• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It sounds like idtech6 is no longer using MegaTextures in favor of dynamic lighting

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
At least, that's the implication I'm getting here. Does anyone disagree?

VentureBeat said:
GamesBeat: Was John Carmack any part of this engine, or any more than previous engines?

Hines: Truthfully, yes. John was at id so long that his work is in there. But a lot of this was born when he left. The tech team reevaluated—what are we building on? What are we using? Does this help us making the best games faster? Does it give our developers tools? Are we in the business of making technology or making games? A lot of what’s in id Tech 6 is a shift toward an engine that allows for more flexibility, with an eye toward the games.

GamesBeat: Was it just the levels or my imagination? It seems a lot lighter.

Hines: A lot more lighting, a lot more stuff that we didn’t—megatextures doesn’t allow for dynamic lighting. That’s the opposite of how megatextures work. It’s all baked-in stuff. Part of id Tech 6 is allowing for dynamic lighting, smoke and particle effects, a lot of stuff that just wasn’t part of the picture in previous versions.
Source: http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/17/b...-marketing-rules-for-doom-fallout-4/view-all/

diaspora

That's seems to be the case. I can't say I'll miss it considering how bad the textures looked in game for RAGE.

Squishy3

That's seems to be the case. I can't say I'll miss it considering how bad the textures looked in game for RAGE.
Yeah but maybe one day we'll get to see the uncompressed 1TB version of RAGE. Hell, I'd just settle for some screenshots of it.

JUST DO IT, BETHESDA

People hated Rage textures? I thought they looked great. Yeah they were a blurry mess up close, but that wasn't the point of them.

I'll miss them.

120v

Idtech5 was the worst engine I've ever experienced. Wolfenstein had dips below 5 fps even on low settings ... inexcusable with a 970 and i7 4970.

Performance impressions on doom need to be near flawless before I even consider paying a dime for it

KORNdoggy

People hated Rage textures? I thought they looked great. Yeah they were a blurry mess up close, but that wasn't the point of them.

I'll miss them.

seeing as it's a first person game where you are frequently close to geometry and objects...i'm afraid that was the point of them...and they sucked. what use is a graphics engine that only looks nice from 5miles away...and streams in textures every time you turn a corner? it was awful technology, it really was.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I have such mixed feelings about the idtech5 games I've played. That easy 60fps was always nice, but it came with a hefty download and somewhat limited options.

I'm guessing we know nothing about Dishonored 2's engine at this point other than it's id5?

Elsolar

Yeah there's no way they could have made a real next-gen game on id Tech 5. And, as he notes, it's not just because megatextures are bloated, low-res, and flat; they also make global dynamic lighting completely impossible! And next-gen games have tons of dynamic lights. Good on them for cutting out the tumor and switching to something more scalable.

Yeah there's no way they could have made a real next-gen game on id Tech 5. And, as he notes, it's just just because megatextures are bloated, low-res, and flat; they also make global dynamic lighting completely impossible! And next-gen games have tons of dynamic lights. Good on them for cutting out the tumor and switching to something more scalable.

Honestly, the pop in and performance rates for idTech 5 is what drove me up the wall. Looked nice at a distance, not so much up close.

Megatextures are only good for wide scale vistas. But since most of the time you are funneled in an enclosed environment it kinda misses the point. A total waste of 5 years of development if you ask me.

Thank God. I'm really not enjoying these 60gb downloads.
Gargantuan game sizes and textures that look horrible up close ta boot.

Still, idTech 5's 60fps lockdown is appreciated, and the visuals, when taken in as a whole can be seriously impressive at times.

But I'm glad they're changing direction with idTech 6.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Good thing people are leaning more on effeciency than pie and the sky pet technological projects that are worth far less than the time and money invested.

Carmack was the Ken Kutaragi of ID, and in this day and age these types of people are not neccesary

nOoblet16

Uh I don't understand this, megatextures is just virtual texturing...why would it not allow dynamic lighting?

Also didn't Wolfenstein have some dynamic lights? I sure remember seeing a good few moving lights and shadows in the game. And Evil Within too...that game had dynamic lighting (I blame the devs for poor performance here not the engine).

Corpekata

Banned
Sizes of the game are hardly the issue. The often terrible textures and the pop in from using the method are the issue with the engine.

nOoblet16

Megatextures can look sharp and high res but the drawback would be really really big game size.
You trade that for lower quality if you want smaller game size basically, the entire point of virtual texturing is that it uses no RAM for texturing but takes an ass ton of HDD space.

Sizes of the game are hardly the issue. The often terrible textures and the pop in from using the method are the issue with the engine.

Those are issues equally caused due to the HDD.
For several reasons they are more or less eliminated in Wolfenstein (I've only played on PS4) when compared to Rage.

Edit: Oh it's global dynamic lighting. Still why is virtual texturing making this impossible?

Sizes of the game are hardly the issue.
It is when even a shorter standalone title like Wolfenstein: The Old Blood is a whopping 36GB.

Console HDDs are already hurting for space, and a download of that size can be too big a hoop to jump through for people with low download speeds and caps.

nOoblet16

It is when even a shorter standalone title like Wolfenstein: The Old Blood is a whopping 36GB. Console HDDs are already hurting for space, and a download of that size can be too big a hoop to jump through for people with low download speeds and caps.

The main game was 47GB though (so aboutt 11GB more) but it was considerably longer.

Corpekata

Banned
It is when even a shorter standalone title like Wolfenstein: The Old Blood is a whopping 36GB.

Console HDDs are already hurting for space, and a download of that size can be too big a hoop to jump through for people with low download speeds and caps.

I mean, it's annoying, but annoying in the way games used to be multi-disc. It's a hassle.

Idtech creates issues within the game itself so I'll take fixing that over "Well, this is kind of inconvenient."

Sotha_Sil

As long as Id Tech 6 remains committed to locked 60fps on consoles, I will continue to be a fan. It prioritizes the most important parts.

I hear Dishonored 2's Void engine is a modified Id Tech engine, it would be awesome if that game was locked at 60fps too.

Megatextures can look sharp and high res but the drawback would be really really big game size.
You trade that for lower quality if you want smaller game size basically, the entire point of virtual texturing is that it uses no RAM for texturing but takes an ass ton of HDD space.

Those are issues equally caused due to the HDD.
For several reasons they are more or less eliminated in Wolfenstein (I've only played on PS4) when compared to Rage.

Edit: Oh it's global dynamic lighting. Still why is virtual texturing making this impossible?

The main game was 47GB though (so aboutt 11GB more) but it was considerably longer.

I am not sure why megatextures would preclude dynamic lighting and shadowing. I just think the default stuff they used to bake the megatexture also baked lighting information at the same time... so a production issue. It also prevents from world objects from moving as far as I understand it (all dynamic objects in idtech 5 games are textured using traditional methods).

One thing about megatextures which is not talked about (beyond the obvious questions of resolution or high dynamic range), is that increasing the texture quality or increasing how often it is sampled decreases performance quite massively. It is the only engine that I know of where increasing texture resolution (even though you have enough VRAM) chokes both CPU and GPU performance.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I would've swore off that Doom was on UE4.
Welp.

There goes the unique engine of id. Perhaps for the best.

Top Bottom