• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

Morue

Finally got mine this morning (could have received it yesterday but stupid delivery guy did not ring although I was home -_-).

Anyway, didn't have time to do much yet, just download and install a few updates but it is quiet for now (this is my 1st ps4 so I don't have any other element to compare, it is quieter than my ps3, and smaller too, which surprised me...)

Chronos24

Went to GameStop next door to my work today and they told me they do have the new model in stock finally. I'm from Tennessee so that truly confirms the new model is in NA. They said it is TLOU bundle with smaller box and no handle.

Morue

Wow, played a little bit of DMC4 SE and everything seemed fine. Then I loaded TLOU disc and the fan went crazy...

And the console gets indeed quite hot...

Man it's brand new... Not gonna last long if it's already like this at the beginning :(

I've been checking Target in Madison, WI, here in the US, but have yet to find a new model yet. They were sold out today. As it turns out, you shouldn't go looking for a video game console during college move-in week.

So I got a second 1200-model. During gameplay this one`s louder than most of the old revisions I heard. :-/
I think I`ll give it another try with the MGSV Edition. If this is going to be loud or beep like my first 1200-model I won`t buy another PS4.

BadWolf

Wow, played a little bit of DMC4 SE and everything seemed fine. Then I loaded TLOU disc and the fan went crazy...

And the console gets indeed quite hot...

Man it's brand new... Not gonna last long if it's already like this at the beginning :(

So I got a second 1200-model. During gameplay this one`s louder than most of the old revisions I heard. :-/
I think I`ll give it another try with the MGSV Edition. If this is going to be loud or beep like my first 1200-model I won`t buy another PS4.

What the fuck...

OCD Guy

. But honestly I do expect there to be people to still complain about fan noise once the new revision becomes more common and more people get their hands on them.

As I predicted a while back this revision isn't "The one" that some of us have been waiting for.

Sony have gone for form over function unfortunately. I would have been happier with a bigger console, and they could have made the "slim" the same size the PS4 is now.

I think sony is still doing the same mistake with thermal paste, check this out ( there are mroe videos in his channel )

some user reporting that new model is more hot and louder than 1116, others that it's quiet...

The second 1200-model I got sounded pretty much the same during gameplay...

I got one on release a few weeks ago and went through two of them.

The first one being much louder, as with any product there is going to be variance. God help anyone who get's one like my first one when they trade their cuh11xx or something in the hope of getting a quiet one.

It honestly sounded like a hair dryer. The replacement is much better, although it's still clearly audible. The xbox one is still quieter.

Chronos24

the strange thing is that my cuh-1216a is quiet but hot. ( my cuh-1004a is loud but not as hot) .

I watched the videos every comparison showed the 1200 to be quieter. I think he was just showing the temperature of his room. OCD guy did you happen to get some speeds on the SSD you ordered?

Oh come on. I already pre-ordered and paid for the MGSV LE console. Fucking bullshit communication from day one.

Might cancel this shit now.

Well, the pack shot Sony Europe released does clearly say "CUH-1116A" on it.

mwJx3c7.jpg

So it's looking like Asia will get the 1200 (Japanese MGSV site specifically states this), and Europe will get the old model. I assume Aus/NZ will be lumped into Europe, so i'll probably be getting a 1116A too. =(

Oh well. The only ray of hope is this disclaimer on the MGSV website:

pN1K4RX.jpg

Chronos24

Just went to a local ToysRus in the same city as the GameStop that had 1200 model. They had several 1200 models of TLOU in their case too so I'd say it's safe to assume we'll be seeing it everywhere very soon.

Guymelef

Well, the pack shot Sony Europe released does clearly say "CUH-1116A" on it.

mwJx3c7.jpg

So it's looking like Asia will get the 1200 (Japanese MGSV site specifically states this), and Europe will get the old model. I assume Aus/NZ will be lumped into Europe, so i'll probably be getting a 1116A too. =(

Oh well. The only ray of hope is this disclaimer on the MGSV website:

pN1K4RX.jpg

That's probably the first pic, before CUH-1200 announcement.

Amazon Spain updated the product page adding Spanish box art images this week.

Intel_89

A friend of mine already has one for one or two weeks, from Worten. I guess you have to order it

I got in touch with the store I went to today and they told me they aren't able to take any orders because they don't have any information about restocking this specific bundle.

I've played a lot of PvZ Garden Warfare and Saints Row 4, and the fan hasn't ramped up once yet. I'm loving it. I'll try some different games in the next few days.

I've done a little speed test with my gf's console (Arkham Bundle) and mine boots up about 4 seconds faster (with a 7200rpm WD Black). Again will try on games soon.

Also, I've experienced some improvements in my download speeds. Could just be because the new console isn't where the old one was, but dl speeds are better now on WiFi than they were on the 1116 on wired.

Perfectly happy with my purchase so far.

Loudninja

Oh, you're just jumping to conclusions. It's very safe to say that by November most if not all PS4 SKUs will be based on the newer revision.
Like I said they had the new model number in the blog post but then they removed it.

But you could be right.

Chronos24

Like I said they had the new model number in the blog post but then they removed it.

But you could be right.

Best Buy has the specific 1215a model on their website now in NA. Did we ever get some HDD benchmarks? Also I plan on upgrading when I switch mine out. What's a really good hard drive?

DCS

Banned
Had my UK unit for a few days now, it's definitely not silent but is much quieter than my launch model when playing a demanding game such as Driveclub, when you're just on the dashboard or streaming Netflix there is pretty much no sound like before - I'd say there is a slightly higher pitch to the noise that is there but you have to be right by the console to notice. I put the same 1tb SSD that I've had since 2013 into the 1216 and have noticed no performance difference. Matte looks much nicer but the buttons on the front look cheap as shit.

Probably not worth upgrading for 95% of people, IMO.

Resseh

Best Buy has the specific 1215a model on their website now in NA. Did we ever get some HDD benchmarks? Also I plan on upgrading when I switch mine out. What's a really good hard drive?
I would love to see benchmarks. I've already just swapped my black ps4 for a white one so probably shouldn't replace it yet but if the SSD speeds were improved by much ... Ate would be tempting

On Demand

Banned
Just got my PS4 and when i put destiny in it sounds like an electric shaver. very very very loud :(

Destiny? The game is not GPU intensive. The fan actually slows down when i play Destiny. It's quite. I have an 1100 model PS4.

interesting though not surprisng. I just dont think the form factor lends itself to a quiet console. Not yet anyways.

Damn. was hoping this would get resolved as I was thinking about getting the mgsV edition.

You have take into account everyones thoughts on what's loud and quite is different. Location of the PS4 and room temperature matters also.

But Destiny shouldn't be making any PS4 loud.

Chronos24

Mine is the EU model.

You don't have anything under the console do you? It could also be that the HDD cover is slightly loose. If you've got something under the console to prop it up (don't do that to begin with trust me its not worth it) then remove that or like I said try maybe removing and putting back the HDD cover

I don't think the noise levels have anything to do with one model vs the other. It depends on how it was put together by the builder. If you think the noise is too loud then swap it with a new one or send it in to Sony.

MQX

I don't know if gaffers with the 1200 model are also affected, but I've read on another forum that some white 1200 models have a little dent on the front :/.

A few examples what I'm trying to say:

Most of the conversation(on the other forum) are about the white 1200 models. So I don't know if the other models are also affected by this issue :/.

What I've also read, is that one member didn't saw the little dent. But when he felt on the front of his ps4, he felt a little dent. His PS4 was also a white 1200 model.

I want to ask the gaffers who bought a (white) 1200 model if they are also affected by this issue :/. Because on that other forum, they think this is some kind of manufacturing defect that has affected some(or most) of the (white) 1200 models.

Top Bottom