• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie responds to talks about how much he makes

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
PewDiePie's response to the stories online about him making $7.5 million in 2014.

If you don't want to watch the video, here's The Verge's article about it: http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/7/8909553/pewdiepie-7-4-million-response-felix-kjellberg-youtube

This was brought up a in the PewDiePie topic, but most are going in there to hit-and-run with distaste for his popularity, and since it's been going the rounds online I think this is important to bring up on its own.

Being the most well-known gamer in the world, I do think this is worth a talking about, especially when people's initial knee-jerk reaction is to assume the worst of these things. "Someone who yells and screams at games on YouTube makes that much," and similar such outrage. But I think Felix brings up some good points, and think it's easy to try and fit things into a cynic viewpoint to fit things into our way of viewing things. He doesn't say anything revolutionary new, but does say his viewpoint and more of the 'business' of how it works.

While I'm personally not a fan of his videos, I don't think he's a bad person, and he does entertain millions and isn't sleazing his way to the top or anything. I say good on him for managing to do it.

He produces content that millions of people enjoy that has a media value. I don't know why people are so surprised he earns coin from it.

I don't watch his stuff but he's done well for himself.

People think creating content is easy. It really isn't.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I hate the stuff he does. Other people like it, he makes money off it. Seems fair to me.
I also hate a lot of popular music but don't complain that they make a shiton of money.

Draft

He is not fleecing anyone. He doesn't try to sell anything sleazy or exploitative. He puts a dumb show on the internet, millions of people watch, and advertisers give him money to run their ads. It distresses me when this guy is criticized as if he does something scummy or worthless.

I don't like 95% of the stuff on TV, but I don't question the effort and talent that goes into creating something like The Bachelor. Gamers can be so self hating and I think that's sad.

Kouriozan

I used to watch his videos when he started and continued with horror games, but then he diversified and changed his behavior and just found him not as entertaining as before.

But I'm glad for him that he managed to find an even bigger audience.

Lothar

Banned
He sounds like a super villain when he laughs. 2:28 That's definitely the laugh of someone who gets millions of dollars for playing games and talking about them.

ghibli99

Good video... actually makes me want to watch more of his stuff. Internet rage over things like this is just thinly veiled jealousy. More power to him.

jacobeid

Banned
I said this in the other thread and I'll repeat it here:

I wish I had as many people that cared about my day-to-day work as PewDiePie. The money wouldn't hurt either.

He's a guy who stumbled into something that ended up working out very well for him. People need to chill the fuck out. You think if the shoe were on the other foot you'd have people giving the money back? Get real.

PewDiePie's response to the stories online about him making $7.5 million in 2014.[/URL][/B]

If you don't want to watch the video, here's The Verge's article about it:

This was brought up a in the PewDiePie topic, but most are going in there to hit-and-run with distaste for his popularity, and since it's been going the rounds online I think this is important to bring up on its own.

Being the most well-known gamer in the world, I do think this is worth a talking about, especially when people's initial knee-jerk reaction is to assume the worst of these things. "Someone who yells and screams at games on YouTube makes that much," and similar such outrage. But I think Felix brings up some good points, and think it's easy to try and fit things into a cynic viewpoint to fit things into our way of viewing things. He doesn't say anything revolutionary new, but does say his viewpoint and more of the 'business' of how it works.

While I'm personally not a fan of his videos, I don't think he's a bad person, and he does entertain millions and isn't sleazing his way to the top or anything. I say good on him for managing to do it.
You do have good intentions OT.

However, linking to one of his videos or a website article is part of the problem or the problem people have with the personality and the situation in the first place. The information should be openly disscussed in this topic and devoid of any type of compromises or attachments.

Btw, i have no qualms with this youtube personality. Infact, i find it kind of amazing what seems to be an average person (at least his gaming and comedic skills) could find so much fortune in todays world.

KJRS_1993

I'd act like a dick as well if I made that sort of money.
He found an act which works really well and found an audience for it. Evidently, it's made him a lot of money.
Fair play to the geezer - just jealous I didn't think of it first!

It's a decent response. He comes off really humble. Never really watched his stuff, I'm jealous he makes so much but he has a demographic and he caters to them so it isn't like the money isn't deserved.

I mean look at all those singers. They sing at nothing and earn millions. They don't deserve it.
/s

Jarrod38

Nothing against the man but couldn't make it pass 20 seconds with those quick cuts. Have no problem with him making that kind of money.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I don't watch him, but I'm curious, does he ever recommend other channels? Shout outs? Things like that.

While I don't watch him either, I do know he plays games with quite a few other YouTubers, on his and their channels, and mentions in the video if you want to support someone else on YouTube to watch their videos, refresh, watch ads, as that's what gets them the money they make to support their hobby and be able to bring out the videos you want.

I don't care about his content and I'm incredibly jelly of his bankroll but that's about it. I don't hate the guy for that, I'm just peanut butter and jelly

Everdred

I was on the hate train before I truly watched some of his videos. He really seems like a good guy and he is very honest with the audience.

He's honestly not a bad dude so w/e. I don't care about his content but he's not really going out of his way to offend anyone or make really dumb statements, he's done some mild shilling but if he's interested in the game then that's up to him. His audience may or may not buy into it. As he said himself having a lot of money doesn't really make you happy, he can live a comfortable life and that's about it.

I've heard of him but that's the first of his videos I have seen. Hmm, good looking guy doing a video game youtube channel get paid? Doesn't sound too extraordinary to me.

His videos are some of the most cringe-worthy things I've ever watched, but I wonder why he feels the need to explain why he's making mad bank?

Lothar

Banned
Good on him, people love to hate him but he came across as earnest and likeable in this video.

He said one likable thing in the video. That was how someone had a point and soldiers do deserve it more, but oh... he was being sarcastic. That was honestly shocking to me. Jesus, he's terrible.

egruntz

shelaughz
I don't get why this would be a heated discussion in the first place. He's entertainment. A lot of people like him--that volume brings in the dough. If his persona's not your cup of tea, all good, but it still makes sense that he makes money for his content.

Einbroch

Banned
I don't see how this is anything new. Actors get paid millions for "shitty" shows. The three main actors on The Big Band Theory gets paid over a million dollars an episode.

Let people complain, they're all just jealous anyway.

I'd act like a dick as well if I made that sort of money.
He found an act which works really well and found an audience for it. Evidently, it's made him a lot of money.
Fair play to the geezer - just jealous I didn't think of it first!
Speaking generally here:

But i don't think if you did this first, it would have necessarily meant you would be swimming in 7.5 million in a year. i don't even think he was the first person doing this kind of stuff. This makes me think that it would be rather interesting to see the chain of events that put him in the position he enjoys today.

Or possibly is just something akin to winning the lottery, which wouldn't make the retrospective as interesting.

Erevador

Have never sat through his game videos. I'm not his demographic.

But the guy seems like a total class act and a sweetheart.

Deserves his success.

Servbot24

Banned
He shouldn't even have to give a response. I'm not even sure what he's responding to. Probably the same type of people who spend energy being upset that Taylor Swift is rich?

I clicked the video, then realized he was making money from me watching a video of him talking about how much money he's making.

S8hAvGM.jpg

The bullshit people give him for just getting big without any shady moves is lame as hell, honestly.

Like, how sad do you have to be to sling so much hate towards someone who does something you, arbitrarily, don't find to be contributing to society. Some of you all need help.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Good for him. Who the fuck am I to say how much money he should be making? All the hate is %100 pure jealousy. Jealousy is a motherfucker, isnt it?

drspeedy

While I can't be overly upset at someone finding creative ways to monetize entertainment (think Rob Schneider movies), this is a poorly veiled brag video, and epitomizes half the problems everyone has with him.

He's more CartmanBrah than reality. Sad when the parody is truth.

vareon

Youtube personalities playing video games isn't for me, but he does find audience, his audience apparently loved what he did, and he made money from what he loved. He seems like a pretty chill guy anyway.

Servbot24

Banned
While I can't be overly upset at someone finding creative ways to monetize entertainment (think Rob Schneider movies), this is a poorly veiled brag video, and epitomizes half the problems everyone has with him.

He's more CartmanBrah than reality. Sad when the parody is truth.

If a man is insulted or slandered against he should have the right to respond.

Salsa

it's pretty crazy the hate this guy gets, at leats in terms of realizing how so much of general hate in the world comes from pure jealousy

this dude makes bank, has a hot girlfriend who also makes bank from youtube, a huge house, moved her and then him to another country purely cause of his youtube job, and does virtually no harm

yet people bring him up when talking about "people getting money they don't deserve" or even discussing just fucking capitalism or whatever

really dude, your example of money going to the wrong people is gonna be fucking pewdiepie?

edit: just in case; i've never even seen more than like half a video of his and I can't stand his content. who cares

Vex_

Banned
I'm more bothered by the fact that he is actually taking the time to respond to a few haters. It is like pissing in an ocean isn't it?

I mean, millions of people watch him.... Why bother with haters.

I dont even remember this guy exists until I hear about his haters in the news. I guess that is why?

Trace

Banned
I'm more bothered by the fact that he is actually taking the time to respond to a few haters. It is like pissing in an ocean isn't it?

I dont even remember this guy exists until I hear about his hatera in the news. I guess that is why?

He makes money by making videos, why not make a video about you chatting about making money? Makes him money and it's not like he has anything better to do.

CHC

I don't think I could have said it any better.

I have nothing against him whatsoever. I actually like a few of his videos - for example, he was one of the first people to stream Alien: Isolation and his enthusiasm was palpable and it was quite enjoyable to watch.

He's an honest dude who does his thing. He's EXTREMELY lucky, but he is also riding that wave of luck in a very skillful way, and that's not an accident. Admit it or not, it takes a unique skill set to maintain and manage that big an audience and keep them interested, so more power to him for that.

I dont even remember this guy exists until I hear about his hatera in the news. I guess that is why?

His response is a testament to his way of doing things - he is very active with his fans, for better or worse, so the dynamic is also like some kind of club / radio-show type thing where the community plays a big part. Sort of one of the big reasons he is so popular, he runs kind of a dialogue with fans and keeps it going even if it starts to seem negative towards him. Many other people would just ignore it but, good or bad, fans like to be responded to and paid attention to.

Top Bottom