• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Sai

I've just started the
Final Preparations
quest. Surely I can't be far from the end now? (Though I might not finish yet as the reports of bugged trophies have me nervous).
There's a final series of short quests in Skellige afterwards, but yeah, you're close.

There are no related bugged quests, except maybe Reason of State, which just fails as soon as you start On Thin Ice. Fortunately, I got the related trophy during my first run through the game.

Hoodbury

Thanks for all the ploughing answers, I feel much better now knowing I can plough to my hearts content.

Another newbie question. Can I meditate as much as I want to? I just tried it for the first time the other night and learned it heals me to full health where before I was always eating a ton of stuff until I was healed up. But if I can just meditate after a fight then that just made things a lot easier.

Coreda

That's part of the quest that follows Carabet, its part of the investigation. Those are
dogs
on the other side.

I think that's a location you visit during the
serial killer
questline.

Interesting, can't remember that detail of the quest but thanks for the answers.

Roaming around with no armor feels so much more badass. It's like Geralt had breakfast and went outside to get the morning paper then went off sailing and casually killing anything that interrupts his little expedition. Also subtly ties in nicely with my ending.

NeoGiff

I forgot to mention something last night after finishing the game for the second time. It's a small detail that really made an impression on me.

I rushed through it on Death March just to clear up the trophies, and skipped the entire Cabaret quest-line. When the epilogue started up in the
Ciri as empress
ending,
Dandelion, Zoltan, Triss and Geralt were goofing around in the White Orchard tavern. I walked over to Dandelion and Zoltan and engaged in conversation. The topic changed to Priscilla being the love of Dandelion's life. Geralt asked how she was keeping. They said she was fine and recovering, after which Zoltan looked at Geralt and mentioned in passing that she had been attacked "around the time you were in Novigrad".

It's a tiny detail, but I really appreciated it because it was something I actively influenced by avoiding an inconsequential plotline earlier in the game.

Sai

You would think so. I cant find a Silver Sword diagram from one. Checked several.
Hrm. I've only bothered to craft Witcher gear, runes/glyphs, crossbow bolts, and the components for them, but I never had much trouble finding diagrams for weapons or armor.

Have you done much exploring? Even just around Velen? Seems odd that you're having so much trouble finding a silver sword diagram.

[EDIT] - Also, there are Witcher contracts; they usually drop a sword. Have you done any in Velen so far?

Denton

Screenshot of the day:

tumblr_ns5c8zsuxx1rx8bfo20.png

Ok, here's one more :p

attachment.php

weevles

Actually you can
plough both Yen and Triss too, with no negative consequences, if you're clever about it (in terms of timing and quests), so long as you don't tell them both that you love them. If you take that approach you'll end up with Triss in the ending.

Yes, I
had one last ride on the unicorn with Yen in Skellige before The Last Wish.

I finally finished the game last night.
I spammed dodge and quen a lot in the two boss fights lol.
My only complaint about the ending was
that other than Geralt and Ciri, most of it was just a voice over summary over static images. After a game that long, I was really hoping for some final cutscenes/CGI or even a chance to talk to the different characters who survived in real time.

demonkaze

Just got back to this game after putting it down for a while. What's a good, somewhat hybrid build for a first play through? I like using both signs (axii) and alchemy.

GeeTeeCee

Looks like I've run into my first ever bugged quests:

The Soldier Statuette -
I can talk to Triss to initiate the quest, we teleport to Triss' old hideout and then... nothing happens.

The Nobleman Statuette - I completed this quest about a month ago and now it's back in my active quest log. Can't do anything with it.

I might just wait for the next patch to sort this stuff (hopefully). I remember when I was worried I wouldn't get this game finished before Arkham Knight came out. Now I'm concerned I won't finish it before the Phantom Pain releases..

Denton

Looks like I've run into my first ever bugged quests:

The Soldier Statuette -
I can talk to Triss to initiate the quest, we teleport to Triss' old hideout and then... nothing happens.

The Nobleman Statuette - I completed this quest about a month ago and now it's back in my active quest log. Can't do anything with it.

I might just wait for the next patch to sort this stuff (hopefully). I remember when I was worried I wouldn't get this game finished before Arkham Knight came out. Now I'm concerned I won't finish it before the Phantom Pain releases..

these statuette quests are the shortest in the game, you are not missing much.
That said, I also thought mine was bugged, but I talked to Triss much later in the game and was able to finish it.

Hrm. I've only bothered to craft Witcher gear, runes/glyphs, crossbow bolts, and the components for them, but I never had much trouble finding diagrams for weapons or armor.

Have you done much exploring? Even just around Velen? Seems odd that you're having so much trouble finding a silver sword diagram.

[EDIT] - Also, there are Witcher contracts; they usually drop a sword. Have you done any in Velen so far?

I will check out some contracts. Did a couple. Think I got steel swords. Thanks fo the tip.

GravyButt

Man the main quest
for triss in novigrad when you first find her then it leads you to find dandelion
is unbelievably tedious and boring. Yikes just watched the musical, please tell me that quest is over soon. Hate the cities haha

Jinjo

Man the main quest
for triss in novigrad when you first find her then it leads you to find dandelion
is unbelievably tedious and boring. Yikes just watched the musical, please tell me that quest is over soon. Hate the cities haha

The mainquest slogs a bit at that point yeah, but keep playing, stuff picks up rather quickly. Don't stay in Novigrad too long. Around lv 15-16 just take a boat to Skellige.

Finished the game tonight, took me over 100 hours spread over the course of two months. Honestly one of the best gaming experiences I've had. What an encompassing story and world. I got
Ciri becomes a Witcher
ending, which I thought was really cool and a nice closure to the Geralt story.

Will wait for NG+ DLC and then replay. My Geralt was a mixed built with some sword skills, mainly for building adrenaline & some extra fast attack damage & fleet footed. 3 points in Alchemy for higher toxicity treshold is a must. Makes potions & decoctions so much more viable already. Pumped the rest in Igni, Yrden, Quen & Axii combined with the Rage Management & Griffin Armor skills that made for a really fun build. Rocked the Wolf Armor throughout as that seemed to complement that build well. Might go for a swordfighter/alchemy build for my NG+ DM playthrough. Not sure whether to go light or heavy yet.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm pretty sure that's how you're supposed to play it. Witcher 1 and 2 Geralt collected an entire gallery worth of conquests. Witcher 3 Geralt seems to have mellowed with age.

Hardly any age difference between 1 and 3 though is there? Especially for a Witcher, they don't quite age the same way regular humans do :p

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm crazy but the Novigrad portion was my favorite part of the entire game. Roaming around the wilderness is fine and all, but it all gets samey after a while. Tons of games out there where you roam around fantasy grasslands. Exploring a fully featured medieval city though, that's different. I'm currently playing on Death March and I couldn't wait to get done with the Velen quests as quickly as possible so I could get to Novigrad.

The Novigrad quests are also much more interesting with a lot more variety IMO. You've got (mid-game quest spoilers)
quests in the sewers, a ball to attend at a luxurious mansion, an assassination plot to get involved in, a tavern to renovate, interactions with the Church of the Eternal Fire, an entire undercurrent involving the treatment of mages, serial killers to hunt down, a civil war between gangs to get involved in, etc.
So much interesting and unique stuff happens in Novigrad whereas I found the rest of the game to be more paint-by-numbers fantasy RPG fare.

ebevan91

Yeah I loved the break from the big open world while I was in Novigrad. Best city I've ever seen in a game, even if it's not as big as some other cities in games.

GravyButt

Yea it might just be this particular quest in Novigrad that's really leaving a sour taste. Running back n forth was getting boring and annoying. Especially since it had you backtracking everytime. Really been my only quest so far I have disliked. Hopefully the rest of the Novigrad stuff is better.

Have any Gafs of Rivia had any trouble with this game going to Windows 10? I'm playing through GOG Galaxy and planning on sticking to a normal upgrade. but I wanted to see if there were a wealth of issues with updates before going through with it.

Have any Gafs of Rivia had any trouble with this game going to Windows 10? I'm playing through GOG Galaxy and planning on sticking to a normal upgrade. but I wanted to see if there were a wealth of issues with updates before going through with it.

I had zero issues playing Witcher 3 on Win10 for a while. Well, an older save did get corrupted during the upgrade I guess (just listed error, no file name), but I had everything backed up anyway.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I upgraded to Windows 10 today and just got done playing Witcher 3 for about 3 hours. Runs pretty smoothly, a little smoother than it did on 8.1 (although I didn't test framerates, it just felt a little smoother).

danowat

Banned
Ok, so I am assume that the quest
Gwent : Old pals
is bugged?, I went to
Roche
in his
hide out
to start the quest line and I can speak to him :-(

RedAssedApe

Banned
oh god...why won't this game end.
thought kaer morhen would be the last bit
...and now i'm doing more fetch quests around novegrad. think this game has run its course for me. no more side quests...just trying to blow through the rest of the story. feels like a slog now...

is bugged?, I went to
Roche
in his
hide out

My memory is a little hazy, but I think that quest is finicky about the order that you play the opponents in. Is the quest asking you to play
Roche
next? Have you played
Thaler
yet?

Jinjo

is bugged?, I went to
Roche
in his
hide out

Continue playing. Gotta finish the Triss quests and Dead Plot mission after that first. Then you can talk to him again. Ran into the same problem.

danowat

Banned
Continue playing. Gotta finish the Triss quests and Dead Plot mission after that first. Then you can talk to him again. Ran into the same problem.

I got a
jade figurine from the dwarf guys stash upstairs when looking for the last gwent card for the Zivhay card mission
, is that part of the Triss mission?

My memory is a little hazy, but I think that quest is finicky about the order that you play the opponents in. Is the quest asking you to play
Roche
next? Have you played
Thaler
yet?

Yes, it's asking me to play
Roche
, I.ve already played
Thaler after the Deadly plot mission

Jinjo

I got a
jade figurine from the dwarf guys stash upstairs when looking for the last gwent card for the Zivhay card mission
, is that part of the Triss mission?

Nah, it's just Triss' main missions, the plot with the Sorceress' Lodge. After that it gave me the Deadly Plot mission and when I finished that it seemed to reset Roche for me. But it seems you already finished that one too. So I don't know what else you can do.

I also know the Skellige's Most Wanted contract is glitched. The monster you face at the end won't physically die after patch 1.07. So avoid that one too.

News Bot

Banned
Is there any way to get the Ghosts of the Past quest after already finishing The Fall of House Reardon?

I let Letho live in TW2 and imported by save but got absolutely no indication there was another quest, I saw no traps at any point and fought the monsters in the manor.

dreamfall

Well, after much dedication and 120+ hours, I just finished the Main Quest. It was so good. So many days of seeing this through to the end! The quality of the writing was incredible throughout, the character development was incredible. This is sincerely one of the best games I’ve played ever in my life, and I just feel fortunate to have experienced it. Ending Spoilers
Ciri became the Empress! That was wild, and I had no idea my choices would reflect that! And I never strayed from my #TeamYen4eva roots, she and Geralt were off enjoying each other, far away from politics. Roche freed Temeria, it shall never die!

Every little bit of this game I loved (except Roach’s ever insistent need to not gallop when I needed her to!). Gah, emptiness settling in. Ursine armor was my favorite by the end, though all the Witcher armors I really liked. Grizzly, bearded, long hair don’t care Geralt. So much love for CDPR! Thanks for making the summer grand.

Steam achievements were bugged, which makes me sad. But it was everything, so that's alright.

I bought this on day one but due to exams have not yet started.

I have it on PS4, is now a good time to start? Or should I wait for more patches?

Coreda

Going for an all white styled equip. Wish Geralt could Axii other horses to become Roach, then I'd find a matching horse :)

Since Stashes were introduced I've also been keeping and buying back the interesting swords I found. D'yaebl is probably the most unique in the collection. Anyone else have swords they prefer over the Witcher gear?

Ushay

Just finished the game on Death March, also happens to be my first playthrough.

Good lord that was a great game. Witcher 3 has become my favourite game of all time when it comes to RPG. The writing was incredible, with some real human interactions. The world felt gritty and suitably realistic.

I think CDP have set the standard in AAA RPG storytelling and gameplay, and I hope all the other studios follow suite and work hard to beat this standard.

oh god...why won't this game end.
thought kaer morhen would be the last bit
...and now i'm doing more fetch quests around novegrad. think this game has run its course for me. no more side quests...just trying to blow through the rest of the story. feels like a slog now...

All I can do is laugh. Why do the side quests if you don't want to do them and wear yourself out?

Actually I've seen the script for that quest leaked, I thought they must have left it unfinished and cut it, but I can't believe it's that complete, wonder why they took it out.

zeox

quick question on some problems I'm having with the pc version. the display drivers keep crashing (i have a 970). Anyone else experience this? if so, how to fix? any drivers to roll back to that work?

Terra_Ex

Someone discovered a complete, unused omlette making sidequest with Geralt during the Trial of the Grasses quest in Kaer Morhen. Video.

Ha, a shame that didn't make it in. Hopefully mods will restore it in the future.

quick question on some problems I'm having with the pc version. the display drivers keep crashing (i have a 970). Anyone else experience this? if so, how to fix? any drivers to roll back to that work?
I had a brief period of this myself with my 970, wiped & clean installed the drivers and that didn't help. What eventually did remedy it was playing in full screen exclusive mode, the default borderless mode kept causing the crashes for me after a certain patch.

Coreda

Only had this happen a couple times but I think setting custom fan curves in Afterburner helped. Boosted the fan speed more than the default at the 60-80 degree range.

zeox

Only had this happen a couple times but I think setting custom fan curves in Afterburner helped. Boosted the fan speed more than the default at the 60-80 degree range.

thanks, I'll give it a try :)

I had a brief period of this myself with my 970, wiped & clean installed the drivers and that didn't help. What eventually did remedy it was playing in full screen exclusive mode, the default borderless mode kept causing the crashes for me after a certain patch.
hmm, that actually makes sense, as I recently switched to borderless mode.

thanks for these suggestions, now I have a small glimmer of hope :D

Top Bottom