• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Chronicles (physical) coming to Vita, PS4 and Xbone November 19th?

oldmario

portada19198.jpeg
portada19199.jpeg

TBz7AHA.png

Vita listing
PS4 listing
xbox one listing

surprised if Ubisoft was bringing this to the Vita considering it's not even on last gen

Assassinate me if already posted

China,India, and Russia? Did I miss an announcement or something?

Edit. Apparently I did. That's why I get for never playing Unity even though I got it for free.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I somehow doubt the Vita announcement. It's Unreal Engine 3 which doesn't work particularly well on the Vita.

Downloaded this at release.

Really didn't like it. It felt like bad Mark of the Ninja. I was really excited because it seemed like it streamlined the gameplay, but the acts of controlling your character and performing actions felt so cumbersome.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I somehow doubt the Vita announcement. It's Unreal Engine 3 which doesn't work particularly well on the Vita.

Why is that?

It runs pretty good on mobile, and the Vita is very similar... strides for optimizations could have been made. MK ran really well, though the characters looked horrendous, but the backgrounds were nice.

If the latter two parts turn out to be good and the Vita port isn't awful then I'm sold. Never played Mark of the Ninja so I'll have nothing to compare it to which should hopefully be a positive. Hope it's not just codes, though.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Quite frankly I hope they use that as the artwork if this is real. I never played the first part, did the game run in 60fps? I could never get an answer for that.

JoshHood

Climax have done a bunch of Vita ports from other engines already, and they developed Smart As... for Vita using UE3.

Will get it for Vita. Valiant Hearts Vita next please Ubisoft!

I'm still really surprised that hasn't happened.

Quite frankly I hope they use that as the artwork if this is real.

Given it's Ubisoft, it'll be exactly like that, but they'll have put one of the guys front and centre instead.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why is that?

It runs pretty good on mobile, and the Vita is very similar... strides for optimizations could have been made. MK ran really well, though the characters looked horrendous, but the backgrounds were nice.
Let me correct myself.

UE3 itself is very usable on Vita.

Full on console games made with UE3, however, do not fare so well. The types of UE3 games on mobile are typically more simplistic titles.

Mortal Kombat and Injustice both ran well but required massive reduction in asset quality and a lower resolution. Plus, they are fighting games within a confined space.

I fear more ambitious titles wouldn't work well on Vita. Borderlands 2, for instance, is a MUCH more demanding UE3 title than anything available in the mobile space. It ran awful on Vita and I don't blame the port house for it.

Tizoc

Will def. pick this up on Vita if performance is good. Although I do hope it's all 3 games in 1 cart or at least 2 in 1 cart :p
How big was the game on PC again?

CamHostage

Let me correct myself.

UE3 itself is very usable on Vita.

Full on console games made with UE3, however, do not fare so well. The types of UE3 games on mobile are typically more simplistic titles.

Mortal Kombat and Injustice both ran well but required massive reduction in asset quality and a lower resolution. Plus, they are fighting games within a confined space.

Well, now, wait, you're basing that on observation and not technical experience with the console, right? I've not seen a breakdown of why exactly UE3 has been a weak point on Vita, but it seems like there's more to it than just "too weak." I've seen some UE3 usage that's pretty good, and the fact that the Netherrealm games run at 60 on an engine that's not really keen on 60 on a platform that's not really keen on that engine is impressive despite the compromises.

In any case, original developer Climax Studios has a pretty good track record in my book with Vita conversions (Dead Nation, Resogun,) and I imagine AC Chronicles was likely built around this plan. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if Chronicles did in fact come out as a mobile product as well as a console game.

Wait Vita is actually getting some western AAA titles finally? Though vita was an odd choice considering its not even on last gen, wonder how they'll even get it to work on there.

Wait Vita is actually getting some western AAA titles finally? Though vita was an odd choice considering its not even on last gen, wonder how they'll even get it to work on there.

It is easier to port a PS4 game to Vita than PS3 to Vita, I believe. I don't know why or how, but I've read this repeatedly.

That doesn't mean it's a walk in the park, but I have read it is relatively low cost and usually not very demanding.

Circinus

This is not really AAA (though I don't think a clear, industry-standardized definition of 'AAA' exists, which makes it confusing).

But yeah, PS Vita is getting a lot of games either way.

CamHostage

Climax (the developer on the Assassin's Creed Chronicles games) has done a bunch of Vita work in Smart As and porting Resogun and Dead Nation, so perhaps they said, "So if you also want a Vita product at the end of the production cycle for these three mini games, we can do that too."

As far as last-gen and current gen and "power", though, that's an old notion that console lines break down like that. The old leap of tech isn't there in the same way, where every new platform is its own beast unlike anything previous. There's just more power now, and more possibility to graft new features or push new functionality onto established engines and approaches to technology. A PS4/XBONE game can easily get into the realm of "next-gen power" with global illumination and complex physical simulations and everything else that is being explored with next-gen engines or platform-specific engines or or even updates of established engines, but sometimes, you just make the game and don't worry about all of that.

And the AC Chronicles products are those types of games: nice little 2.5D action platformers that look good despite being done affordably on a common engine.

It is easier to port a PS4 game to Vita than PS3 to Vita, I believe. I don't know why or how, but I've read this repeatedly.

It depends on the game, but PS3 was a freaky architecture, whereas modern platforms like PS4 and Vita share a lot of similarities unless you really need to dig into them. General use cases, it's more a matter of scale and speed than it is architectural differences. PS4 could land aircraft in its memory spaces while Vita might only have room to park a sedan, but in the end, if you've got enough room to get the job done then that's enough.

Rayman Origins/Legends are already on vita, so the engine is ready.

Rayman was on the UbiArt engine, Climax used Unreal Engine 3 for AC Chronicles.

But either way, most signs point to it being a doable conversion if these leaks prove true. (Not sure what's taking Ubisoft so long...)

Shauni

I think the only one I have any real interest in is the China one. Russia and India settings are...eh, I don't know, don't dig it too much. I'm just going to get China for $5 on the One right now and call it at that.

Springy

I think the only one I have any real interest in is the China one. Russia and India settings are...eh, I don't know, don't dig it too much. I'm just going to get China for $5 on the One right now and call it at that.

India looked gorgeous in the trailer. It's definitely the one of the three I'm most curious about.

Collection is good. I was debating buying China in the XBL sale but will hold out now.
Still waiting on current-gen Rogue.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Why is the guy on the left holding a toilet seat?

(Please be gentle with me)
Arbaaz Mir. was the main character of the latest comic, the Russian on the right was one of the main characters of the "The Fall" and "The Chain." comics.

Top Bottom