• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is it about FFVII in particular that made people crave a remake so badly?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Nostalgia.

this
yxVNEB.gif

yAjGlG.gif

y7Z7Yn.gif

Ikael

Nostalgia is a very incomplete explanation, kinda fallacious, even. I recognice that I cannot speak objectively about this game, for it was indeed my first foray into the Final Fantasy saga, so it would be better explained by a different perspective.

Many years after its debut, about 13 years later, my young cousins had their first contact with the ffVII universe. Unlike myself, they didn't had any rose tinted glasses, mind you. They grew up the PS2, ffX was their first RPG, they were already moving into the PS3 and simply couldn't understand what the fuss was all about since ff VII had butt-ugly graphics and a "nosensical waiting to hit each other" combat system. I explained that it had to do with the plot and characters, and they of course didn't buy it.

Until they stumbled with a copy of Kingdom Hearts. They inmediately fell in love with the Sephirot and Cloud characters, hard. "The coolest characters in the entire game, better than Sora!" they claimed, and needed to know more about them. Out of their own volition, they bought Crisis Core asap for their PSPs in order to get their ffVII fix, and were blown away by its world and mythos. After that, they really, really needed to play the original and see the origins of Sephiroth and what the hell happened to Cloud.

Thing is, ffVII is massively appealing to teenagers, regardless of whetever they grew up with this game or not. The game oozes coolness (longass swords! trenchcoats! beautiful warriors as love interests!) the main character's struggles have to do with forming their identity and distinguish what is real from what is made up (a pretty existential issue for any teenager) and its mood swings wildly between brooding drama and ridiculous, unpretentious cheesefest (kinda like teenagers theirselves). So of course this game is going to impact whoever is in their formation years, which is different from merely "nostalgia" per se.

In addition to that, and as a videogame critic, the game was a prime example of videogame narrative done right due to its nature as a transitional game between the more artisanal, personal videogame making of the 16 bit generation, and the blockbuster nature of the massive AA titles that would define the next generations to come. Yes, it had cutscenes and bombastic production values (for their time), but the game truthly shone when the less typical narration kicked in. Playable flasbacks. Showing the strenght of your antagonist trought combat, not cutscenes. Player-controlled love triangle. Cross-dressing sections. And a long etc of other neat, experimental narration tricks impossible to replicate in any other medium. Now, mix it with a hefty, crazy mix of wildly politically incorrect elements (terrorists as heroes, transexuality, etc) you get the kind of game that would be almost impossible to get greenlighted today. And yet here we are, celebrating its remake. Incredible.

Nottle

FF7 was a weird transition period for the series. In many ways it is shares a lot with the previous NES and SNES games, but also ushered in a new era.

It's art style is classic Final Fantasy in that it's artstyle is insanely inconsistent but it also has a focus on cinematics which later games have.

Seeing that classic FF7 world, which has some of the most memorable locations in all of gaming, in HD would be incredible, and i'm not even that big of a fan of the game.

The game is also the most iconic FF. I don't think many people could tell you the famous weapon Cecil or Zidane wields. Or all the names of the optional bosses or airships from other games. (well some could, but people know names like buster sword, Masamune, Emerald weapon, Highwind, knights of the round.) I have a friend who has never played more than a few hours of any final fantasy and he knows plot points of 7.

evil ways

6 has the better story, but 7 still holds a fond place in everybody's hearts. It was an event. It was like the changing of the old guard, from Nintendo dominance, to Playstation's rise as a serious contender.

btrboyev

I put well over 100 hours on FF 7. I enjoyed it back in the day, but I believe the only reason it deserves a remake is the game has aged terribly. That goes across the board from graphics to sound to story.

I wouldn't be surprised at some backlash with how much will be modified and people will scream that the remake was trash and wasn't worth the wait.? It will certainly be interesting on how they do it.

nOoblet16

It was the first FF that had a major release everywhere, and also the first JRPG that many people played. Nostalgia is really something, but I doubt it'd have been this strong were it not for the PS3 tech demo that square did like a decade ago.

It's also not the best FF, FF games are far too different and divided in fan base for one game to be the best.

Rupe

Neo Member
Besides nostalgia, by being the first Rpg for many people, I'd say the setting really stands out of the rest of the series.

All the reasons in this thread are correct for different people.

Personally, I love the characters and settings. It was also the last FF I really loved, outside of Tactics.

kswiston

I'm not even THAT into Final Fantasy, but Midgar is one of the coolest settings for a game ever. Such an incredible sense of atmosphere.

I liked how, just as you were getting comfortable in dark and dreary Midgar after 5-10 hours, you suddenly exit the city and realize you have a large and varied world to explore.

Illucio

Banned
- People's 1st RPG
- Critically acclaimed as one of the best games of all time (It always makes it to someone's top 100 games.)
- Graphics Aged Horribly
- Cool Cloud/Sephiroth from Kingdom Hearts made new Fans or people interested in a remake.
- Advent Children made people want better graphics
- Tech demo showed that better graphics game was possible.
- Crisis Core rekindled love for the series, and was also the first title in the series from some.

Just the first few things on the top of my head. The better question is to why the Final Fantasy 7 series is so popular when 6 was a much better game.

zennyzz

- People's 1st RPG
- Critically acclaimed as one of the best games of all time (It always makes it to someone's top 100 games.)
- Graphics Aged Horribly
- Cool Cloud/Sephiroth from Kingdom Hearts made new Fans or people interested in a remake.
- Crisis Core rekindled love for the series, and was also the first title in the series from some.

Just the first few things on the top of my head. The better question is to why the Final Fantasy 7 series is so popular when 6 was a much better game.

Several reasons really.

It's as been mentioned the first jprg many people have played.

Its also one of the landmark step ups for sony as an individual platform. Square breaking from Nintendo was a pretty big deal at the time.

And, despite what people may not be willing to accept.

FF7 was the first behemoth of a videogame market campaign. To this day, it's the third most expensive game ever made EVER. With the only games with bigger development budgets being CoD: MW2 and GTA V. Don't ever doubt the effects marketing can have on swaying opinions and wallets.

Then you have to consider the PS3 tech demo, one of the most elaborate ever done by Square in terms of presentation.
And then realize how poorly the game has aged graphically in comparison to its contemporaries
And finally that the FF7 compilation is the biggest and longest post game marketing any final fantasy has ever received.

Then you can realize why it's clamored for so much. It was a marketing juggernaut, it was one of sony's breakout titles when it was forming, it's been relentlessly marketed well after it's been finished and it's most people's first game, not even rpg.

And also FF6 was only really popular in America on top of being a bug riddled mess. And that's not counting that most folks introduction to FF6 was the ps1 port which released well after 7 and 8 and went up against 9.

Nameless

It's not just about nostalgia. FFVII was an instant classic with one of the best stories and casts gaming has ever seen. People never stopped wanting more from the universe. Square announced plans to remake the PSX 'trilogy' for PS2 starting with VII, and it stuck. If they'd flirted with the idea of making VII-2 for well over a decade you'd see the same response if it had finally been announced.

Xilium

While it's not my favorite of the franchise, I certainly see it as the most iconic. So on one hand, it's because of nostalgia and other the other, it's because it's the poster child of both the Final Fantasy franchise and Square(soft)Enix as a company.

I also think that it's the one (along with VIII) that would most benefit from a graphical overhaul.

And despite all the hate it gets now from some, it was and still is a beloved game (made evident by trailer reactions).

Alfredo

For me, it's mainly because controlling the game with a d-pad sucks. Give the game analog control, and it'll be way more playable.

Yasae

Banned
What FF7 did is raise the standards for presentation. There was nothing quite like it at the time (and if you disagree, feel free to name off some games).

People say its aged awfully, but meh. It was unrivaled at the time. The consistency of the presentation is what hasn't aged so well, namely the chibi field models and battle models, which also occasionally swap in FMVs. There's a sense that Square hadn't gotten down their process yet. This was refined greatly in subsequent games.

Ploid 3.0

- People's 1st RPG
- Graphics Aged Horribly

Also Square never held back using FF7 to make sells with other games.

iu3ooTf.jpg

tumblr_nj2zsj1SBq1r6m0ito1_1280.png

t7nbseS.png

Kingdom Hearts but that's more understandable.

They are probably done milking and want to sell the cow now.

I hear FF6 is the better game a lot but I never even knew FF games existed until I saw the FF7 demo in a Block Buster Kiosk. I was interested in that game from that point and made it my business to get it even though I had never even played a RPG. It felt so fresh.

flyover

For me, it's mainly because controlling the game with a d-pad sucks. Give the game analog control, and it'll be way more playable.
Yeah. I've replayed it on the PSTV (which allows you to remap controls), and it was so nice to be able to use the stick.

What pissed me off with VI is that we never know what happened between Locke and Celes in the end? Like do they hook up? Same with VII's ending. Like are Tifa and Cloud together or not?

zennyzz

What pissed me off with VI is that we never know what happened between Locke and Celes in the end? Like do they hook up? Same with VII's ending. Like are Tifa and Cloud together or not?

The Tifa and Cloud situation is much more obvious than the Locke and Celes situation.

Ploid 3.0

FFVII's had Advent Children and it seem like they are just good friends. Cloud is very messed up in the head it seemed.

What FF7 did is raise the standards for presentation. There was nothing quite like it at the time (and if you disagree, feel free to name off some games).

People say its aged awfully, but meh. It was unrivaled at the time. The consistency of the presentation is what hasn't aged so well, namely the chibi field models and battle models, which also occasionally swap in FMVs. There's a sense that Square hadn't gotten down their process yet. This was refined greatly in subsequent games.

Grandia was released in 97, also featuring FMVs to tell its story and fairly well done 3D environments at the time. It was late to the west, however.

Head.spawn

It was made on archaic hardware that didn't do 3d particularly well at all. Most early 3d games could benefit from an update to relevant hardware at the very least.

Yasae

Banned
Grandia was released in 97, also featuring FMVs to tell its story and fairly well done 3D environments at the time. It was late to the west, however.
It's the level of presentation, not the elements which are unique. Other games did FMVs - but very few had as many. Other games had nice backgrounds - but very few had as many.

It is essentially a budget thing.

Amon37

No other final fantasy for me has had "it" and I played them all starting with FF1 on nes when it first came out.

The only game that holds as much magic for me is xenogears. I honestly have a hard picking my favorite between the two.

No other final fantasy for me has had "it" and I played them all starting with FF1 on nes when it first came out.

The only game that holds as much magic for me is xenogears. I honestly have a hard picking my favorite between the two.

Shame Xenogears was incomplete thanks to budgeting issues.

royox

It was not my 1st FF
It was not my 1st JRPG
It's not even my fauvorite FF (VI is better and you all know that)

But it's the ugliest FF on EARTH. All the 2D FF are playable as 2D sprites aged well.

FFVIII and IX aged bad as PS1 games but they are still playable and the models of the characters at least look like humans (or rats...or wathever they are)
ff8-escenario.jpg

FFIX_Hilda.jpg

FFVII was THIS

rufus-shrug-ffvii.jpg

Even when it was released it was shit.

HeelPower

Yep.

Ten. Years. Ago.

And people were saying it looked like crap.

ee9Msmw.jpg

It looks amazing tbh.

Now that I think of it SE was bullshitting.There's no way a PS3 game can look this good.

I want to see this video in HD quality though.The video on YT is too old.

I don't think people were craving a remake until that PS3 tech demo was shown. Ever since then...

Edit: BEATEN

From my experience of the climate at the time, this is false. Around the time after the PS2 was first shown, actually, the remake discussions became very prevalent. In fact, the July 2003 EGM had a Quarterman rumor of a FFVII remake coming for PSP (which was the reason I bought a PSP day 1 - damn you ShaneB!) Our anticipation was instead met with the Compilation of FFVII announced a few months later at TGS.

To address the OP, I think FFVII's ambition was always short of it's reach and we knew that. In 1997 we KNEW those blocky characters looked dumb. Just think of how disjointed FFVII's presentation was. Most of the scenes were pantomimed by blocky polygons, then you have the battles with much better animated, higher quality models, and then STILL you have the CG models. This is a easy way to see how the player's gaze was always being drawn upwards hoping for more.

One common thing I always hear about FFVII from both casual admirers and big fans is that the setting is special and really atmospheric. I think everyone intuitively knew how much more that would hit home with a more believable and lived-in world on better hardware.

It's the level of presentation, not the elements which are unique. Other games did FMVs - but very few had as many. Other games had nice backgrounds - but very few had as many.

It is essentially a budget thing.

I don't know, I think Grandia was pretty above and beyond most other JRPGs at the time. But you're right, VII was on a different level.

To address the OP, I think FFVII's ambition was always short of it's reach and we knew that. In 1997 we KNEW those blocky characters looked dumb. Just think of how disjointed FFVII's presentation was. Most of the scenes were pantomimed by blocky polygons, then you have the battles with much better animated, higher quality models, and then STILL you have the CG models. This is a easy way to see how the player's gaze was always being drawn upwards hoping for more.

I think this is a compelling argument VII itself trained players to want more.

One of the greatest games of all time that was severely restricted by limitations of the hardware of the time. The game is beautiful but a remake has the potential to carry that beauty in to the modern age. Personally speaking I never returned to the game because of the limited graphics. A remake on modern hardware would remedy that,

sn00zer

Very interesting about the graphics never being able to truly describe that universe, not something Ive thought about. I think that is a very good interpretation of why people need a remake, and why FF7 is so revered. FF7 requires far more imagination to fill in the characters and enemies than any other Final Fantasy. The battles that take place require one hell of a leap in suspension of disbelief and a another leap in imagination to fill in the polygons. So everyone has their own perfect idea of how these characters really look. So I can understand the pining for a definitive answer to the universe and hopefully a confirmation of player's individual imagination.

NastyBook

It's still one of the best FFs I've ever played. I'm gonna go grab something to eat, then start a new game. Haven't played in ages.

Pagusas

Elden Member
People who keep saying the ps3 tech demo don't seem to realize there was a huge demand for a remake even during the PS2 days. There were always rumors for it.

Kaze Kyou

I'm more an FFVIII guy (FF8 remake, plz Squeenix??) but FF7 was just one of the pioneers of "cool" and "mature" gaming. While incredible games, the fantastical settings of FF1 to FF6 didnt help shatter the notion that video games were for kids.

Then bam, in comes the PlayStation with its futuristic-looking console and fancy FMV sequences. Along with it came FFVII, a futuristic game with a spiky-haired, long-sword wielding badass as its protagonist. Naturally, people were drawn to it and the kids who grew up playing 8-bit/16-bit consoles had become teenagers. They were looking for "cool" now.

I think that's also why Zelda Ocarina of Time is revered so much - it was released to the same maturing audience, and gamers immediately connected to the game as soon as they came out of the Temple of Time as adult Link.

entremet

People who keep saying the ps3 tech demo don't seem to realize there was a huge demand for a remake even during the PS2 days. There were always rumors for it.

Remember the PS2 FFVIII tech demo too?

And the N64 (Project Reality at the time) tech demo of FFVI?

I think that demo whetted the appetite for remakes.

For many it is:

1. Their first RPG.

2. First game where a major character died.

This is the standard catch-all comment posted in every bi-weekly FFVII gaf threads. But it's only trying to answer the question: Why do so many like FFVII? OP's actual question is more nuanced and decidedly not that.

Top Bottom