• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we please talk about how Sonic Runners, a kids game, lets you gamble with money?

TimmiT

bkPSgpn.png

So this roulette wheel in Sonic Runners is the only way to get extra characters and companions (little creatures/objects that fly along side you and give you bonus effects). The golden egg on top that you only have a 6% chance of getting is the only one that lets you unlock a character. You can't get or buy any of these items separately either. The only way to get them is by spending red rings this roulette wheel.

You can get red rings by playing the game, but it'll take a while until you can get 50 of them. The other way to get these red rings is of course by paying for them with real money, and last I checked the amount you need to pay to get about 50 rings is somewhere around €4. So that's already a pretty big price for one spin of a roulette wheel that gives you a very small chance of a character you might want, and a big chance of a random companion that you probably don't want.

Of course, this is all a really shitty thing to put in just about any game, but what boggles my mind is that this somehow made it's way into a Sonic game. A game that's targeted at kids. It's almost as if SEGA is trying to make this happen. It makes me wonder if this is even allowed. Did nobody at SEGA point out that this is a terrible idea? I mean, this almost seems worse than trying to sell kids Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
It's the nature of the free to play games unfortunately. It's a shame because the game is semi enjoyable but the fact that unlocking cool content comes down to rng, well, I stopped playing.

bigkrev

Seems no more insidious than any other game with a gatcha mechanic, just way more straightforward and less obfuscated. It looks refreshing, actually.

Takao

Banned
It's scummy, but tactics like that aren't uncommon in free-to-play games. I've seen plenty that have slot machines unlock something good through IAP or intense grinding.

R00bot

Most mobile games have something along those lines, baffling, I know, but not new. They're mostly targeted towards kids as well.

Nyoro SF

I think I've said this before, but there's no way this won't get regulated down the line. You are literally gambling in every sense of the word with a system like this.

Ferrio

Banned
Welcome to mobile gaming? I mean a lot of the most popular games are just thinly veiled gambling. These games use terms like "whales" or "pull" both which are originally gambling definitions. Sad to see Sonic has been reduced to it though.

Didn't Japan ban certain implementations of this?

http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/j...gacha-practice-illegal-in-social-games/525608

As widely anticipated, Japan’s Consumer Affairs Agency has officially declared kompu gacha illegal. According to a report in the Yomiuri Shimbun, any developers using the controversial monetization mechanic in their games after July 1 will be subject to fines.

Kompu gacha, or “complete gacha” is a monetization mechanic in social games that heavily incentivizes the practice of gacha — paying a small amount of money to get an item at random, similar to purchasing toys from a vending machine.

Adaren

It may be common in free-to-play games, but that doesn't make it any less repulsive.

This is a massive turn-off to me and (I imagine) to most people. I suspect that SEGA's hoping to make most of their profits by exploiting "whales", who may very well be children.

Damn, I thought you meant real gambling was in game. That would be crazy. Just drinking Old Milwaukee and blowing your paycheck on Sonic Runners.

I gambled for charizard when ever I bought Pokémon cards as a kid. It's kind of the same. Not really a new exploit on a younger audience at all.

It's scummy by all means don't get me wrong.

Damn, I thought you meant real gambling was in game. That would be crazy. Just drinking Old Milwaukee and blowing your paycheck on Sonic Runners.

A roulette wheel is gambling...?

The unfortunate thing is that the game was much more free with things like Red Rings originally. It was possible to get very far in the game without spending a dime. For the worldwide release, they made it a lot more... Free-to-Start.

Ferrio

Banned
I gambled for charizard when ever I bought Pokémon cards as a kid. It's kind of the same. Not really a new exploit on a younger audience at all.

It's scummy by all means don't get me wrong.

It's not the same.

Retail cards had more value since they could be resold/traded. You could also find locations/people to buy trade for particular cards, and not just rely on luck of the draw. A digital card game would be a more appropriate comparison, but even something as restrictive as Hearthstone allows you to craft specific cards.

It's not the same.

Retail cards had more value since they could be resold. You could also find locations/people to buy trade for particular cards, and not just rely on luck of the draw. A digital card game would be more appropriate, but even something as restrictive as Hearthstone allows you to craft specific cards.

Very very true point, didnt think of that.

Gah, whale hunting. I only played Sonic Runners during its soft launch, but does anyone know whether these extra characters are the sort of thing only completionists/really engaged players would be bothered about?

I'm really interested to see how Nintendo plans to not resort to this kind of thing with their five mobile games. Iwata said they will aim "wide and small" rather than "narrow and large", referring to how he wants their games to bring in a more evenly distributed amount of revenue from a larger number of players.

Tybolt

Banned
I'm really butthurt that I haven't unlocked Classic Sonic yet either, OP.

Also really annoyed that it's possible to miss the Premium Currency Rings when Robotnik drops them, that's total bullshit.

I much prefer the way that final fantasy record keeper does it.

The rare item system you pay money or rare currency for ijust makes the game easier. You can still level up characters and vbeat the game without it.

And I can easily get one rare pull per day for free by just playing battles.

This shit in op is just greedy scum.

Fisty

So its the EA system, spend a bit of time grinding credits to purchase a "grab bag" or just throw down cash and get the same random crap.

Really depends on the time to grind red rings i suppose. Doesnt make it any less troublesome though.

Pizza

Sounds like run-of-the-mill F2P.

Still shitty

Yep. I'm going to hope my kid is into "real" games, and ill happily buy them a game boy/ds/3ds/whatever new handheld if they'd like that.

I'd rather my kid "get" the value of a videogame rather than encourage any sort of gambling at a young age because there's a plethora of free games available to them but they "only" spend money here and there.

Hell, I'm planning on keeping my 3DS in tip-top shape and I'll happily let my kid play on it

Yeah, the games fun early on, but then the requirements for advancing keep going up and up until its just a huge grind to pressure you for money. Like every other free to play mobile game.

before final release you could earn red rings rather well, nothing too fast but possible to walk away with some red rings after a little gameplay, now you get a fistful of gravel for your troubles as well as video adverts everywhere and worse game performance in general.

ZeroGravity

Parental controls and good parenting doesn't excuse scummy, gross business practices. This is an issue that goes beyond your kids. It's damaging to the industry as a whole.

I just put some more time into it, and yeah, Eggman used to cough up a LOT more Red Rings during the special segments and big boss fights. I know it was dice roll, but it's very occasional now.

I also Perfect Cleared a boss fight, and didn't get a Special Egg, which was part of the reason I was playing (trying to get one last free go at Genesis Sonic), so that's crappy.

Gah, whale hunting. I only played Sonic Runners during its soft launch, but does anyone know whether these extra characters are the sort of thing only completionists/really engaged players would be bothered about?

I'm really interested to see how Nintendo plans to not resort to this kind of thing with their five mobile games. Iwata said they will aim "wide and small" rather than "narrow and large", referring to how he wants their games to bring in a more evenly distributed amount of revenue from a larger number of players.

That plan will work about as well as people only buying one or two amiibo unless Nintendo implements spending caps, which, to be fair, it already has in that Pokemon Rumble F2P game.

Mupod

I mean, I've pissed away more than enough money on F2P crap like marvel heroes and planetside 2, my rationale being I like to support games I spend hundreds of hours playing. But I get this gross feeling whenever I see my younger foster brother begging for app store cards so he can blow 20 bucks on some nameless shovelware's IAP. Because I know exactly what it's like to get addicted to that kind of thing, even if I have objectively better taste in the imaginary bullshit I waste my money on.

What's the difference between this and FIFA/Madden/NHL Ultimate Team, where the chances of getting your favourite player/a top level player in a pack of cards that you can "earn" (slowly) or pay money for are WAY less than 6%, please?

you're only upset because Sonic's doing it

I got Classic Sonic on my first roll and am one of the top players in the top division. I haven't paid a cent.

Fnord

If a parent doesn't see anything wrong with it, I'm good with it. There's nothing inherently immoral about gambling. Like most things, the problem comes with over indulging.

*Disclaimer - I can count on one hand (probably) the number of times I've gambled. Just not much of a draw for me. I don't begrudge others, however.

Top Bottom