• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I REALLY want a good realistic animal simulator

Walpurgis

Banned
The only one that I know of is Shelter 2 on PC.
Guide a powerful Lynx through vast open landscapes. Give birth to your cubs, raise and strengthen them by mastering your skills for hunting prey. Explore the wild beauty of nature and do everything possible to prepare your family for the vicious entities dwelling on the cold tundra.

I want a multiplayer animal simulator with a fully functioning ecosystem that revolves around evolution. Something like what is written above about Shelter 2. For example, I want to be able to start as a baby gorilla and survive relying on my mother then grow up to find a mate to reproduce with. As a male gorilla, I would be focused on mating with as many female gorillas as I can and as a female gorilla, I would focus on taking care of my gorilla babies. The goal would be to ensure that your genes are passed on because your gorilla will eventually die and when that happens, you will play as the baby gorillas. There can even be stat progression that is passed onto the offspring under the guise of evolution.

The game should also focus on finding food. Each species should have different energy requirements that are satisfied based on what they should eat. For example, gorillas are primarily vegetarian so eating meat would not help much in meeting their energy requirements but eating vegetation would. Hyenas are assholes and scavengers so they should get more energy from eating animals killed by other animals (stealing food), including their own kind since they are cannibals. Lions are powerful hunters so they should have LARGE energy requirements that are satisfied by animals that they hunt themselves or with their pride. This would ensure a reasonable population and it would allow for them to be "overpowered" when it comes to fighting other animals (but that would be balanced by the amount of hunting they would need to do to survive). It might also encourage lions to work together as they do in real life. These are just a few examples.

The idea is to use gameplay mechanics to encourage (but not completely force since this should be a sandbox) real life animal-like behaviour. A male gorilla may be monogamous and help take care of his offspring like a penguin if he wants, just as a lion can hunt alone. Hopefully, this would lead to similar social structures to real life animals. To help facilitate that, communication between players (and animal AI) could be limited to emotes (barks, growls, etc.).

Players might be able to spawn as any animal they want but depending on their population and other factors, survival could be harder. I would want as many species in an ecosystem to give a realistic feel. I'm not a game designer so maybe someone can think of more moment-to-moment gameplay things to do as different animals. I think tree climbing, swimming, flying and swinging from tree to tree should be a no-brainers for traversal.

I don't think an animal simulator of this kind would work with every player playing as every animal because some animals might be boring and the game would require too many players to have realistic populations. It could work using something like For Honour's or MOBA's mechanic where a bunch of the animals are AI but some of them are players (and the players might be stronger?).

With the recent popularity of stuff like DayZ, Rust and other open-world sandbox survival games, a game like this could do really well. Ark is actually what inspired me with this because I looked at it and thought "I don't want to play as a human, I want to be a dinosaur!". I understand why we follow humans in movies like Jurassic Park but I think it's a missed opportunity for games.

TL;DR: Imagine being able to play in different ecosystems (Amazon rainforest, African savannah, Antarctica, East Asia, North American temperate forests, East Asia, AUSTRALIA!, etc.) with different climates, fully functioning weather system that affects resources and survival, as different animals in an open-world multiplayer sandbox with a fully functioning ecosystem. I think this would be incredible. What do you guys think?

kubus

Not exactly what you're looking for but have you played Deadly Creatures OP? Surprisingly awesome game.

I know it is not exactly what you want, but I now have urge to go back to...

QlRD4p2.png

Arrage

Banned
Animal life isn't as interesting as you think.

There just isn't any gameplay that you can have with an animal. What does a lion do? He hunts once a day and then sleeps or lays for the rest of it. It is even worse with crocs, they hunt even less. Other vegetarian animals (Gorillas and Pandas) probably spend most of their day eating plants.

And from the technical standpoint, creating fully animated animal is much harder than human. Imagine creating a Lara Croft character without mocap for every animal. An animal must be able to swim, climb, jump, pounce, balance etc. Any indie or low budget game would result in below average animations that don't react with the rest of the world. Creating ecosystems is also a BIG task. And the important question, what if there aren't enough players in the world?

Firebrand

I'm reminded of the games Wolf and ... whatever the other one was, though I don't think they were nearly as complex as the idea you're describing.

Seanspeed

Banned
Haven't played Shelter 2 but the first one was interesting. Wasn't a great game but it was a cool proof of concept that definitely made me want something far more fleshed out.

impact

Banned
TOKYO JUNGLE is amazing, and there's lots of animals to choose from.

It's the best survival game I've played in years.

There just isn't any gameplay that you can have with an animal. What does a lion do? He hunts once a day and then sleeps or lays for the rest of it. It is even worse with crocs, they hunt even less. Other vegetarian animals (Gorillas and Pandas) probably spend most of their day eating plants.

Im this regard Tokyo Jungle actually condenses animal life to pure gameplay. (And is awesome)

Cryxo93

Banned
The Hunter
The_Hunter_Jungle_With_Deer.jpg

You don't so much play as an animal but as a hunter. And you hunt and kill animals. Yes. This is what you want right??

Have you heard of Rain World?
http://youtu.be/ernPmYEg0k0

You're a slugcat, both predator and prey in a dynamic intelligent ecosystem in an open world. You have to venture out and hunt while avoiding or dealing with predators. You can even find little pups to care for

InsignificantAdmirableAmericancurl.gif

DeafeningWellmadeBaldeagle.gif

34839917557c15a118ef2367896b63d8_large.gif

44ddAli.gif

Wiktor

Sanctuary Wood's Wolf and Lion games were AFAIR pretty much the only attempts at realistic animal games.

Wolf_5.png
Lion_5.png

Caronte

And from the technical standpoint, creating fully animated animal is much harder than human. Imagine creating a Lara Croft character without mocap for every animal. An animal must be able to swim, climb, jump, pounce, balance etc. Any indie or low budget game would result in below average animations that don't react with the rest of the world. Creating ecosystems is also a BIG task. And the important question, what if there aren't enough players in the world?

It doesn't need to be 100% realistic. You won't spend 20 years playing the same animal either.

I like your idea OP

Walpurgis

Banned
That "wild" game from Michel Ancel?
That game looks really cool and might sort of scartch that itch but it looks like it's a fantasy game.
14896237575_dcae81d138_z.jpg

Still hyped as hell for it.
Have you heard of Rain World?
http://youtu.be/ernPmYEg0k0

You're a slugcat, both predator and prey in a dynamic intelligent ecosystem in an open world. You have to venture out and hunt while avoiding or dealing with predators. You can even find little pups to care for.
I've heard of it but I didn't know it had animal sim aspects. That looks kind of cool but it's not exactly what I had in mind (3D open-world sandbox multiplayer). I might check it out though.
The Hunter
You don't so much play as an animal but as a hunter. And you hunt and kill animals. Yes. This is what you want right??
:(
You oughta play Tokyo Jungle
I actually bought it on sale for $1 a long time ago in case I wanted to play it but never got around to it.
It isn't what I had in mind but I will definitely play it, as it is probably be as close as I can get for a good while.

I haven't played Shelter 2, but the first one is like a knock-off Call of Duty campaign. Terrible game.

Sanctuary Wood's Wolf and Lion games were AFAIR pretty much the only attempts at realistic animal games.

Wolf_5.png
Lion_5.png

These are the closest I've played to what op is looking for.

cubivore is nice, not real animals but there's a circle of life thing going on there with evolution. hunting, eating, mating, and you keep playing as your mutated offspring. great game :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiYr5beoCB8

I actually bought Wolf on a whim 17 years ago, but I hardly ever played it. It was fairly complex IIRC.

should have gotten operation wolf instead, it's a true wolf of the battlefield simulator

Stiler

I remember a game I played when I was young, you played as a fish, the goal was to eat other fish and grow , you had to watch out for the big fish (sharks, etc) that could eat you and try to evolve into the biggest fish you could.

It seems like a huge missed opportunity imo for games to just always focus on humanoids instead of trying new gameplay with different animals and things.

I have high hopes for the upcoming game, Wild, which is going to allow you to play as just about anything, it had a trailer debut at Gamescon last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYw2X2iYLw

In the game you can choose what to play as, humans, wolves, fish, horse, sheep, boar, all kinds of things.

It's even going to have mutliplayer.

L Thammy

SimAnt is my favourite animal simulator. You could leave scent trails, adjust the caste distribution, and assemble a huge posse to fuck with spiders. Or you could switch your control over to a spider and go on a killing spree. I don't think it would be Maxis-like, but I wish they made a sequel with multiple campaigns. Gave you an excuse to make vastly different kinds of colonies.

I remember a game I played when I was young, you played as a fish, the goal was to eat other fish and grow , you had to watch out for the big fish (sharks, etc) that could eat you and try to evolve into the biggest fish you could.

Sounds a little bit like EVO: The Search for Eden.

petran79

Banned
If you dont mind animals in captivity:

You can try the first 2 Zoo Tycoon games
They offer a lot of animals and offer conservation and reproduction options as well

Though it has to do with imaginary animals, try also the Creatures franchise.

Top Bottom