventure game. Or at least a 2.5D ha held game akin to Super Metroid.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's probably for the best at this point. A point I see often thrown around is that Metroid Prime 3 didn't sell well on a massive install base. A Wii U Metroid would not do very well.

No duh they don't have a metroid in development. Every other mainline metroid was announced at an e3 and released somewhere between 12 and 18 months after.

Pinky

Banned
0e3.png

I'm of two opinions right now.

Half of me is ticked that it sounds like they haven't even started work on a new game, while the other half of me thinks that his ideas for a new Prime game sound amazing!

That is how most Nintendo console go by year 4 shit slows down as they get ready for the new system.

I think that's part of the struggle of supporting 2 consoles. The handheld market is dying around the world, so I would expect them to not have a dedicated handheld after the 3DS.

Rosur

Well shit, that's quiet the statement.
For one, everyone here expects Xbox One and PS4 to still be going in 2018. Guess the Wii U won't be.
For two, that's a strong implication that the NX is a home console successor.

Yea.

I'm expecting their to be different versions of the NX, one home console powered and one handled and also reflects their new account system that works on their mobile games and home/ handled consoles.

Top Bottom