• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Older games (pre-patch era) that had game breaking bugs?

Audioboxer

Considering this weeks controversy yet again includes another title shipped broken, I thought we would take a trip down memory lane.

I can't really remember having many issues with bugs or glitches as a kid as games did seem to ship in a good state 99% of the time, but there must be a few out there.

Did anything that shipped on disc or cartridge before we had the ability to download 15GB patches come with freezes, game breaking bugs or any other oddities? If so, what can you all remember?

Madao

depending on what you do, Ocarina of Time has some glitches that can crash your console and other glitches that can leave your file uncompletable.

it's all stuff you have to do on purpose though. it has very little accidental game breaking things.

The Vectrex (1980 game console with its own built-in vector display) has a built-in asteroids-like game (mine storm) that crashes on level 13. From the Wiki:

There are at least three versions of the game; the original U. S. release contains the infamous level 13 bug, where the game would crash and end if a player is able to clear out this level. An extra printed sheet was added to the instructions of a later version advising players to press the reset button if their Vectrex screen went blank after clearing this level. Also, a Mine Storm 2 cartridge was made available for free upon request for Vectrex owners who wrote to GCE, which was bug-free, although it had many additional Mine Fields added and changes in the order of the Mines that appear (the Magnetic Mines make their debut during the second level, unlike the third on the second version of the game). This is one of the most rare and sought after Vectrex cartridges nowadays.

SparkTR

Wasn't really pre-patch era but on release it was almost impossible to play through Elder Scrolls 2 Daggerfall without running into massive bugs and glitches. Falling through floors were common whenever you moved around in a house. They released patches but internet penetration in 1996 wasn't the greatest so tons of people had a near unplayable game.

Cannon room glitch in TLoZ: Twilight Princess.

And does memory card erasing bug in Viewtiful Joe demo for PS2 counts?

Skyward Sword had a gamebreaking bug but in a way it was able to be 'patched' so I don't know if it counts.

Well, that "patch" does not patch the game itself but fixes the broken save data so I don't know.

Koren

Did anything that shipped on disc or cartridge before we had the ability to download 15GB patches come with freezes, game breaking bugs or any other oddities? If so, what can you all remember?
Several...

E. g., Japanese Star Ocean on PS2 had a freezing glitch on original japanese consoles because of a bug in Sony's internal libs for example, making the game unplayable. They had to ship the game again:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/enix-fixes-star-ocean-3-bug-reships-game/1100-6023327/

jimi_dini

There was an actual game breaking glitch in the original Leisure Suit Larry 5 release.

In one of the cities, there were adverts for a green card service and a limo service. If you called the green card service first, you got green card + taxi at the same time. If you then not call the limo service as well, it was possible to get to the target place, but you didn't know the limo service telephone number to get back to the airport.

And if you looked the telephone number up and tried it that way, the game actually created an "Oops, you did something we weren't expecting" error and exit.

The original King's Quest 5 release on floppy even had a totally broken resource file, which caused the game to crash during the ending. Which means it was not possible to actually beat it.

And then there also was Naughty Dog's Jak X. Which corrupted memory cards on certain PS2 revisions (*cough* mine) and was effectively unbeatable/unplayable because of that. They didn't even bother to fix it for the Platinum release.

SuomiDude

I remember hearing about some glitch/bug in Space Station Silicon Valley for N64, so you couldn't finish the game or at least finish the game 100%. That made me not want to buy the game, although I was otherwise interested in it back then.

Fasty

tmnt-dos-14.png

Impossible jump early in the game. And tbe turtles were the biggest thing in tbe world at tbe time too. The problem was there was no internet back then, so I was never sure why I couldn't make it, and if I was supposed to find another way across that led to days and days of wasted attempts

Initial versions of WWF No Mercy on the N64 could randomly wipe your progress because of a bug. They did release a fixed version later though.

The Twilight Princess Cannon room, if you saved in it. Basically, there was no way out but warping, and Midna would refuse to warp because the NPC could see you, even if you hid behind the cannon. Although I swear people found a spot in the room that let you escape.

There was apparently a way to save past a bridge without actually rebuilding it, which could also cause you to be stuck.

Some versions of Impossible Mission could spawn some of the code piece pickups in places you couldn't reach, either randomly, or in the case of the Atari 7800 version, always. They didn't even put out a fixed version of the 7800 release, according to Wiki.

I remember hearing about some glitch/bug in Space Station Silicon Valley for N64, so you couldn't finish the game or at least finish the game 100%. That made me not want to buy the game, although I was otherwise interested in it back then.

I think you could enter a button code to get what it unlocked, but yes, there was a collectible with no active collision, so you just passed through it without picking it up.

Every topic that talks about bugs has to have that Deus Ex PS2 port.

tl;dr, that shit would require a formatted memory card, and if you selected "no", it'd go ahead and do it randomly anyway and wipe your shit.

Lost a nearly complete FFX runthrough :(

Teeth

The first couple pressings of Final Fantasy 3 (6) in North America had a game breaking glitch if you used Relm's Sketch command extensively. It didn't even need to be on an invisible enemy, it would just glitch up your entire save.

Mostly, you'd just end up with an endless list of weird things in your inventory (including entries that would just say FLAG) and it could corrupt your character sprites. It would also often kill your game progress permanently because it would rewrite the game state flags internally to some non-viable state.

A friend of mine told me that he resurrected General Leo and got him in his party, but it was just him playing the game over and over, doing the glitch and hoping the memory corruption would replace the sprites of one of his characters with General Leo (and it eventually did).

The later runs of the cartridge fixed that glitch, but you could still get your game to bug out if you used Sketch on an invisible enemy. It could even corrupt your save to make unrecoverable! Awesome!

Still the best FF though.

Also, I think Stumpakopow has a list of 10-12 Nintendo games over various systems that had game breaking bugs in them that Nintendo had to issue weird fixes for. Can't find that post right now.

EDIT:
tmnt-dos-14.png

Impossible jump early in the game. And tbe turtles were the biggest thing in tbe world at tbe time too. The problem was there was no internet back then, so I was never sure why I couldn't make it, and if I was supposed to find another way across that led to days and days of wasted attempts

This jump is totally possible and not a bug in any way. [Double EDIT: Didn't know about the PC version, apparently it is impossible there] It killed me dozens of times as a kid and it wasn't until I grew up that I realized you can make that jump 100% of the time by just tapping the jump button to do a mid-jump instead of holding it to somersault. If your turtle rolls into a ball, you're using the wrong jump.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Just look up speed runs for mario 64 n zelda oft will show older games had huge bugs

Myth II stock edition would overwrite your entire drive if you wrote it straight to C:\

They had to recall the game so I think this counts? It did get patched of course.

Sega Dreamcast console allowing you to boot code via CD-ROM due to BIOS code left in by devs. No firmware updates there. Not a game breaking bug but a financial breaking one perhaps. Then again, it DID let the console have a homebrew scene that lasts to today.

Mass One

From what I recalled in a Spoony Vid. Ultima 8 had some game breaking bugs and some broken mechanics. Back then, I guess, you would dial a bbs and download a fix to a couple floppies.

Alphahawk

Goldeneye 007:Saving Siminova on the train, even the guide I consulted essentially said that it was a matter of luck if she would follow you out of the train before it explodes.Also this was before mid level checkpoints in FPS's became common place. You could essentially clear every single objective, kill every single character but if you caught Siminova on a bad time, you had to do it all over again.

OT,but why do people make warnings for TVTropes?
Because it's a very, very time consuming website. Thankfully I went through these pages a few weeks back so I don't need to do it again for a while, but it's easy to have lots of tabs open and lots of time wasted.

Anyway, when it comes to games with bugs it wouldn't go amiss to mention Final Fantasy VI. An amazing game, but buggy as all hell. Even the later releases of the game didn't fix the bugs, just kind of smooth them over

Mets9

Digimon world on ps1, the EU version had different bugs that would prevent you from progressing in the "story".
And on the US version using the jukebox in town would feeeze the game.
Also, FF9, accessing the gold chocobo and the chocobo paradise early would make you skip a good part of the story and lock dagger in the permanent " post bahamuth" state.

Fasty

This jump is totally possible and not a bug in any way. It killed me dozens of times as a kid and it wasn't until I grew up that I realized you can make that jump 100% of the time by just tapping the jump button to do a mid-jump instead of holding it to somersault. If your turtle rolls into a ball, you're using the wrong jump.

mind-blown.gif

There are YouTube videos dedicated to glitches that allow you to bypass this "broken" section

This jump is totally possible and not a bug in any way. It killed me dozens of times as a kid and it wasn't until I grew up that I realized you can make that jump 100% of the time by just tapping the jump button to do a mid-jump instead of holding it to somersault. If your turtle rolls into a ball, you're using the wrong jump.

It's the PC version, and AFAIK, in this port, the jump is impossible.

Alphahawk

Dead Rising 1 may qualify. Even though the 360 could patch games the tiny text was hardwired into the game, meaning that Capcom couldn't figure out a way to ever patch in bigger text. The problem with this is that the only way to progress through some of the games tougher bosses is to do side missions which you would be unable to know about if you were playing on an SDTV.

KingBroly

Banned
tmnt-dos-14.png

The only version of this game I have ever played is the old big floppy disk style (And I still have them!). I don't know what sorcery this is.

Several...

E. g., Japanese Star Ocean on PS2 had a freezing glitch on original japanese consoles because of a bug in Sony's internal libs for example, making the game unplayable. They had to ship the game again:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/enix-fixes-star-ocean-3-bug-reships-game/1100-6023327/
I don't know if this is somewhat related, but I've never been able to finish Star Ocean 3 (EU) because of a freezing bug. I always assumed it was just an emulation problem (I was playing it on back-compatible launch model PS3

There was a glitch in Turok Rage Wars N64 where you would always fail a mission in one level and so you couldn't progress any further, the only way to fix this would be to send in your cart to Acclaim and they would send you a replacement. Although for whatever reason I never sent in my copy to replace, but I do have a gameshark so I should see if that will let me complete it.

And according to a website the copy they would send back to you would be a grey cart as opposed to the original black cart and since not many people knew about this and since acclaim didn't want to do a recall the grey cart is going for a high price

The Conduit's online multiplayer.

Ahhh, the good old days where you could weapons glitch a SMAW rocket launcher to fire like an MP5. PEWPEWPEWPEWPEWPEW.

Servers were crazy, it was awesome, but the winner was basically who could glitch it first...

Not exactly game breaking but space station silicon valley on n64 you were unable to get 100%

MSR on the dreamcast had first print issues where the drivers arms would not load in, you could lose a championship and still progress and there was also issue with some unlocks.

Jak X pretty much corrupted on everyone's memory card if not corrupting other data with it on it's original release.

Also, not technically a game, but wasn't there an issue with a PS2 Viewtiful Joe demo corrupting memory cards?

Ferrio

Banned
One of the recent Card Fighter's Clash game had a game breaking bug, couldn't complete the game or something. They had to reissue carts to everyone.

Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 2, Skyward Sword, and Other M all had game ending bugs. There was a save file patcher tool for Skyward Sword and you could mail in your SD card (fucking incredible) for Other M, but I'd say both count.

jimboton

Plenty of games from the 8 bit computer era couldn't be completed. I can't think of any console examples from the cartridge era though.

KAP151

Prince of Persia on Gamecube.

It fucked my whole save file.

Funnily enough, ive never really forgiven Ubisoft for that and have bought little from them since.

Pandy

Yup, there was one bonus item that you couldn't collect. Drove me mad trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, before I eventually put the game to the side, 99.whatever% complete. Great game otherwise, but that's pretty much the only reason I see it mentioned now on GAF. :(

Kouriozan

Digimon World PS1, PAL version, Ogremon Fortress. There are Agumons that are supposed to move once you defeat Ogremon once, but in the PAL version, they never do it.
I love this game so much and it'll bother me all my live that I couldn't 100% it.

Maledict

I remember downloading a patch from a BBS for Frontier First Encounters.

For a large number of people the game was broken from the start - it wouldn't load fully and just crashed. It was a dreadfully bugged game even considering other PC games at the time.

The PAL version of crazy taxi 3 on Xbox springs to mind, the audio was a mess with customer chatter just having a mind of its own... Totally ruined the game.

Pandora's tower had the game froze if you got out the light and darkness before completing them and the way around it was really random...

Top Bottom