• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie Fils-Aime: Current state of VR isn't fun

hypotc

Just saw this article at Polygon:

https://www.polygon.com/2015/6/18/8803127/nintendos-fils-aime-current-state-of-vr-isnt-fun

Earlier this week, I had a chance to chat with Fils-Aime about his take on the industry, Nintendo and the state of things to come in gaming. In light of Microsoft's HoloLens, the Oculus Rift, the PlayStation's Project Morpheus, I wanted to know if Nintendo was reevaluating its take on virtual reality. Is there a Virtual Boy 2 in our future?

Probably not, at least not yet. Nintendo, it seems, remains pessimistic about the current state of the technology.

"We have knowledge of the technical space, and we've been experimenting with this for a long, long time," Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime. "What we believe is that, in order for this technology to move forward, you need to make it fun and you need to make it social.

"I haven't walked the floor, so I can't say in terms of what's on the floor today, but at least based on what I've seen to date, it's not fun, and it's not social. It's just tech."

What do you think? Do you agree with Reggie here?

The_R3medy_

Neo Member
Neither is the current state of the Wii U

I agree with Reggie though, it's mostly tech demos and stuff right now.

Can't really do a VR Mario game, so of course he'd say that :^)

But nah, I just think Nintendo IP's wouldn't work on it. Maybe something like F-Zero would work and be super cool, or a Metroid Prime game, but everything else? Nah.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So just like streaming/watching other people play? (Don't remember which one it was)

Kriken

At what point does someone from Nintendo just pull Reggie aside and say "Just shut up for now and focus on the next direct"

Can't really do a VR Mario game, so of course he'd say that :^)

But nah, I just think Nintendo IP's wouldn't work on it. Maybe something like F-Zero would work and be super cool, or a Metroid Prime game, but everything else? Nah.

Luigi's Mansion in first person bruh.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think Reggie has outstayed his welcome at Nintendo. The number of stupid statement that he made in the past year or so is impressive.

DrArchon

So he says it isn't fun or social. Isn't that what Nintendo basically said about online play for the longest time? Look how that turned out. If VR really takes off like some people say it will, this will just be another huge missed opportunity for them.

Omikaru

He said streaming gameplay wasn't fun to watch, and many disagreed with him.

Basically, if Nintendo isn't doing it for whatever reason, and appears to be behind the curve on something big, Reggie is just gonna say it's not fun. It's PR.

SerTapTap

I haven't walked the floor

Man this is even more bullshit than I thought. He's talking about old video demos and stuff when there's real shit at an event he's at and he's just going to sling shit while press reports positive impressions left and right? Why did they even show up to E3 this year.

MUnited83

For you.
You mean before the actual tech is completely out and feature complete, and experiences/games are especifically made for it? No shit the "current state" isn't fun. That's like saying a album from a certain artist is bad before the damn album is even out.

Get it all out Reggie.

to be fair this is all Reggie has seen to date.

reggie-plays-virtual-boy-o.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Funny enough, Sony at their conference talked about how they're already implementing ways to have people playing together on the screen and with another having a VR helmet on.

You know, that sounds oddly similar to one person with a Wii U pad and the others on the TV screen. Interesting how that works, Reggie.

I've defended Reggie before, but it's getting ridiculous now.

J@hranimo

Banned
Well in my opinion I kinda agree. VR really looks pretty gimmicky to me and I have zero interest in.

This has nothing to do with the hardware of the Wii U being behind lmao. You guys crack me up!

ckohler

https://www.polygon.com/2015/6/18/88...of-vr-isnt-fun said:
"We have knowledge of the technical space, and we've been experimenting with this for a long, long time," Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime.

lazqkXS.png

orioto

Good Art™
So he says it isn't fun or social. Isn't that what Nintendo basically said about online play for the longest time? Look how that turned out. If VR really takes off like some people say it will, this will just be another huge missed opportunity for them.

It is already.

Nibel

"I haven't tested yet and therefore unable to form an opinion but I know they are not fun"

Come on, Reggie.

Schnozberry

Reggie is gonna Reggie.

That being said, I don't think VR has found a game that will really drive it into the mainstream, so while Reggie speaks in hyperbole he's not entirely wrong. It's very impressive tech just waiting for the right innovation to come along.

I think Reggie is really liking all the attention and buzz Nintendo generated and what's to move it to the next level.

Any publicity is good publicity I guess.

Top Bottom